PDA

View Full Version : Cold Winter Payment

Julia
18-Feb-09, 23:36
I received one today, that was a nice surprise, I didn't even know I was eligible for one. Apparently it is paid for every week that the average temperature is freezing or below freezing. I honestly thought it was only pensioners who received it.

dragonfly
18-Feb-09, 23:40
are you hiding your age from us Julia ;)

zeppellin
18-Feb-09, 23:45
I received one today, that was a nice surprise, I didn't even know I was eligible for one. Apparently it is paid for every week that the average temperature is freezing or below freezing. I honestly thought it was only pensioners who received it.
Who was it that sent you this payment?

Julia
18-Feb-09, 23:47
Who was it that sent you this payment?

It was from the Job Centre

zeppellin
18-Feb-09, 23:49
It was from the Job Centre
I take it you have to be unemployed to recieve it then.

Julia
18-Feb-09, 23:54
Just checked out the directgov website and I am eligible as I am on Tax Credits and have a child under 5.

I am not unemployed, I'm voluntarily not working in a paying job for the foreseeable future.

sjr014
18-Feb-09, 23:57
[QUOTE=Julia;505292]Just checked out the directgov website and I am eligible as I am on Tax Credits and have a child under 5.

That'sinteresting must check as i could be entitled to that also! Did it get paid direct into ur bank?

Julia
19-Feb-09, 00:01
That's interesting must check as i could be entitled to that also! Did it get paid direct into ur bank?

It was, I had no idea what it was for until I received the letter today.

poppett
19-Feb-09, 00:03
Thank you Julia. I knew about the scheme but although it has been paid out four or five times in England we are regulated from Wick airport and it hadn`t been that cold for long enough, until last week.

We are eligible as OH has Pension Credit.

ShelleyCowie
19-Feb-09, 00:18
Anybody have a link to it? :Razz

take it i wont be eligable? (Spelling)

poppett
19-Feb-09, 00:23
Just "google" Cold weather payment for full information and qualifying criteria.

Venture
19-Feb-09, 00:25
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Over50s/Benefits/ConcessionsAndOtherHelp/DG_10018668

Here you go Shelley.

ShelleyCowie
19-Feb-09, 00:27
Na i aint eligible.

everything i look up i cana get lol

kriklah
19-Feb-09, 08:40
Just checked out the directgov website and I am eligible as I am on Tax Credits and have a child under 5.

I am not unemployed, I'm voluntarily not working in a paying job for the foreseeable future.

im exactly the same, 2 kids under 5, child tax credits, not working, but am not entitled to income support or job seekers allowance. thing is the site says your entitled to the weather payment if on those benefits and meet the stated conditions(kid under 5 etc), doesnt say if eligable if only getting tax credits. might have to chase this one up, see if i am entitled.

Kenn
19-Feb-09, 11:21
The payment is activated by post code so that might explain why some of you have recieved it and others not.

hotrod4
19-Feb-09, 11:46
I checked also and am on Tax credits but it doesnt allow me as I am working and not receiving benefits. Seems to be benefits and pension credit only, no mention of Tax credits on the website?:confused

ShelleyCowie
19-Feb-09, 11:47
I checked also and am on Tax credits but it doesnt allow me as I am working and not receiving benefits. Seems to be benefits and pension credit only, no mention of Tax credits on the website?:confused

I searched the net high and low last night. Im definetely not entitled to the cold winter payment.

Think am going to have to go to the CAB though because there seems to be something wrong with my tax credits and they wont listen on the phone! Just keep ignoring what i am sayin! :mad:

Angela
19-Feb-09, 12:14
It is a means tested benefit I think.

I receive disability benefits, but I'm not eligible for cold weather payments as I have fractionally too much in savings to get income support (anything over £6,000 is taken into account) and I'd need to get income support to qualify for cold weather payments.:roll:

The tariff used by DWP which 'assumes' an income of £1 a week for every £250 of savings was always much too high -now that interest rates have fallen so much it bears no relation whatsover to reality - what you are likely to get per week for £250 invested works out at about 5p I think! As they say -do the math! :mad:

But DWP continue to assume you are getting this money in interest every week. Ironically if I just spent some of my savings DWP would give me the same amount in income support that they 'assume' I am getting -but in fact am not getting! -in interest on my savings.

