PDA

View Full Version : message for vandals and their parents

jay
14-Feb-09, 10:01
This is a message for the delighful person who thought it was a good idea to come onto my driveway on Thursday night and run a sharp object down the side of my car - I want to tell you it's not clever, it's not smart and it's definately not fun! I fail to see what enjoyment you get out of this behaviour and why you'd want to do something like that to a complete stranger. I presume you are a teenager since this happened after 10.00pm, and all I can say is that I really hope that in a few years when you learn to drive - and are no doubt bombing around the town in your pride and joy - that some other mindless thug thinks it's funny to do the same thing to you - you just might think back to your behaviour and realise the upset you have caused.

To the parents: do know where your teenager was after 10.00pm on Thursday night? Do you actually check where they are or who they are with? When you hear stories of people or their property being attacked do you ever talk to your kids to tell them how stupid that kind of behaviour is? No-one wants to believe that their child would do such a thing - and most of them wouldn't - but your child might have been there, just in a crowd - knowing what was going on.

I now face a very costly repair bill ( or the cost of my insurance going sky high) and the problem of how to get to work while the car is being fixed - all for a few seconds"pleasure"

That and the prospect that when it's fixed there is nothing to say it won't happen again

gleeber
14-Feb-09, 10:09
I had a similar incident last year. It's really maddening. Hundreds of pounds worth of damage.
My immediate reaction was also teenager but I quickly got that idea out of my head because it is very unfair on teenagers. The truth is it could be anyone. Threse a lot of it around.

brandy
14-Feb-09, 10:11
same thing happened to my car last year.. and it wasnt a teen like we thought but a woman in her 30-40s i think... they caught her...but think we will ever be reimbursed?

jay
14-Feb-09, 10:16
you are right it is unfair to most teenagers but there has been a crowd hanging around here recently - throwing snowballs at windows etc - (and no we didn't chase them or shout at them or anything) I find it hard to believe an adult would randomly do this and I'm pretty sure it would not have been a child at that time of night but I am sorry if yiu feel I am unfairly targeting teenagers and you are right that I have no proof- as I said the majority of them would not dream of behaving like that - but it's the odd one that is the problem

gleeber
14-Feb-09, 10:30
It's unlikely the police will ever find them. I'm of the opinion that when teenagers do something stupid they cant help but tell someone and then they may get caught. Other wise it's unlikely whoever done it will ever get caught.
It's traumatic though. Thats the problem with crime. There are always victims.

ShelleyCowie
14-Feb-09, 11:52
That is really awful! I dont understand where people get their "kicks" as to vandalise. Its not necessary. And as you said its not fun.

I do feel quite lucky living in a very quiet area of Thurso. I have never heard of any vandalism in my area.

unicorn
14-Feb-09, 11:56
It's not just kids, we have had someone regularly messing with our wiper blades, strange but true always at the weekend, very late at night. Sometimes they lift them other times they loosen them so that they fly off when you turn them on.

router
14-Feb-09, 12:30
your right it is unfair on all teens. they are not all bad. How can you be sure that it aint an adult with maybe a grudge against you for unknown reasons to yourself. If it had been teens then i would have thought they would have done more than just one car. not single out one. Most gangs of teens work in the way to do as much damage as makes them happy and find it strange that only your car was done.

We got up one morning to find someone had put a wheelie bin trhough the drivers window, did not take long to find out who and why this happened. It was not a croud of teens but adults who were being macho when drunk throwing wheelie bins unfortunately someones aim was off.
So maybe next time you have some damage dont be so quick to assume its teens. :roll:

anneoctober
14-Feb-09, 12:35
At the end of the day, NO ONE should behave like this kids, teens OR adults. As my mam used to say what goes around comes around. :(

Kevin Milkins
14-Feb-09, 12:44
Do you have a paper delivered by somone on a push bike?

I know over here in Wick it has happend that the lad rode his bike up to the house door to deliver the paper and scratched the house owners car parked in the drive, and you could here the shouting 3 streets away. :eek:

Just a thought.

anneoctober
14-Feb-09, 12:50
Do you have a paper delivered by somone on a push bike?

