PDA

View Full Version : Binoculars or Scope?

bluebell
05-Feb-09, 17:27
Got vouchers to use for Argos so planning new binoculars or a spotting scope but don't have a clue about magnification,zoom,etc:confused: could anyone who has the new Argos book page 479 advise me what ones would be the best,cheers;)

nirofo
06-Feb-09, 15:47
I've just had a look at the Argos catalogue online, if the binoculars and scopes shown there are the same ones in your catalogue I wouldn't bother. Go elsewhere and spend your money, if you can say how much you want to spend I could give you some idea of what to look for.

nirofo.

Mystical Potato Head
06-Feb-09, 23:20
Generally speaking you get what you pay for and this is certainly true regarding optics.I've bought cheap spotting scopes and binoculars in the past and they are usually a waste of money.I now have an 80mm Opticron spotting scope with x20-60 zoom and it is the best thing i have ever looked through,use it for astronomy too.
Certainly agree with Nirofo,go elsewhere.

bluebell
07-Feb-09, 11:45
Thanks nirfo and mystical potato head for advice, willing to spend about £100 what would you recommend and where from?

nirofo
07-Feb-09, 15:14
Thanks nirfo and mystical potato head for advice, willing to spend about £100 what would you recommend and where from?

Here's a couple of web links to Nikon binos that are within your budget. Nikon binoculars are very well made with bright clear optics, I use a pair of 10x40 Nikon myself. You should do well with either of these, they should serve you well until you decide to buy higher spec optics.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1002388&utm_source=shoppingdotcom&utm_medium=comparison&utm_campaign=1002388

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000TXOIP6?ie=UTF8&tag=supa00-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1638&creative=6742&creativeASIN=B000TXOIP6

nirofo.

Pterodroma
07-Feb-09, 18:11
Bluebell

You might find this site useful:

www.which.co.uk/advice/how-to-choose-binoculars/cost-and-where-to-buy/index.jsp (http://www.which.co.uk/advice/how-to-choose-binoculars/cost-and-where-to-buy/index.jsp)

Pterodroma

sprint95m
08-Feb-09, 20:24

I suggest you try looking through some different pairs as your preference is personal (which means going to a shop or trying friends' binoculars?).
For your budget there is quite a choice including some waterproof pairs (worthwhile if you expect to be outside a lot).
Although 8x is possibly more popular nationally, 10x magnification is a better choice for us in Caithness as we tend to be looking over greater distances.
However more powerful is also harder to hold still.

dafi
13-Feb-09, 00:57
I would say you wont go far wrong if you follow nirofos advice and with the money left over get one of the cheap supermarket scopes that are about. Aldis are one for under thirty quid. This would start you off fine,giving you a bit more reach than your binoculars and at that price its a fairly disposable item.

I have a thought on the magnification of the binoculars and that is go for the lower magnification as they will be easyer to hold steady. A wobbly image can be hard to identfy and very frustrating. I find 8x prefrable to 10x But then again i am old and grey..lol

alex
31-Mar-09, 21:12
If you're on a budget I'd recommend the Nikon travellite - tiny, light and clear. People with Swarovski smiled at me as people with a Rolls Royce tolerate a Honda driver.

However, I always managed to see what I wanted in the detail to identify one pippet from another.

But then I used to shut up the clucking when I drew my Canon EOS 1Ds with a Sigma 500 from my bag to take the actual photo.

All gone now sadly, donated to African conservationists... I'll be starting again in Scotland.