PDA

View Full Version : Colin Prior Photography School

dragonfly
29-Jan-09, 20:12
my husband has offered to book me onto this course (http://www.colinprior.co.uk/photographyschool/courses/digital-landscape-photography-april2009/) as a wedding anniversary present :eek: (i'd only planned on a pair of socks for him! :confused)

Just thought I'd check with all you good photographers if you think it would beneficial for someone like me who has very little knowledge??

Thoughts please.........

Raven
29-Jan-09, 21:20
Hm, I think it would be a nice treat, but for £500 I would rather invest in some gear...

dragonfly
29-Jan-09, 21:24
Yeah but you know what to do with the gear, I don't :lol::lol:

Deemac
29-Jan-09, 21:27
I'm sure its a very interesting and informative course (but very expensive at £499 for just a weekend!!).

At $250 for a whole years access I currently use: http://www.lynda.com/ for ALL my software/photo training needs. (There are also "Creative/inspirational" movie series. (including famous photographers) There is a vast photoshop tutorial library along with a huge selection of other titles. (try the free movies for a taster if you like).

Also "Youtube" is surprisingly useful from a self training photographic perspective. (and completely free).

OK these are not very romantic/wedding anniversary type options, but in my opinion far better value for money.

I'm also sure local photographer John Baikie does the occasional small group tutorial courses.

There is also Thurso Camera club where local enthusiasts meet a couple of times a month. The rest is just down to practise with your chosen camera/equipment. Start fully auto and take it from there.

Just my pennies worth.

Raven
29-Jan-09, 21:36
Also is there any courses at the college maybe?

North Light
29-Jan-09, 23:07
Mmm,

Colin Prior is one of Scotland's foremost landscape photographers, personally I'm jealous, dragonfly, enjoy.

NL

Mystical Potato Head
29-Jan-09, 23:10
Also is there any courses at the college maybe?

There is one which says it will learn you the basics of photography,composition,dof and use of light,colour and motion.
Also simple enhancment techniques.
10week course 4.30-6.30 starting 4th Feb(if enough interest) and costs £47.
My wife works at the college and happens to have the evening class booklet with her.

dragonfly
29-Jan-09, 23:14
:( We'll be in Edinburgh next week with poorly puppy so won't be able to enrol.

nirofo
30-Jan-09, 03:45
Got to agree with Raven, £500 will buy you either a Nikon or a Canon DSLR and maybe a couple of lenses to go with it. Spend your spare time practicing and post your results on this forum, there are many posters who are quite willing to offer advice and encouragement. I'm sure the Colin Prior course is very good, but I think it would probably be too advanced for a complete beginner, You're in one of the best parts of the UK for landscape, seascape and wildlife photography, invest in a DSLR, learn the trade and lets see your pictures.

nirofo.