PDA

View Full Version : barking dog

LRM
16-Feb-09, 16:25
I have a 6 year old Jack Russell who has always barked when someone came to the door but now he is barking if anyone closes their car door in the street or if he hears someone walking past the house, or at postie , binmen etc. It is driving me crackers. There has been no change in his life at home, he appears well and happy. He barks mainly in the house but also barks at anyone when he is in the garden. He never barks when out walking. Can anyone recommend what to do. I have looked on the web and there is loads of different advice. Do anti bark collars work? I could put up with it before but now it is worse and he howls like a mad thing and gives everyone in the house a fright when he does it. Help, please!!!

router
16-Feb-09, 17:39
I dont think anti bark collars work well. We got one for our dog and it did not do anything.
There does not have to be a change in his lifestyle for him to change his behaviour. If he feeks at all that you are not in charge eg;pack leader. If you touch the dog whilst he is doing this he will feel that it is the right thing to do. You need to stiop him the minute he starts barking with a quick no. Never repeat a command as he will learn to ignore this. You need to keep ontop of him. our dog started to bark at things and we stopped it there and then, he now only lets out one or two barks if someone knocks on the door and then retreats to his cushion. I can only recommend you watch the dog whisperer on sat 3 at 7pm every night and you will see what a pack leader musy do to stop behaviour issues on dogs. My oh has used the dog whisperer to succesfully on a staffie and other dogs.Once a habit is formed the dog will never stop unless you take over the leadership roll only then will he feel secure enough to relax.

Sorry if it seems strong but humans are the cause for most problems in a dog. and unless we stop looking at dogs and using human mentality on them there will always be problems.

Dog barks we think protecting. a dog in a pack has no reason to bark unless injured or affraid. normally its the packleader who is vocal not a submissve dog.

majic
16-Feb-09, 20:28
yes i agree ask ceaser:)

Liz
18-Feb-09, 14:09
Well talking of Caesar I have used one of his methods on Benjy who barks a lot and it has worked.
When I want to stop him barking I just stand in front of him and stand as if I am in charge ie legs apart and 'confident' pose (hard to explain!:lol:) and then just point my finger at him. He then stops barking!

Caesar is a genius!!!!:D

Boss
18-Feb-09, 23:49
I have a 6 year old Jack Russell who has always barked when someone came to the door but now he is barking if anyone closes their car door in the street or if he hears someone walking past the house, or at postie , binmen etc. It is driving me crackers. There has been no change in his life at home, he appears well and happy. He barks mainly in the house but also barks at anyone when he is in the garden. He never barks when out walking. Can anyone recommend what to do. I have looked on the web and there is loads of different advice. Do anti bark collars work? I could put up with it before but now it is worse and he howls like a mad thing and gives everyone in the house a fright when he does it. Help, please!!!

He is young enough to learn, therefore, a short sharp shock, namely, a quick spray of cold water on his face every time he barks out of turn.
Its quick, painless and it works.
A spray, point your finger and firmly tell him NO.
He'll get your drift in no time.
Good Luck.