PDA

View Full Version : smoking in cars

Ojibwa
21-Jan-09, 21:12
In Ontario, a new law has been introduced regarding smoking in cars.

Under the law, a driver or passenger smoking in a motor vehicle, while someone else under the age of 16 is present, is committing an offence, and can be fined up to $250.

I think this is a good idea but can't see how it will be enforced effectively. I really dislike seeing people smoking around kids especially in the confined space of a car.

Unfortunately, using your cell phone while driving here is still legal.

dook
21-Jan-09, 21:15
In Ontario, a new law has been introduced regarding smoking in cars.

Under the law, a driver or passenger smoking in a motor vehicle, while someone else under the age of 16 is present, is committing an offence, and can be fined up to $250.

I think this is a good idea but can't see how it will be enforced effectively. I really dislike seeing people smoking around kids especially in the confined space of a car.

Unfortunately, using your cell phone while driving here is still legal.

Sounds a very good idea if brought in over here. Even the pain of having to get £s changed into Canadian $s for the fine should make them think.

Julia
21-Jan-09, 21:18

I think this is a great idea, bring it on in the UK!

silverfox57
21-Jan-09, 21:24
it is illegal to smoke in any vehicle in UK where the vehicle is your place of work,

mccaugm
21-Jan-09, 21:37
In another thread I mentioned that I saw a taxi driver smoking in a car. I was accused of being pedantic as I considered reporting him. Imagine being the next passenger the smell would be awful. Re the law stopping people smoking around children in cars is BRILLIANT. Hope the UK do it. I hate the selfishness of smokers who smoke around children especially as children cannot get away from it. Utterly selfish. - rant over..for now! Does the law apply to pregnant women smoking in cars I wonder?

Julia
21-Jan-09, 21:40
it is illegal to smoke in any vehicle in UK where the vehicle is your place of work,

Well it's supposed to be illegal but is it enforced, I see plenty of workers in vans and taxi drivers too, all smoking while driving.

As for pregnant women smoking, don't get me started!! [evil]

A9RUNNER
21-Jan-09, 21:57

I see plenty taxi drivers and delivery men flouting this rule regularly.

A9RUNNER
21-Jan-09, 22:03
oops I maybe should of paid more attention to the previous posts, Mine duplicates what is already mentioned. Our house is no smoking and has been ever since we moved into it long before we had kids. Anyone who visits who smokes has to go outside no matter what the weather.

Bad Manners
21-Jan-09, 22:05
as usual not enough people to enforce it you canmakeall the laws but unless you can enforce them they are meaningless. the sooner they are enforced the better we should not be smoking in the work place nor around children espicially in confined areas

emszxr
21-Jan-09, 22:40
imho. smokers should only smoke in their own homes / gardens.
i cant even stand the smell in the street

Ash
21-Jan-09, 22:56
imho. smokers should only smoke in their own homes / gardens.
i cant even stand the smell in the street

emszxr im the exact same cannot stand the smell, makes me sick and cough alot!

joxville
21-Jan-09, 23:36
Talk about flogging a dead horse....yet again the sanctimonious anti-smoking lobby shows it's ugly head. Don't you lot ever do anything that offends someone? What happened to live and let live? I can't stand drunk people but I'd never say alcohol should be banned. If you're so passionate about a cause then lobby your MP about homelessness or child abuse or one of many other things that are wrong with society.

PS I don't smoke.

ShelleyCowie
21-Jan-09, 23:46
I smoke. But i have never ever smoked in my house tho! Always go out the back garden! Dont smoke near kids either!

But i really really do think im going to have to stop. Im on steroids for my lungs and heart. Im only 20!! :confused

But if i stop i swear not to tell people to stop smoking! It is one persons own choice! The risks are known. Its on peoples own iniciative!! ;)

Dorrie
21-Jan-09, 23:55
Talk about flogging a dead horse....yet again the sanctimonious anti-smoking lobby shows it's ugly head. Don't you lot ever do anything that offends someone? What happened to live and let live? I can't stand drunk people but I'd never say alcohol should be banned. If you're so passionate about a cause then lobby your MP about homelessness or child abuse or one of many other things that are wrong with society.

