PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used USB broadband??

quiteone
22-Jan-09, 22:58
want to save a bit of money and ditch the BT landline and ditch the tiscali and go for a one off plug in USB broadband......has anyone tried it or know if it works in caithness??? thanks

slinky
22-Jan-09, 23:07
want to save a bit of money and ditch the BT landline and ditch the tiscali and go for a one off plug in USB broadband......has anyone tried it or know if it works in caithness??? thanks
my mates on orange and gie its rubbish not saying other ones may be good but gie i fell asleep just downloading something that on mine would of taken 10 min or less even

Bobinovich
22-Jan-09, 23:47
If you're meaning through 3G then unfortunately we're not blessed with that service up here yet. You can use it but only at REALLY slow dial-up speeds.

We'll have to wait & see if we get 3G at some point, then I'm sure there will be a big uptake of it.

shazzap
23-Jan-09, 02:04

You have saved me asking this question, i use a Three network dongle here in East Yorks and it works very well at broadband speeds.

Which service provider is the best to use in Caithness? I don't just mean the cheapest as speed and unlimited downloads are important also.

majic
23-Jan-09, 10:01
hi im on vodaphone dongle its not as fast as broardband but its not as slow as dialup im quite happy with it
we did get a deal a phone for £15 and the dongle for £7

quiteone
23-Jan-09, 20:29
ok thanks it wont really be for down loads just using bebo and caithness.org, ebay etc an mostly for my daughter, can they be used for instance, i have the computer ,she uses her laptop so can u use one usb plug in for both or do u need seperates......just finding broadband costs and line rental costs too high just now??? jan blues....:lol:

crayola
24-Jan-09, 15:07
Mobile broadband is tolerably slow if you have a 3G signal, it's far too slow if you don't. It's expensive also!

If you're in Caithness, forget it and stick with the broadband. To quote from the annoying phrases thread, 'it's a no-brainer.'

devil's sidekick
24-Jan-09, 15:14
You have saved me asking this question, i use a Three network dongle here in East Yorks and it works very well at broadband speeds.

Which service provider is the best to use in Caithness? I don't just mean the cheapest as speed and unlimited downloads are important also.

I'm with tiscali and we get up to 8mbs speed (never get that though) and unlimited downloads and is free to call landlines all day every day for £29 a month. I've never had any problems with tiscali i find them quite good.

bekisman
24-Jan-09, 15:27
Might be slightly off-topic, but when in Germany over Christmas with Son and grandchildren noticed he has his internet connection via the power-line.. he's non too happy and is opting for cable.. does the UK have/intend using power-line for isp connections?

EDDIE
24-Jan-09, 19:30
Might be slightly off-topic, but when in Germany over Christmas with Son and grandchildren noticed he has his internet connection via the power-line.. he's non too happy and is opting for cable.. does the UK have/intend using power-line for isp connections?

Getting internet through your power socket its not new technolgy its been out for a while its only ever used in area were you cant get internet through the phoneline or there is no phonelines the the connection to the internet is done at the power station at that area you do get that in the uk its not common but u do get it

EDDIE
24-Jan-09, 19:40
ok thanks it wont really be for down loads just using bebo and caithness.org, ebay etc an mostly for my daughter, can they be used for instance, i have the computer ,she uses her laptop so can u use one usb plug in for both or do u need seperates......just finding broadband costs and line rental costs too high just now??? jan blues....:lol:

U can use the same dongle for both computers the only downside is u both cannot be online at the same time i thought orange and likes of talk talk do the all in one packages

I agree i hate paying line rental im only tolerating it until the dongles improve on price and usage.
See what u have to watch for if ure daughter is download of the likes of itunes and places like that thats were the dongle is useless and you would have to keep an eye on how much u use because its quite a high price u pay if u go over your monthly limit

pulteney person
24-Jan-09, 22:37
I've been using mobile broadband from BT when I am away from home. I have only used it in East Yorkshire and London but must say it was pretty slow. It reminded me of dial up from about a decade ago when you had to wait for the page to load. I got bored and switched it off!