I know over here in Wick it has happend that the lad rode his bike up to the house door to deliver the paper and scratched the house owners car parked in the drive, and you could here the shouting 3 streets away. :eek:

Just a thought.
Ye dina want to be cussed by a Weeker, that's for sure.......[lol]

jay
14-Feb-09, 14:11
no paperboy. both sides of car done - we live on a corner - it's easy to be targeted and the culprit to disapear. Shelley Bain I actually think we don't live that far from you and we have heard of quite a few being done recently

unicornleather
14-Feb-09, 15:06
I had something simliar a few years ago but mine was due to a "bunny boiler" who was targetting myself and my family and pets.
She managed to slash the soft top on my Jeep 7 times one night and then came back 2 weeks later to do it again!
I saw it as it could have been worse, it could have been my tyres and I have General Grabbers on it so would have been expensive!
We had pizzas, take aways and taxis turning up at all hours we hadn't ordered, phonecalls and text messages saying how she was going to poison my dogs or take them on a very long walk, beat my parents up (I live with 2 elderly disabled parents) burn the house down, smash the windows all the usual!
I had to get police intervention to get her to leave me alone in the end!
It's not nice being on the receiving end but at least I knew who it was, I imagine it's even worse not knowing Jay?
Oz

ShelleyCowie
14-Feb-09, 15:08
no paperboy. both sides of car done - we live on a corner - it's easy to be targeted and the culprit to disapear. Shelley Bain I actually think we don't live that far from you and we have heard of quite a few being done recently

Oh really...poo! i never hear o any vandalism here! I dont have a car either so they wont be doing anything to that! But most my neighbours have cars!

ecb
14-Feb-09, 17:51
This happened to my parents car when they lived in Thurso, I went out to buy a newspaper and noticed the wiper blade damaged and then I saw another car had been damaged, and another etc. Quite a few cars had been done in a number of streets, so that gave an indication of the route the vandal took.

Vandals are sometime caught, and be Caithness their names appear in the newspaper, so I expect that they will face some censure from decent people.

Bazeye
14-Feb-09, 18:30
same thing happened to my car last year.. and it wasnt a teen like we thought but a woman in her 30-40s i think... they caught her...but think we will ever be reimbursed?

Not suggesting you would do it ,but if I were in your shoes some damage would occur at their house while I was having tea with the local vicar or Chief of Police at the time . Swings and roundabouts.

EDDIE
14-Feb-09, 18:52
Hello jay sorry to hear about your car getting scratched just as a suggestion is it really worth repairing your car if its going to cost u a lot of money the reason im saying that u have to watch that your not going to get targeted again if they see you have fixed it or if they have read your thread?
Depending on how bad the scratch is its suprising how the colour magic polish can hide a lot of that up.
If i was u jay i would leave it a while before fixing it incase they come back and do it again because thats just the type of thing a mindless vandel will do .
Down in aberdeen its quite common to wake u[p in the morning and the whole side of one street has had there side mirrors kicked sad but true.
I think as well these mindless people dont relise that if they vandilise a car and say it cost the owner £300 to fix it they dont relise that thats a lot of money for some people and they have to sacrifice somethings in order to pay for the damage

camor
14-Feb-09, 19:55
I know how it feels for this to happen. Some people say that it is only a scratch, but it is annoying to say the least and expensive. We were getting our vehicles damaged a few years ago. Nails in tyres on Mrs camors truck(4x4 tyres, expensive), deep sctatches on my own car. They even climbed up and scratched the roof of the truck on one occasion. We had a fair idea who was behind it but couldn't prove anything unless we saw the culprit. It has stopped now but been replaced with other forms of harrassment. Some people are not happy unless they are upsetting other but I do believe that they will get their comeupance eventually. I hope you find out who it is Jay.

Phoebus_Apollo
14-Feb-09, 20:09
At the end of the day, NO ONE should behave like this kids, teens OR adults. As my mam used to say what goes around comes around. :(

Never a truer saying anneoctober - the lords of karma always get you back!!

Fluff
14-Feb-09, 20:12
Think that is bad, there was someone/a group going round a year or so ago down here torching peoples cars!! My then driving instructors private car got torched.

There was also a woman, 30'5/40's who went round scratching, defacing cars etc.... too. Caused lots of damage

jay
15-Feb-09, 01:01
I need to speak to my car dealer, my car is under warrenty which covers the body work so I suspect I will need to have it repaired to keep my warranty valid but will clarify that. I should perhaps say the car is only 18 months old - the first and probably the last new car I will ever own.

We were talking about this subject in my local tonight and one guy who's car has been done twice said that he had been told it's now a competition in Thurso with a point scoring system. Obviously there is very little the police can do without information from the public - they cannot watch every car and lets face it as crime goes it's pretty tame - at least no one has been hurt, but the really sad thing is that the people who did it probably don't even think of it as a crime!

lack of respect is sadly a symptom of the society we live in.

ps the scratches are far too deep to polish out

Bazeye
15-Feb-09, 15:39
Think that is bad, there was someone/a group going round a year or so ago down here torching peoples cars!! My then driving instructors private car got torched.

There was also a woman, 30'5/40's who went round scratching, defacing cars etc.... too. Caused lots of damage

Like I posted earlier if you know who did it, do something about it(but dont get caught)