PDA

View Full Version : Hospital ?

shazzap
19-Jan-09, 00:58
I will be moving up to the Caithness area end of February and have just finished a course of radiotherapy. My question is if anyone can answer it is.
If you are in need of treament and checks for cancer, scans etc, as i hope i will not have to have anymore radiotherapy. Do the local hospitals have facilities for this kind of illness.

Venture
19-Jan-09, 01:07
Rather than maybe end up with the wrong information it would be better if you contacted the Hospital direct. The number is 01955 605050. If you are moving to the area you will also need to register with one of the GP's at Riverview Practice on 01955 602355. They will be able to advise you also. I hope you enjoy your move to the area and look forward to seeing you post on the org.;)

shazzap
19-Jan-09, 01:15
Rather than maybe end up with the wrong information it would be better if you contacted the Hospital direct. The number is 01955 605050. If you are moving to the area you will also need to register with one of the GP's at Riverview Practice on 01955 602355. They will be able to advise you also. I hope you enjoy your move to the area and look forward to seeing you post on the org.;)

Thamk you for taking the time out to put some telephone numbers on here for me.

Venture
19-Jan-09, 01:20
Thamk you for taking the time out to put some telephone numbers on here for me.

My pleasure. If you need any more information on the area just ask the orgers. ;)

ShelleyCowie
19-Jan-09, 01:25
My pleasure. If you need any more information on the area just ask the orgers. ;)

We are here to help! :Razz

2little2late
19-Jan-09, 01:32
The number is 01955 605050.

Do you think BT gave the hospital this number on purpose or was it just a 50/50 chance of them getting it? [lol]

ShelleyCowie
19-Jan-09, 01:45
Do you think BT gave the hospital this number on purpose or was it just a 50/50 chance of them getting it? [lol]

Not to put anybody going to this hospital it was a pure joke when i was little...but my mum used to say it was a 50/50 chance of coming out alive. She was speaking about the food many years ago!

I have been in the hospital many times for multiple nights and cannot fault the Henderson/Bignold wings!!! The food was AWSOME when i was in too! And that was just october! I love the soup! :Razz

shazzap
19-Jan-09, 01:49
Not to put anybody going to this hospital it was a pure joke when i was little...but my mum used to say it was a 50/50 chance of coming out alive. She was speaking about the food many years ago!

I have been in the hospital many times for multiple nights and cannot fault the Henderson/Bignold wings!!! The food was AWSOME when i was in too! And that was just october! I love the soup! :Razz

How do you rate the cleanliness of hospitals in this area are they good or do they fall short

ShelleyCowie
19-Jan-09, 01:53
How do you rate the cleanliness of hospitals in this area are they good or do they fall short

When i was there, constant cleaning! There are plenty of cleaners always on the go. The wings i was in was impecable! Cant fault it at all!!

Extremelly friendly staff! Always make some time to talk to you instead of just passing by and making you feel uncomfortable!

I loved my stay there and could not stop thanking all the nurses all the time for the amount of help they gave me!

kitty kat
19-Jan-09, 01:59

welcome to the org shazzap

i can not fault the hospital at all i moved up here a few years ago and i could not believe the difference in the cleanliness and the approach the doctors/nurses have towards you, your not just a number but a patient i really hope you dont have to go in but should you have to the staff are second to none:lol:

and when you do go in there is no 3 hour waits in A&E (with the exception of mad friday) a breath of fresh air

shazzap
19-Jan-09, 02:01
When i was there, constant cleaning! There are plenty of cleaners always on the go. The wings i was in was impecable! Cant fault it at all!!

Extremelly friendly staff! Always make some time to talk to you instead of just passing by and making you feel uncomfortable!

I loved my stay there and could not stop thanking all the nurses all the time for the amount of help they gave me!

