PDA

View Full Version : A song that everyone can agree on is dreadful.

buddyrich
23-Jan-09, 17:38
Theres a lot of dreadful american rock music or american-inspired rock music out there that churns out plenty of stuff i would nominate-anything by Bullet For My Dying Chemical Lost Fallout Prophet type bands. They all seem to be ploughing the same furrow.

Phoebus_Apollo
23-Jan-09, 20:23
There are a few stinkers out there - all of Miley Cyrus`s "work", anything by U2 period....but as for a particular song I`d plump for "How to save a life" by the fray - wretchworthy.

buddyrich
23-Jan-09, 22:51
Nice choice.

Anything by Snow Patrol too. Not a fan of their dreary bricklaying.

Metalattakk
24-Jan-09, 00:09
Pretty much anything released after 1983 is worthless tosh, in my humble opinion. ;)

buddyrich
24-Jan-09, 00:26
He he. I'd expect nothing less from The Gunslinger.

You do realise you are of course describing Stay Hungry as worthless tosh.

And Ride The Lightning. And Master of Puppets. And Powerslave. And Megadeth, though i do think Mustaine has the worthless tosh touch right enough.

hotrod4
24-Jan-09, 09:34
There are a few stinkers out there - all of Miley Cyrus`s "work", anything by U2 period....but as for a particular song I`d plump for "How to save a life" by the fray - wretchworthy.
I like miley cyrus BUT NOT IN THAT WAY!!!!!!.
I also like the Fray as well so we cant go to a party together then can we????
Most dreadful song would be anything before 1983 as that is the year metal grew some cohonas and was allowed out for the first time!!:lol:
Seriously most awful song would be "Cotton eyed joe".:confused or anything by Mr Big.

the_big_mac
24-Jan-09, 09:51
Anything, buy any band, that start their name with THE!

Metalattakk
24-Jan-09, 12:12
He he. I'd expect nothing less from The Gunslinger.

You do realise you are of course describing Stay Hungry as worthless tosh.

And Ride The Lightning. And Master of Puppets. And Powerslave. And Megadeth, though i do think Mustaine has the worthless tosh touch right enough.

You'll notice the 'pretty much' caveat in my post. ;)

moncur
24-Jan-09, 13:22
I am particularly opposed to bands wherby the guitarist/ bassists feel the need to have the (out-of-tune) guitar located as close to their chin as possible, thus leading to the only strumming style possible left is a weird looking solid-armed swing from the elbow onwards. Exceptions to the rule in the high guitar position theory are guitarists who have proved their ability to actually play (Tom Morello, Kirk Hammett, Maiden etc)

This, combined with the distinct lack of overdrive on the amps for the entire song. This description of guitarist tends to fall into the same type of band the_big_mac would find worthy of being destroyed by Napalm.

Jeid
24-Jan-09, 14:36
Theres a lot of dreadful american rock music or american-inspired rock music out there that churns out plenty of stuff i would nominate-anything by Bullet For My Dying Chemical Lost Fallout Prophet type bands. They all seem to be ploughing the same furrow.

To a certain degree I agree, I despise MCR. Fall Out Boy... despite being junk, write very catchy pop songs. I can see why they are despised(not a fan btw). Lost Prophets are a bit meh, sometimes I think they have potential to be better, but they just don't do it.

Bullet For My Valentine get a lot of stick for being pansy metal, but they can play. I think it's because they are Welsh... They should rename themselves Bullet For My Jones, then people would understand why all their songs are about sheep.

anything by U2 period...

YUS! Someone else who thinks they suck!

Megadeth are baws...

Anything, by any band, that start their name with THE!

