PDA

View Full Version : McKenzie - Manson - Binnach

GeoG
29-Jan-09, 20:31
Good evening,

I am new to family history and not long started my search. My G Grandfather was a William McKenzie born around 1849 in Bower. It appears by the Scotlands People certificate for his marriage that his mother was a Jane Manson, unfortunately I cannot locate a birth cert for him.

Jane Manson was his mother and from census records I know she was born in 1829 her parents being John Manson and Catherine " Binnach ".

Would there be anyone who can help pieces all this together for me........and where the name Binnach originated.

Thank you

George

cuthill
30-Jan-09, 00:35
What was his fathers name as sometime it does not give the mothers name

Rosemary Skea
30-Jan-09, 00:40
Hello George
John and Catherine had 5 children born in Olrig - you can get free info if you go to FREEREG.There were another two female Binnach's in Olrig with children ,Elizabeth and Isabella , but no males of that surname. Neither are there any marriages recorded in Olrig for the Binnach surname.

Rosemary Skea

Good evening,

I am new to family history and not long started my search. My G Grandfather was a William McKenzie born around 1849 in Bower. It appears by the Scotlands People certificate for his marriage that his mother was a Jane Manson, unfortunately I cannot locate a birth cert for him.

Jane Manson was his mother and from census records I know she was born in 1829 her parents being John Manson and Catherine " Binnach ".

Would there be anyone who can help pieces all this together for me........and where the name Binnach originated.

Thank you

George

GeoG
30-Jan-09, 17:04
Thank you all for replying and helping it is much appreciated. Ok to continue, my Great Grandfathers name was William McKenzie and on his wedding certificate is gives his parents as William McKenzie and Jane Manson. I can find no birth details for him and on census records he is listed as being born in Bower. On his death Certificate it does not have a fathers name only Jane Manson as his mother..........also worth nothing his name as entered as William McKenzie FORMERLY MANSON, now I am confused !!!

With the Binnach name I can find it spelled in many ways......Binnach, Binach and Binack. I have the children you mention and also the father Alexander Binnach who appears to be married to a Elisa Manson.......I would be very please to find out so much more about this name and its origins as I can find no other trace of it on the Internet

Thanks to everyone