PDA

View Full Version : Gramar and spelling

_Ju_
09-Feb-06, 20:14
Gramar and spelling have been known to be a sensitive issue on caithness.org ( it ranks high up there along with Wick's parking warden and the emminent arrival of Tesco) and can be responsible for threads going into hundreds of posts examined line by line for errors. But I was just plodding along on the net ( I don't know how to surf...I can swim, though!) when I came across a new study that proves that grammar and spelling are completely irrelevant. I transcribe (Or in other words, cut and paste):

"Trust me, just look! Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe."

So now i'm not gonna worri about the way i rite any more! hehehehe

Have fun and smile, ppl.

jjc
09-Feb-06, 20:29
Ah, but even though the letters are mixed up, the example seems to be grammatically correct. :p;)

landmarker
09-Feb-06, 20:49
Yes a point well made. To decipher these words though, especially if this is done at almost normal reading speed denotes a certain level of intelligence and good reading skills. It probably takes a reasonably intelligent person about a fifth of the time to read as the writer took to compose it. It's akin to playing the piano deliberately badly (like Les Dawson) - not easy.

paris
09-Feb-06, 21:04
Does it really matter as long as everyone knows what your on about? I personally dont think it matters one bit, but there again i cant spell correctly.

Tristan
09-Feb-06, 21:07
grammar

grin

_Ju_
09-Feb-06, 21:11
grammar

grin

Oh my goshhhhh....now I'm in trouble!!!! <wink>

landmarker
09-Feb-06, 21:14
Does it really matter as long as everyone knows what your on about? I personally dont think it matters one bit, but there again i cant spell correctly.

On one level it doesn't matter at all. Communication is possible even with poor grammar and poor spelling. These traits are often - not always - indicative of a poor standard of education though so some people might take the accompanying opinions with a hefty pinch of salt. I had not noticed you were a poor speller. I think this matters less than abbreviating words like ppl and m8 - all very well for the expeditious text message but not really des rigeur for in 'ere. I do not go looking for bad grammar, or mis-spelt words any more than I am elevated by well written posts. The latter often seem no more likely to dispense common sense and enlightenment.

Just my two penneth.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
09-Feb-06, 21:19
I have never really had a problem with my grammar.A nicer old lady you could never meet.<grins>

Errogie
09-Feb-06, 21:31
If the style and content is good and grabs you bad spelling doesn't register quite so heavily but if you don't care or agree with what is written it's more likely to upset.
How often do you meet someone who looks a bit of a nerd, dressed "badly" etc. but when they start speaking you realise how wrong that first impression was. O.K. if you can get away with it but you don't have to give yourself a communication handicap.
I also have to say that some spelling mistakes make me think yes, that is a better way to write it and who said that language can't evolve. Vive la diffrence! (probably spelt wrongly)

phoenix
09-Feb-06, 22:49
Dont miss out the apostrophes or youll have SweatyBetty after your blood.....Ive forget them again[para]hope shes not around[para]

2little2late
09-Feb-06, 22:54
but there again i cant spell correctly.

You've spelt "CORRECTLY" correct. LOL

lassieinfife
09-Feb-06, 22:55
so long as the 1st and last letter are in the right place you would be able to read anything.......

Gleber2
09-Feb-06, 23:57
Wisdom is wisdom no matter how it is spelt.Nit-picking,smug,well educated garbage remains nit-picking,smug,well educated garbage no matter how immaculate the grammar and exact the spelling.Some of the most intelligent people I know are dyslexic(How do you spell this word).Should this detract from their wisdom?

golach
10-Feb-06, 00:33
Wisdom is wisdom no matter how it is spelt.Nit-picking,smug,well educated garbage remains nit-picking,smug,well educated garbage no matter how immaculate the grammar and exact the spelling.Some of the most intelligent people I know are dyslexic(How do you spell this word).Should this detract from their wisdom?
Gleber2 Im with you 100% on this, not every one of us are touch typists and a lot of us suffer from Fat Finger Syndrome. Why should we be discriminated against [evil]

Gleber2
10-Feb-06, 02:54
Gleber2 Im with you 100% on this, not every one of us are touch typists and a lot of us suffer from Fat Finger Syndrome. Why should we be discriminated against [evil]

Because wur owld and they think we canna look efter wursels.Down with age-ism.:~(

Tymey
10-Feb-06, 18:23
Hear Hear. As they say in the House of Lords.

I was reading a copy of Scottish Local Retailer the other day (it will be appearing in Have I Got News For You someday soon ;) ) and could not believe the amount of spelling and grammatical errors in it. It was very poor indeed.