Even THE Metallica? THE Pantera? THE Rage Against The Machine? THE Machine Head? :p

I am particularly opposed to bands wherby the guitarist/ bassists feel the need to have the (out-of-tune) guitar located as close to their chin as possible, thus leading to the only strumming style possible left is a weird looking solid-armed swing from the elbow onwards. Exceptions to the rule in the high guitar position theory are guitarists who have proved their ability to actually play (Tom Morello, Kirk Hammett, Maiden etc)

Kirk Hammett? Come ashore, have you heard him play live lately? Turn the wah wah on, twiddle. He's decent, but his time has passed. His ability, like Lars' ability on the drums, has diminished over the years

I didn't realise that where someone held their guitar was related to ability though. Surely going by your logic in that post, the lower you hold your guitar... the better you are?(exceptions to the rule of course) Jesus... I couldn't saved upsetting a few ears if I'd known that.

Worked for The Beatles...

This, combined with the distinct lack of overdrive on the amps for the entire song. This description of guitarist tends to fall into the same type of band the_big_mac would find worthy of being destroyed by Napalm.

Overdrive also makes you better too?

Must go adjust the length of my strap and turn the overdrive up to 11...

buddyrich
24-Jan-09, 16:25
I think the current crop of indie-type bands moncur alluded to are interesting, or not, because they really seem to be struggling to play their instruments. Whether they have their guitars high up or not they're bloody boring and instrumentally at high school band level. I really should just ignore chart music beause I enjoy hearing someone who can really play and most of what i like whether it's Focus, Slayer or Cheap Trick is in that vein.

On the flipside of that the ramones werent great players but were probably the most high-octane pop band ever. A distinct lack of energy and fun abounds in guitar bands these days. Except the wildhearts who are textbook.

Bullet for my boyo's!

Amy-Winehouse
24-Jan-09, 16:53
.but as for a particular song I`d plump for "How to save a life" by the fray - wretchworthy.[/quote]

Good call but not the one im goin for

Phoebus_Apollo
24-Jan-09, 22:43
I like miley cyrus BUT NOT IN THAT WAY!!!!!!.
I also like the Fray as well so we cant go to a party together then can we????
Most dreadful song would be anything before 1983 as that is the year metal grew some cohonas and was allowed out for the first time!!:lol:
Seriously most awful song would be "Cotton eyed joe".:confused or anything by Mr Big.

Looks like the partys off hotrod....unless of course the venue is Skins where "cotton eye joe" is still considered de rigueur

Being a Paul Gilbert fan I`d have to question the Mr Big - how can any guitarist not appreciate the intro to colorado bulldog??....sextuplets anyone:lol:

Amy-Winehouse
24-Jan-09, 23:14
Usually Id say anything by phill collins for a thread like this , & today ....well it isnt any different- I stick by my guns ,I can feel it comin in the Air tonight by un-funky phillip would be right up there for dreadful in my book

guitarzan
25-Jan-09, 00:11
I didn't realise that where someone held their guitar was related to ability though. Surely going by your logic in that post, the lower you hold your guitar... the better you are?(exceptions to the rule of course) Jesus... I couldn't saved upsetting a few ears if I'd known that.

Overdrive also makes you better too?

Must go adjust the length of my strap and turn the overdrive up to 11...

Yeah I'm thinking the same... although by this logic doesn't that mean that Tom DeLonge is the best guitarist in the Universe?! :s

Jeid
25-Jan-09, 01:18
Haha... very true!

I think all the kids will have their straps on full length now

Metalattakk
25-Jan-09, 02:17
How low can you go?

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/clark.jpg

buddyrich
25-Jan-09, 02:55
PAW SOME SHOOOGAR AWN MEEEEEEEEEEEE!

He was a good guitar player before he drank himself to death. He looks like Pablo in this pic.

First two albums are still great. They're now peddling drek to the same constituency that buys bon jovi albums. Vivian Campbell is a treacherous swine for disowning his time with Dio.

Metalattakk
25-Jan-09, 03:21
Agreed.

Saw a youtube clip of Dio really ripping on Campbell to some fans at a signing session. Dio called him all sorts of unsavoury words, and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone to search youtube for that clip. No sir-ee. no sir-ee at all.