PS I don't smoke.

Well said!

In my house, I don't smoke in the front room and when non-smokers or children come to visit they can go to the front room or outside. I don't mind which!

Vistravi
22-Jan-09, 00:12
Well it's supposed to be illegal but is it enforced, I see plenty of workers in vans and taxi drivers too, all smoking while driving.

As for pregnant women smoking, don't get me started!! [evil]

At the end of the day it is the woman's choice to smoke whilst pregnant. She knows what she's doing to her unborn child. Nobody can make anybody do something they don't want to do.

Ojibwa
22-Jan-09, 00:14

PS I don't smoke.

I am not against smokers, I disagree with smokers blowing smoke into the face of a child, that is abusive in a way as it is potentially harmful.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=GSV9MhHUYeM

I agree with Billy's point of view here, I realise it was from before the smoking ban. If there was one area for smokers, non smokers should use the other area.

ShelleyCowie
22-Jan-09, 00:33
At the end of the day it is the woman's choice to smoke whilst pregnant. She knows what she's doing to her unborn child. Nobody can make anybody do something they don't want to do.

Exactly! Everybody can do what they like! What about women who take heroin whilst pregnant! Same as drinking aswell!

Shabbychic
22-Jan-09, 01:26

PS I don't smoke.

Well said. Smokers have been persecuted enough. There are far worse things going on in society than smoking. The anti-smoking brigade have got what they wanted, but they just can't let it go.

mccaugm
22-Jan-09, 11:46

If I had my way it would be illegal to smoke whilst pregnant...its selfish and cruel to force your habit on a defenceless child..

Connor.
22-Jan-09, 12:00
I on many occasions have seen bus drivers smoking in the bus and same with taxi drivers. I have also seen some of the drivers of school vehicles smoking. I don't think this is appropriate as the buses and taxi's do have a "Thank you for not smoking sign inside" which is kind of hypocritical. Something needs to be done to prevent this but it would be hard to clamp down on this sort of thing.

AfternoonDelight
22-Jan-09, 12:09
In another thread I mentioned that I saw a taxi driver smoking in a car. I was accused of being pedantic as I considered reporting him. Imagine being the next passenger the smell would be awful. Re the law stopping people smoking around children in cars is BRILLIANT. Hope the UK do it. I hate the selfishness of smokers who smoke around children especially as children cannot get away from it. Utterly selfish. - rant over..for now! Does the law apply to pregnant women smoking in cars I wonder?

Pedantic was the word you used in the first place! You asked for people's opinions and people gave them.... :roll:

JAWS
22-Jan-09, 13:01
My car, my kids, butt out. My car, somebody else's kids, check with their parents and abide by their wishes, others, butt out.

There are too many people in authority who simply cannot resist imposing their narrow fixations on others. In another era they would have been persecuting people for not attending religious worship on Sunday or wishing to attend the wrong religious service or dancing on Sunday or playing cards on Sunday.

The Health Gestapo now try whip up hysteria in order to persecute people with exactly the same amount of intolerance as the worst of the Religious Fanatics of old. They have not quite resorted to burning people at the stake but some of the suggestions are not far short of it.

Bad Manners
22-Jan-09, 13:22
Report it as a crime and the police are duty bound to look into it if enough people do it, it will be taken seriously at the momment it appears that no one is bothering.

Jimbo
22-Jan-09, 13:26
I saw a young guy smoking in a car yesterday, at Tesco's car park. I felt so sorry for the 2 dogs in it !!

garrioch
22-Jan-09, 13:43
not sure about bus drivers but as far as taxi drivers go report them to the local councill and the may ahve their licience and therefore the current means of living removed, see how quickly they all stop after the happens to the first driver caught, stop them all toying with their means of income.

