PDA

View Full Version : Flame & Horse Head Nebula

Mystical Potato Head
22-Jan-09, 22:52
1 hour exposure time but will need to double it at least to get the Flame to show up better.
Also the red behind horsey's head which is ionised hydrogen gas would be brighter.
The horse head itself is a dense dust cloud 1500 light years away and the bright star is
Alnitak,the bottom of the 3 stars of Orion's belt.
Not visible to the naked eye nor my telescope either.Bit of a noisy image but as its the first time i've ever seen it thought i would post it anyway.Just need a night with 2 or 3 cloud free,wind free hours for a hopefully better result.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/sat5_photos/FramedHH.jpg

daviddd
22-Jan-09, 23:13
great pic MPH. I wonder what the planet / star was tonight over in the south about 8 - it was very bright?

Mystical Potato Head
22-Jan-09, 23:41
great pic MPH. I wonder what the planet / star was tonight over in the south about 8 - it was very bright?

Thanks Daviddd,the bright planet is Venus.

tjc
23-Jan-09, 02:12
Cracking shot indeed MPH.

If you don`t mind though, a question.

How come you don`t end up with star trails with such a long exposure?

Mystical Potato Head
23-Jan-09, 08:05
Cracking shot indeed MPH.

If you don`t mind though, a question.

How come you don`t end up with star trails with such a long exposure?

The camera is attatched to the telescope eyepiece which is on a motorised mount
that is aligned to follow the stars.The 1 hour exposure time is made up of 15 x 4 minute exposurse stacked on top of each other.

tjc
23-Jan-09, 12:42
The camera is attatched to the telescope eyepiece which is on a motorised mount
that is aligned to follow the stars.The 1 hour exposure time is made up of 15 x 4 minute exposurse stacked on top of each other.

Thanks for the info MPH.

I thought it would maybe involve something motorised like youv`e said.

I`m really still learning daylight photography but must give some star trails a go sometime soon.

:)