As for the Lepps, I'd add the third album to the list of acceptable fare, if you don't mind mate. Pyromania was a groundbreaker, and the first time that those huge backing vocals were apparent. The thing that made Pyromania better than Hysteria was the abundance of proper rock songs as a base for the fledgling studio gloss. Think 'rock song with gloss added' rather than 'gloss slapped all over rock song' and you'll maybe understand.

hotrod4
25-Jan-09, 08:07
Dr Alban "Its my life" would be another contender for worst song.
I used to like the lep until every song had the same drum beat,thats when I lost interest in them. Decent guitars though.

the_big_mac
25-Jan-09, 11:30
I tend to use the rules this man sets out -

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yoN6XfyQsr4

Interesting one in there for all the hip hoppers :p

Kenneth
25-Jan-09, 19:39
Anything by Bruce Springsteen, U2 (except Sunday Bloody Sunday), Bon Jovi (SPEW!!!),Def Leppard, Kiss, The Fray, So Solid Crew, Miley Cyrus
(but i dont mind looking at her) Metallica and bands in a similar vein, Scouting for Girls (oh my god please die) MCR, but its mainly BON JOVI that excites my hate buds

Amy-Winehouse
25-Jan-09, 19:53
Anything by Bruce Springsteen, U2 (except Sunday Bloody Sunday), Bon Jovi (SPEW!!!),Def Leppard, Kiss, The Fray, So Solid Crew, Miley Cyrus
(but i dont mind looking at her) Metallica and bands in a similar vein, Scouting for Girls (oh my god please die) MCR, but its mainly BON JOVI that excites my hate buds

Especially sunday bloody sunday by U2. Spice Girls, Maria Carrey , So Solid crew is a good one to dislike - 21 seconds -aargh!!

buddyrich
25-Jan-09, 20:00
Agreed.

Saw a youtube clip of Dio really ripping on Campbell to some fans at a signing session. Dio called him all sorts of unsavoury words, and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone to search youtube for that clip. No sir-ee. no sir-ee at all.

As for the Lepps, I'd add the third album to the list of acceptable fare, if you don't mind mate. Pyromania was a groundbreaker, and the first time that those huge backing vocals were apparent. The thing that made Pyromania better than Hysteria was the abundance of proper rock songs as a base for the fledgling studio gloss. Think 'rock song with gloss added' rather than 'gloss slapped all over rock song' and you'll maybe understand.

Aye you're right enough, Pyromania is pretty good. Photograph is quality.

Julia
25-Jan-09, 20:34
What about the crap modern day classics, the birdy song, itsy bitsy teen weeny, superman - uh uh uh uh uh uh uh superman

Oh and anything by Nickleback

Jeid
25-Jan-09, 21:58

YES! How could I forget the vile music this band make!

hotrod4
26-Jan-09, 07:45
Anything by Enya, she always sounds like she should work on an Adult chat line with all that panting!
Also just about anything done by Stock Aitken and Waterman, Its all the same song, pete waterman just changed the key and tempo!!!

Kenneth
27-Jan-09, 11:20
nickleback - rockstar
kid rock - all summer long

two of the worst songs i have ever heard released in the same year! how can people like them

Invisible
27-Jan-09, 12:41

I would strongly disagree with your decision to criticize Bruce Springsteen, U2, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard and Kiss.

But two words for you all - Barbie Girl.

buddyrich
27-Jan-09, 16:18
The kid rock ditty was an egregiously bad song especially as it half-inched a Warren Zevon masterpiece.

colin stoner
28-Jan-09, 18:58
any band that starts with 'The' counts.

i could be here all day listing bands starting with 'The'.

the fray - how to save a life... absolute garbage

dogman
29-Jan-09, 19:57
Anything by: spice girls, busted, westlife, charlie and the boys, dane bowers(remember him?), rod stewart, boyzone, posh spice, the kooks, ginger spice, razorlight, baby spice, doof doof dance acts, scary spice, doof doof trance acts, sporty spice, most bands begining with "the"(THE enemy are quality tho).

Can't remember any more. It's really hard remembering music you don't like!