Tugmistress
22-Jan-09, 14:47
My car, my kids, butt out. My car, somebody else's kids, check with their parents and abide by their wishes, others, butt out.

There are too many people in authority who simply cannot resist imposing their narrow fixations on others. In another era they would have been persecuting people for not attending religious worship on Sunday or wishing to attend the wrong religious service or dancing on Sunday or playing cards on Sunday.

The Health Gestapo now try whip up hysteria in order to persecute people with exactly the same amount of intolerance as the worst of the Religious Fanatics of old. They have not quite resorted to burning people at the stake but some of the suggestions are not far short of it.

Feeling pretty much the same Jaws, you watch it'll become an offence to break wind in public soon [evil]

honey
22-Jan-09, 14:52
oops I maybe should of paid more attention to the previous posts, Mine duplicates what is already mentioned. Our house is no smoking and has been ever since we moved into it long before we had kids. Anyone who visits who smokes has to go outside no matter what the weather.

my house is non-smoking, and when my mam visits, she goes outside. When we go back to thurso, she makes people go to the back door to smoke. She gets that used to it, that a few times, when we have been on the train heading back to glasgow, she finds herself at the back door again!! :lol:

honey
22-Jan-09, 14:55
My car, my kids, butt out.

Hhmm, i do see your point, but would you say if someone said

"my fist, my kids, butt out"

the point here is that it can put the kids at risk, however, its is hard to keep kids away from smoke the whole time, if you visit someone who smokes, you cant really ask them not to in their own home..

Dorrie
22-Jan-09, 16:23
I think the whole thing is ridiculous anyway, they put clorine in our water, God know what in our food, chemicals are everywhere. We can't get away form it. Even up here I hate to think what we are breathing in and that's outside!

It's all fashion and fads. A few years ago nobody thought anything about smoking in cars, now you are going to report someone to the police for smoking in an empty car! Surely it's up to the next person to get into the car, if it stinks of cigarettes then get right back out and go to the next one in line.

You would seriously put someones job in jeopardy because they are smoking in a car. Get a life for goodness sake.

The biggest killer in Scotland as far as I know is alcohol, and think of the affects to children in households where parents are drunk most of the time. Smoking in a car does not affect the drivers ability to drive safely, now if they were DRINKING in the car, that is a different matter, or if they were smoking drugs.

There is SO much more wrong with our world today, so much that is WORTH getting het up about, but this is just petty and silly IMHO.

brandy
22-Jan-09, 17:16
*grins* just to show what an evil little witch i am... its not just a fad.. when i was a child, i would scream and kick and refuse to go into a car if someone was smoking. ive hated cigarettes as long as i can remember. i think they are horrible things, and well yuck.. but if someone else wants to puff away on a cancer stick in their own home.. thats their choice.
i do agree that it should most def. be kept away from children, and i have refused to take my children to visit family members whom i knew would be smoking in the room with them.
that is simply my choice. i try my best to keep my children and myself safe and healthy.

crashbandicoot1979
22-Jan-09, 17:52
Is easy to say that smoking is the choice of an individual. Fair enough. But in the case of pregnant mothers, that arguement doesn't stand up. How can anyone even consider risking the health of their unborn child by smoking when pregant? I just can't see any justification for it. And the same goes with drugs and alcohol.

It absolutely cracks me up when people won't smoke around their children, yet quite happily puffed away when they were pregnant. By all means protect your children but you'd think they'd make the effort to protect them before they were born aswell.

And no, I am not perfect and I'm not against smokers per se but I cannot stand pregnant mothers smoking.

mccaugm
22-Jan-09, 18:34
Hhmm, i do see your point, but would you say if someone said

"my fist, my kids, butt out"

the point here is that it can put the kids at risk, however, its is hard to keep kids away from smoke the whole time, if you visit someone who smokes, you cant really ask them not to in their own home..

Why not...I do. They are my kids, therefore I am responsible for their health and wellbeing and if someone puts that in jeapordy then I will ask them not to smoke no matter where I am. As for someone saying that they should be allowed to smoke in their own car whilst there kids are in it, thats downright irresponsible and selfish.