A DWP advisor suggested I should simply 'get rid of' some of my extra savings so that I'd qualify for income support and would end up better off - I would then get free prescriptions and yes, cold weather payments. Folk with disabilities could certainly be doing with cold weather payments since they don't get out much and need to keep their homes warm. But those of us who've very modest savings that we've managed to hang onto over a lifetime of working do find it reasssuring to have a wee bit of money to fall back on in an emergency. I suppose I could stuff some money under the mattress and just pretend I didn't have it -but I'm too honest to do that.

Many pensioners and disabled people have relied on getting some interest on their savings to pay for little extras or one -off annual expenses. They won't have this money coming in any more with interest rates so low, but the government/council do not allow for this when calculating pension credit, income support, LHA or CT benefit. I did hear someone admitting on TV the other day that older people will now be expected to use most of their savings just to survive.:(

Gizmo
19-Feb-09, 12:40
Na i aint eligible.

everything i look up i cana get lol

Last time i looked up something i couldna get i got a slap...it was the wifes skirt:D

ShelleyCowie
19-Feb-09, 12:43
Last time i looked up something i couldna get i got a slap...it was the wifes skirt:D

hahahahahahahahahaha.....pmsl!

router
19-Feb-09, 13:05
As far as things go you have to recieve income support to recieve this cold weather payment or a pension.Everyone who gets tax credits because they have children do not automatically recieve it, you must get some form of job seekers or income support to recieve this payment. My sister worked in the benefits office in kilmarnock and thats how i know.

Does "not voluntarily not woking in an unpaid job" mean you are not actively seeking employment im confused.

Bazeye
19-Feb-09, 15:33
It is a means tested benefit I think.

I receive disability benefits, but I'm not eligible for cold weather payments as I have fractionally too much in savings to get income support (anything over £6,000 is taken into account) and I'd need to get income support to qualify for cold weather payments.:roll:

The tariff used by DWP which 'assumes' an income of £1 a week for every £250 of savings was always much too high -now that interest rates have fallen so much it bears no relation whatsover to reality - what you are likely to get per week for £250 invested works out at about 5p I think! As they say -do the math! :mad:

But DWP continue to assume you are getting this money in interest every week. Ironically if I just spent some of my savings DWP would give me the same amount in income support that they 'assume' I am getting -but in fact am not getting! -in interest on my savings.

A DWP advisor suggested I should simply 'get rid of' some of my extra savings so that I'd qualify for income support and would end up better off - I would then get free prescriptions and yes, cold weather payments. Folk with disabilities could certainly be doing with cold weather payments since they don't get out much and need to keep their homes warm. But those of us who've very modest savings that we've managed to hang onto over a lifetime of working do find it reasssuring to have a wee bit of money to fall back on in an emergency. I suppose I could stuff some money under the mattress and just pretend I didn't have it -but I'm too honest to do that.

Many pensioners and disabled people have relied on getting some interest on their savings to pay for little extras or one -off annual expenses. They won't have this money coming in any more with interest rates so low, but the government/council do not allow for this when calculating pension credit, income support, LHA or CT benefit. I did hear someone admitting on TV the other day that older people will now be expected to use most of their savings just to survive.:(

Thats the trouble now. You scrimp and save all your life and you get punished for it. You spend it all on gambling,drink,drugs or whatever and you get rewarded for it.....hmmmm....theres a moral there somewhere.

Angela
19-Feb-09, 16:15
Thats the trouble now. You scrimp and save all your life and you get punished for it. You spend it all on gambling,drink,drugs or whatever and you get rewarded for it.....hmmmm....theres a moral there somewhere.

Well, I do appreciate that many people simply can't afford to save, especially now.

I just wish the government and the DWP in particular would be honest about how they work and stop this pretense that they reward folk for trying to be prudent! :roll: What they give with the one hand they take back with interest with the other. [evil]