That is good news the hospital where i had major cancer surgery and radiotherapy was extremley clean. But there is another hospital not too far away that just doesent come up to scratch, i know things can vary dramatically from hospital to hospital

sweetpea
19-Jan-09, 02:06
The only thing I've had done in Wick hospital is a cast to a broken limb but I have to say they were spot on. But then I never got to see how clean they were really. In my mind when they did away with the old ways and privatised cleaning things went down hill in a lot of hospitals.:(

shazzap
19-Jan-09, 02:12
The only thing I've had done in Wick hospital is a cast to a broken limb but I have to say they were spot on. But then I never got to see how clean they were really. In my mind when they did away with the old ways and privatised cleaning things went down hill in a lot of hospitals.:(

I couldn't agree more they should never have contracted out cleaning in the hospitals

sweetpea
19-Jan-09, 02:14
It's not just cleaning. Nurses have become pen pushers, always having to justify their existence. Never mind, I think if you did move here you would get a pretty good service. Just my HO:)

Fran
19-Jan-09, 02:31
Caithness General is an excellent hospital for cancer patients. chemotherapy is given on wednesdays, there are macmillan nurses there all the time, and some beds are designated for cancer patients. Although "himself" was never an in-patient, he had chemo and many check ups, blood tests etc, and out of hours visits there and everything was faultless. we are very lucky in caithness.Plus now that we have the ct scanner, used by cancer patients too, and the oncologist visits Caithness, cancer patients dont have to go to invernes s so much.

Fluff
19-Jan-09, 08:46
I have to agree about the staff, so friendly. My mum was in intensive care a couple of years ago, I was not able to come up to see her. I was allowed to phone the wing directly and speak to her on her phone, which was a big relief.
Good luck on your treatment.

poppett
19-Jan-09, 12:16
Welcome Shazzap. You could not have picked a better place to move to.

I have always found the hospital in both Wick and Thurso to be spotlessly clean, and staff helpful and friendly.

My OH had cancer surgery at the Western General in Edinburgh almost three years ago and still attends there for checkups and scans, but that is because his Consultant performed pioneering surgery after he had been given a six week prognosis........... and wanted to continue to keep a very close eye on him. His cancer is currently in remission and we make the trek to Edinburgh again next month. It has been worth it for the peace of mind of continuity of care.

Having said that he has also attended Wick Hospital and had treatment at Dunbar as an outpatient post op from Edinburgh and was pleased with the kindness shown to him in both hospitals.

Hope your move goes smoothly, and your health continues to improve.

garrioch
19-Jan-09, 15:04

Business can ask for specific numbers, if they are free they get them otherwise bt will try to find as close a match as possible things like, they ask for it to end with 1234 but end up with 3456 etc.

Kirdon
19-Jan-09, 15:19
Business can ask for specific numbers, if they are free they get them otherwise bt will try to find as close a match as possible things like, they ask for it to end with 1234 but end up with 3456 etc.

not trying to be picky but residential cust can also do the same as I had a friend who did just this a matter of weeks ago.

garrioch
19-Jan-09, 15:33
not trying to be picky but residential cust can also do the same as I had a friend who did just this a matter of weeks ago.

true but there is less chioce as the "good" numbers are kept for business as they are more likey to ask for it, but yeah if your residentail and want a better number just ask and they will do what they can.

2little2late
19-Jan-09, 16:09
Unless you need any major operation, CGH is alright. Even if bairns need teeth out they have to go to Raigmore. Not many broken bones can be fixed up here either.

shazzap
19-Jan-09, 23:01
Caithness General is an excellent hospital for cancer patients. chemotherapy is given on wednesdays, there are macmillan nurses there all the time, and some beds are designated for cancer patients. Although "himself" was never an in-patient, he had chemo and many check ups, blood tests etc, and out of hours visits there and everything was faultless. we are very lucky in caithness.Plus now that we have the ct scanner, used by cancer patients too, and the oncologist visits Caithness, cancer patients dont have to go to invernes s so much.

Thats good news about the CT scanner as i will have to have regular scans for many years to come, also that an oncologist comes to Wick .

Thank you for all your PM'S and kind comments