PDA

View Full Version : Mckay

cameron
31-Jan-09, 18:42
My grandfather Walter Mckay was born november 22nd 1913 in Henrietta street Wick. Still alive and now living in LEITH Edinburgh. Would like any info on his family from around that period. His father worked aboard a ship called the st.clair which sailed from wick to aberdeen regularly. Had a sister which I know nothing about. Grandfather married a Catherine Mcbride in edinburgh in the 1930's. Had two daughters, catherine and marion. The last one being my mother. Going to visit an auld wick man in feb this year, and to try and get more info from him !

Rosemary Skea
01-Feb-09, 00:34
Hello Cameron,

The ship "St Clair" sailed between Aberdeen and Lerwick in Shetland. There were 4 ships to bear this name and I have just found an article about the "North Boats" which says that in the early days of the service , boats travelled the indirect route from Leith to Aberdeen, Wick, Kirkwall and then on to Shetland. There was also the direct Aberdeen to Lerwick service. The first boat to bear the name St Clair was launched at Govan in 1868 and was initally destined for the Caithness service and later served Shetland. She was in service for 69 years. I would think this was the ship that your g grand father worked on.

I did many trips from Shetland to Aberdeen on the second St Clair, with many memories of rough seas !

Rosemary

My grandfather Walter Mckay was born november 22nd 1913 in Henrietta street Wick. Still alive and now living in LEITH Edinburgh. Would like any info on his family from around that period. His father worked aboard a ship called the st.clair which sailed from wick to aberdeen regularly. Had a sister which I know nothing about. Grandfather married a Catherine Mcbride in edinburgh in the 1930's. Had two daughters, catherine and marion. The last one being my mother. Going to visit an auld wick man in feb this year, and to try and get more info from him !