PDA

View Full Version : Plusnet - Windows Mail - Squirrel Mail

daviddd
15-Feb-09, 13:27
My Plusnet account uses Squirrel Mail as a web server and I use Windows Mail on my laptop. I sent several e-mails via SM whilst away from home last week but when I returned home and connected to WM in the usual way (POP?) these sent items were not in my WM Sent Items folder.

However, e-mails I read via SM whilst away showed up OK in WM on my return and they were marked Unread.

I've tried all options in SM and WM but can't see any settings to enable sent items to always be copied into WM when I'm away. What's going on here guys? I need to keep copies of SM-sent items and don't want to have to send them all from SM to WM one by one!

Bobinovich
15-Feb-09, 20:36
I would suggest the easiest way to ensure you receive a copy for future reference is to always include your e-mail address in the bcc: box when composing a mail while using SM - that way, when you get home, those mails will arrive in your Inbox and you can drag them into your Sent Items.

daviddd
15-Feb-09, 21:03
I would suggest the easiest way to ensure you receive a copy for future reference is to always include your e-mail address in the bcc: box when composing a mail while using SM - that way, when you get home, those mails will arrive in your Inbox and you can drag them into your Sent Items.Hmmm - never thought of that! Good point B, thanks.

lazytown
16-Feb-09, 00:03
You need to setup your mail client to use IMAP instead of POP3.
here is what plusnet say and the settings you require:

IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) Mail

IMAP allows you to read your mail, store it on the server and place your messages in folders on the server rather than downloading the messages to your computer first. IMAP email is available using the following servers:
Incoming (IMAP) Mail Server: imap.plus.net
Outgoing (SMTP) Mail Server: relay.plus.net
To set up your email software simply follow the instructions set out above, replacing the incoming mail server with imap.plus.net and selecting the type of mail account as IMAP rather than POP3. Further help on how to use IMAP mail will be available in your email software documentation.
So that you don’t use too much storage you should regularly 'spring clean' your email, saving your most important emails to your hard-drive to keep them safe. Do try to delete spam and non-vital email regularly.

daviddd
16-Feb-09, 14:15
Ta L - but where do I enter these settings - in Squirrelmail?

lazytown
16-Feb-09, 14:35
you put them into the account settings of your windows mail client on your laptop.