P.S. The Who are another good band begining with "the".

colin stoner
30-Jan-09, 17:24
ye i suppose, but i should say any band starting with 'The' and who are also indie.

surely Tatu have to be up there also?

hotrod4
30-Jan-09, 19:04
ye i suppose, but i should say any band starting with 'The' and who are also indie.

surely Tatu have to be up there also?
No they get to stay just for their video!!!!!;)

colin stoner
31-Jan-09, 11:19
very true!

cheeky girls is i think the worst song ever. i have never met anyone who doesnt think it was bad!

Blast!
31-Jan-09, 14:20
7 Things by Miley Cyrus is one of the best pop songs of last year. FACT.

Mountains by Biffy Clyro was probably the worst song of 2008. They chorus is the most dreadful thing imaginable. It just doesn't work. Must try harder.

Blast!
31-Jan-09, 14:26
(THE enemy are quality tho)

ffs

:roll:

Phoebus_Apollo
31-Jan-09, 19:49
7 Things by Miley Cyrus is one of the best pop songs of last year. FACT.

Fiction surely...:roll::eek:

Blast!
31-Jan-09, 21:43
Come to think of it Mountains by Biffy Clyro is probably the worst song of 2008.

dogman
01-Feb-09, 12:38
ffs

:roll:

f.u
:)

hotrod4
03-Feb-09, 07:36
f.u
:)
As he begins to raise his voice,You lower yours and grant him one last choice
Drive until you lose the road Or break with the ones you've followed.
He will do one of two things:
He will admit to everything
Or
he'll say he's just not the same And you'll begin to wonder why you came;)

dogman
03-Feb-09, 23:29
As he begins to raise his voice,You lower yours and grant him one last choice
Drive until you lose the road Or break with the ones you've followed.
He will do one of two things:
He will admit to everything
Or
he'll say he's just not the same And you'll begin to wonder why you came;)

LOL.

Another "the" band.

That too is a great song.

My turn........

"Your tongue is far too long
I dont like the way it sucks and slurps upon my every word."

Not sure if they are a "the" band.

supernova
04-Feb-09, 11:08
Surely one exception to the "the" bands rule is "the Band"? Oh yeah, "the Who" too - both excellent bands.

hotrod4
04-Feb-09, 21:47
LOL.

Another "the" band.

That too is a great song.

My turn........

"Your tongue is far too long
I dont like the way it sucks and slurps upon my every word."

Not sure if they are a "the" band.

They were a fantastic band.

how about:

He man drag
In the glittering ballroom
Greyly outrageous
In my high heel shoes
Tightly undone
They know what they're showing
Sadly ecstatic
That their heroes are news.

joxville
04-Feb-09, 23:57
anything by U2 period....

Thank God I'm not the only one.

Anything, buy any band, that start their name with THE!

I suppose The The is double whammied. :)

Usually Id say anything by phill collins for a thread like this , & today ....well it isnt any different- I stick by my guns ,I can feel it comin in the Air tonight by un-funky phillip would be right up there for dreadful in my book

Have to agree there too.

What about the crap modern day classics, the birdy song, itsy bitsy teen weeny, superman - uh uh uh uh uh uh uh superman

And Muse, System Of A Down, Fields Of The Nephilim...in fact, any of the crap my ex-wife likes and I suffered.

Invisible
05-Feb-09, 00:19
thank you joxville! been wanting someone to agree muse are poo

robglysen
08-Feb-09, 18:42
Of all the songs i've ever heard, 'A girl like you' by Edwyn Collins makes me reach for the off switch every time.

Nickleback wouldn't have got such a bad rap if they hadn't been on a sofa ad maybe.

Kid Rock might have got away with if the radio didnt hammer it to death.

But if I could go back in time and stop just one record being released, it would be 'A girl like you'. Gash, utter gash(imho). Sorry Edwyn.
Anyone feel strongly one way or the other about that song??

EDIT: (muse, boring, MCR 3 good songs, Enter Shikari dont sing they scream, cos that works : S)