PDA

View Full Version : How secure is your banking.

router
11-Feb-09, 12:45
trying to find out if anyone else has had this happen and not being informed.

We made a payment to bt last night over the phone. all went well no problems. We decided to pay off the remaining section so called up bt and offered payment.The guy on the other end, took all the details and it was declined.
So we decided to pay the rest at the coop with the bt payment card, the transaction was declined.So deciding to get cash out of the machine to pay off the remainder i tried the cash machine transaction declined.
Starting to worry at this time as it seemed we could not use the bank card.
I phoned the bank to find out why i could not use my card when the funds were available, This is the reply

Because we tried to make to payments off the card to bt and one was declined (because bt cannot accept 2 payments over the phone within up to 24hrs of eachother) it automatically sent a message to the bank who shut down the card and put it in the hands of the fraud squad.
All the activity we had tried to pay off bt was ridiculous, and then to find that your banks security can stop your card.
Now this is obviously a good thing as it cuts down fraud, but we were unaware of such a thing in place.
Does your bank have this and do you know about it.

brokencross
11-Feb-09, 13:33
Didn't know about that system, but as you say it does make sense.

Valerie Campbell
11-Feb-09, 13:39
Our bank does this frequently with the credit card but I guess it's a good thing really. However what gets on my goat is the Secure Code system for paying online. I registered my debit card, wrote down my password carefully and made a payment no probs. Then when I tried to do it again a week or so later, it said my password was wrong. It wasn't, but if a site now does the Secure Code method of payment, I just don't use it.

poppett
11-Feb-09, 14:59
Generally its the company i.e.BT, Tesco or whatever who will set up their transaction system to only take one payment in 24 hours for fraud prevention. Morrisons in England were doing this 15 years ago and it was awkward if paying for groceries on a credit card, then something from the kiosk you needed a different card. When I queried it I was told if someone stole a card and went to every checkout with a few items, got cashback on each transaction, the disappeared it is a massive loss to the customer, so in a way they were looking after the customer.

All very well, but they should advertise this and not treat customers like criminals if they try to make two transactions on one card in the same shop.