Bad Manners
22-Jan-09, 18:42
Why not...I do. They are my kids, therefore I am responsible for their health and wellbeing and if someone puts that in jeapordy then I will ask them not to smoke no matter where I am. As for someone saying that they should be allowed to smoke in their own car whilst there kids are in it, thats downright irresponsible and selfish.
I agree that it is irresponsible and selfish but at the momment legal however taxi driver,bus drivers and anyone else smoking in a vehicle used for their employment or business is breaking the law. and as such should be repremanded at the least or fined as they are commiting an offence but it is treated the same as litter no one bothers

Bazeye
22-Jan-09, 20:37
So in summer when the decent(ish) weathers here are any non smokers who use The Holborns and The Comms outdoor smoking areas going to be asked to "Go back inside please, this is a smoking area only"?

sandyr
22-Jan-09, 20:44
I have to agree with Jaws. Perhaps not as strongly, but there is a point where there is over regulation. And the Law has just been passed in Ontario... one cannot use a Cellphone/ Mobile unless it is 'Hands Free'!
So now the Police must enforce these rules and I can hear it now....The Cops should be chasing Criminals, not people 'Haeing a Fag'! My Caithness spelling has gone a bit haywire!
We are becoming so regulated and perhaps there is point for not using a cell phone whilst driving and not smoking in a car with Children but.....well there are two sides to it.
And the Latest...... Fresh Off the Press..... Toronto City Council are considering banning smoking in Public Playgrounds!!!!
I am sure we all have our opinions but I do wonder where it will all end.
You now have to have a licence to fish, to operate a small boat, a skidoo, a seadoo and the list goes on.

Bazeye
22-Jan-09, 20:57
I cant afford to die.

brandy
22-Jan-09, 21:10
ewwww,thats another of my pet hates.... why would you want to smoke in a childs playground?
its just so gross, all the cig. buts on the ground!
i mean seriously, i want to be able to take my children to the park and be able to play with them, not shout at them.... PUT THAT DOWN! dont put it in your mouth!
for some reason toddlers have a magnetic pull to the remains of cigarettes!
i know i do not want my children picking them up and what not... dont think any other parents want thier children to either...

sandyr
22-Jan-09, 21:49
I understand what you are saying, but their reasoning on this issue is the '2nd hand smoke', not the butts on the ground.
There is a different sense of discarding garbage/ ciggy butts etc., here. I have taken kids to the park, some of them are rather large, and they are very clean. Most people in North America don't throw butts out car windows or on the ground. There are garbage containers for the likes of that, and ashtrays in the cars......
e.g. Toronto is practically spotless, perhaps New York isn't as clean. The cleanliness is one of the things that impressed me most about Canada.
And you are correct, but what next as they say. And who is going to enforce all these new laws, and why have them if they are un...enforceable?
There are pros and cons....................

ShelleyCowie
22-Jan-09, 21:52
I am a parent....i am a smoker (for now) but as i said before i NEVER smoke infront of my son! And i do not allow others to do so! And people are ok with that! I wash my hands thoroughly before i go near him every time!

I actually have no choice but to stop smoking VERY soon because of alot of problems with my organs just now. So i am going to try my hardest and stop tomorrow! :Razz

Again though i will not allow my son in any area where people are smoking!

Bazeye
22-Jan-09, 22:00
Here its a £50 fine if your caught not picking up your dogs mess

and its a £75 fine for dropping your butts on the ground.

I know which one id rather step on.

Salad Fingers
22-Jan-09, 22:14
My chauffeur Benson always smokes in the car. I didn't realise it was against the law. I think he hedges his bets with me half the time. If he does it again i'll sack him and he'll be back to driving camels.

joxville
22-Jan-09, 23:39
[quote=Bazeye;488312
and its a £75 fine for dropping your butts on the ground.[/quote]

That must be a problem for short-arsed people. [lol]