PDA

View Full Version : Cold lambs

Fran
07-Feb-09, 03:48
So sad to see cold little lambs cuddled up to their mums in the really cold weather near John o Groats this afternoon. Why do farmers make their sheep have lambs at this time of year. It spoils the tradition of easter lambs, and i think its cruel to have lambs born and outside in this terrible weather.

Iffy
07-Feb-09, 11:02
I know what you mean Fran !

I was brought up on a small croft and our wee puckle of sheep never had their lambs 'til early April. Some years (infact three years running !!!) we had heavy snow on the same day that the first sheep lambed. My Dad would then immediately take Mother and lambs inside 'til the weather improved. If there was generally cold, windy weather, my Dad would scatter bales of hay around the field to ensure the sheep had something to shelter against.

Mind you, ANY animal that came onto our croft, left with an identity problem !! They were all SPOILT rotten and became more like people than animals !! I used to (thoroughly !!!) clean out a washing-up bottle, fill it with a mix of treacle and water and our cattle would line up at the fence, mouths wide open, and I would squirt this "lovely" stuff into their mouths - they loved it.

And we all cryed (well my Dad hid it well!!) when the lorry would come to collect the sheep/cows for the sale. We often topped the cattle sale with the price we got for our animals cos their coats always had a beautiful, natural shine due to the way they were cared for.

Lovely childhood days !!! :)

Wellies
07-Feb-09, 11:32
I have lambs at this time of year and they go out during the day if it is nice. Then they come in at night. I actually find when my March or April lambing starts the weather is wetter and less predicable. The sheep that lamb right now are supposed to and the ones in April then. Give another month and there will be lots of lambs around the county with the Texel lambing.

ShelleyCowie
07-Feb-09, 12:05
I love wee lambs! My granny used to let me take a blanket so i could take one home if we passed any i liked but for some reason she always had an excuse as to why we could not stop at a field for a lamb! I was always upset! :~([lol]