PDA

View Full Version : Prob after installing external hard drive

oldchemist
04-Feb-09, 15:56
I have just installed an external hard drive on my PC (Maxtor 1Tb). I copied the "My Documents" folder from the PC to the external drive by right-clicking on the folder and using the "send to" command. That appeared to work ok - I then had "My Documents" on both "C" drive and the external drive (which the PC identifies as "L"). I then set about deleting photographs from "C" drive - again it seemed to go OK with all images still on "L" drive and the deleted ones gone from "C" drive. I have just tried to delete "Word" files from the "C" drive in a "My Documents" sub-folder. I realised that as fast as I deleted files, copies were appearing in the same sub-folder. On looking at the drop-down list of drives and folders at the left of the screen I find that I appear to have two sets of "My Documents". I have obviously done something silly but have no idea what. Can anyone help?:confused

Should have said, PC is using Windows XP.

blueivy
04-Feb-09, 15:59
Can you post a screenshot of the left side of the screen where both My Documents appear?

Are you using any sync software that came with the drive?

oldchemist
04-Feb-09, 16:46
How do I post a screenshot? (this indicates my level of computer literacy)

blueivy
04-Feb-09, 17:18
How do I post a screenshot? (this indicates my level of computer literacy)

We've all got to start somewhere!

If you open the Explorer window, making sure both drives / folders can be seen in the list as you describe, then press Alt+Print Screen (might be labelled as Alt+PrtScr on your keyboard - it's usually next to the Scroll Lock key). This will paste a screenshot of the active window (in this case where your folders are shown) into the clipboard.

If you then open Paint (got to Start->Accessories->Paint) and go to Edit->Paste it should past the screenshot into Paint. Then you need to save it, as a JPG, to your computer (note where you save it).

Then you need to reply to this message, click the little paperclip at the top of the window, click Browse and find your screenshot file, double-click it, then click Upload.

After ALL of that it should appear attached to the message. Make sure there is no personal info on the screenshot as everybody will be able to see it.

oldchemist
04-Feb-09, 17:32
Hi

Hopefully you can see the attachment. "My Documents" and "Alex's Documents" are identical copies and contain my pictures and Word documents.

I'm not using any software that came with the drive, unless it installed itself automatically.

OC

blueivy
04-Feb-09, 17:36
Hi

Hopefully you can see the attachment. "My Documents" and "Alex's Documents" are identical copies and contain my pictures and Word documents.

I'm not using any software that came with the drive, unless it installed itself automatically.

OC

The attachment is there, it just needs moderator approval before we can see it.

In the meantime, it's funny you shoudl mention about the software installing automatically - see here (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=58193). Just go into Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs and double-check Memeo is not there. I have a feeling that may be causing the problem.

oldchemist
04-Feb-09, 17:40
No sign of Memeo in the prog list.

BTW the external drive is "E", not "L" as I claimed earlier.