PDA

View Full Version : Fire in Wick H. S.

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 17:23
One of my kids tells me that when the alarm went off in the school they were evacuated out through a fire door in the tech. dept. and ushered up the side of the building past where the fire was. In fact they should have been sent in the opposite direction towards the assembly point for the tech. block. at the front of the school. They were allowed to congregate only feet from the fire and directly in front of where the fire engine would be arriving. Apparently the rector and one of his so called deputes were there as well. They were asked to move away only when the fire engine arrived. Do they not have any fire procedures in the school? If they do, why dont the people who run the school enforce them or at least make sure the children follow them?
Does it take a disaster and for someone to lose their life before the idiots in charge of Wick H.S. realise and accept their responsibilities, I guess so.

Venture
18-Jan-09, 18:45
This fire happened some time ago. Why has it taken you until now to complain about it?

Calling the people who run Wick High School idiots, is a sure fire way of getting yourself barred on here or at least the thread removed.

changilass
18-Jan-09, 18:48
My child is too young for high school, so this does not directly afect me.

My question is :- have you broached this subject with the school, if not maybe it would be a good idea to do so, they may be aware of the situation and in the process of dealing with it.

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 19:04
My child is too young for high school, so this does not directly afect me.

My question is :- have you broached this subject with the school, if not maybe it would be a good idea to do so, they may be aware of the situation and in the process of dealing with it.

Have done, wasn't satisfied with the response, awaiting response from higher place.

hotrod4
18-Jan-09, 19:06
Have done, wasn't satisfied with the response, awaiting response from higher place.
Maybe actually giving them a chance to respond would be a better plan of attack? After all they wouldnt discuss one of your kids on a public forum so maybe a little of "whats good for the goose" is in order?

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 19:13
Maybe actually giving them a chance to respond would be a better plan of attack? After all they wouldnt discuss one of your kids on a public forum so maybe a little of "whats good for the goose" is in order?

Are you on the payroll?

hotrod4
18-Jan-09, 19:14
Are you on the payroll?
Fraid not, just looking at it without the blinkers getting in the way!!!![lol]

rfr10
18-Jan-09, 19:28
One of my kids tells me that when the alarm went off in the school they were evacuated out through a fire door in the tech. dept. and ushered up the side of the building past where the fire was. In fact they should have been sent in the opposite direction towards the assembly point for the tech. block. at the front of the school. They were allowed to congregate only feet from the fire and directly in front of where the fire engine would be arriving. Apparently the rector and one of his so called deputes were there as well. They were asked to move away only when the fire engine arrived. Do they not have any fire procedures in the school? If they do, why dont the people who run the school enforce them or at least make sure the children follow them?
Does it take a disaster and for someone to lose their life before the idiots in charge of Wick H.S. realise and accept their responsibilities, I guess so.

Now are you sure they aren't mixing the tech hut up with the new block which holds the technical department? I can assure you that there were no pupils along side the tech huts where the fire was. There were teachers making sure no pupils went near the huts and there were no pupils in the huts at the time of the fire therefore I think that your son/daughter must be referring to the 'new' block as there are fire assembly points beyond this building near the games field. There are fire procedures in the school and these are clearly stated, along with the assembly point for each classroom above all classroom doors - getting all pupils to follow the directions on them is the problem. And to back the "idiots" in charge- high school aged pupils should be old enough to be responsible for themselves and therefore should not need teachers to enforce fire procedures.

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 20:25
Now are you sure they aren't mixing the tech hut up with the new block which holds the technical department? I can assure you that there were no pupils along side the tech huts where the fire was. There were teachers making sure no pupils went near the huts and there were no pupils in the huts at the time of the fire therefore I think that your son/daughter must be referring to the 'new' block as there are fire assembly points beyond this building near the games field. There are fire procedures in the school and these are clearly stated, along with the assembly point for each classroom above all classroom doors - getting all pupils to follow the directions on them is the problem. And to back the "idiots" in charge- high school aged pupils should be old enough to be responsible for themselves and therefore should not need teachers to enforce fire procedures.

I know the difference between the tech block and the new block, or to give it it's proper title, the extension block. Believe me when I tell you that the children were walking up the side of the TECH BLOCK. Not only was my child there, but so were about a dozen others, they were not directed to the proper fire assembly point at the front of the school. BELIEVE!! By the way, they wanted to 'see the fire for themselves'. Ever heard of the term 'rubber neckers' - people who can't resist having a look even when they know they shouldn't, and they're not just children,

rfr10
18-Jan-09, 20:39
I know the difference between the tech block and the new block, or to give it it's proper title, the extension block. Believe me when I tell you that the children were walking up the side of the TECH BLOCK. Not only was my child there, but so were about a dozen others, they were not directed to the proper fire assembly point at the front of the school. BELIEVE!! By the way, they wanted to 'see the fire for themselves'. Ever heard of the term 'rubber neckers' - people who can't resist having a look even when they know they shouldn't, and they're not just children,

Do you know what classroom they were in exactly and then I'll tell you if they were 'lead' to the correct fire assembly point? You have said they were allowed to congregate beside the tech block but like I said I can assure you that there were no pupils congredated beside the tech block as it was cordoned off by staff. When you refer to the tech department, I assume you mean the tech department in the New/Extension block? If you do- the assembly point for this block is at the back of the school. Since there were no pupils in the tech huts where the fire took place they wouldn't have been directed to the front of the school. I'm sorry but I don't think you have your facts right here. Feel free to dispute this if I'm wrong.

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 20:50
Do you know what classroom they were in exactly and then I'll tell you if they were 'lead' to the correct fire assembly point? You have said they were allowed to congregate beside the tech block but like I said I can assure you that there were no pupils congredated beside the tech block as it was cordoned off by staff. When you refer to the tech department, I assume you mean the tech department in the New/Extension block? If you do- the assembly point for this block is at the back of the school. Since there were no pupils in the tech huts where the fire took place they wouldn't have been directed to the front of the school. I'm sorry but I don't think you have your facts right here. Feel free to dispute this if I'm wrong.

There were about a dozen pupils in the TECH BLOCK at the front of the school. These pupils were studying engineering delivered by Thurso college staff. My child WAS there, believe me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Venture
18-Jan-09, 20:58
What you seem to be implying here is that children were unsupervised during the fire and were able to actually go to the building concerned to try and see for themselves what was happening.

Is this the case or not.

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 21:01
what you seem to be implying here is that children were unsupervised during the fire and were able to actually go to the building concerned to try and see for themselves what was happening.

Is this the case or not.

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

rfr10
18-Jan-09, 21:02
There were about a dozen pupils in the TECH BLOCK at the front of the school. These pupils were studying engineering delivered by Thurso college staff. My child WAS there, believe me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they were lead out the fire exit, they would have to pass the building anyway. The building is not that big so if they were led the long way, it would still only take them a maximum of 10 seconds to clear the building if they followed proper procedures and exit the building immediately at the fire exit.

Kirdon
18-Jan-09, 21:11
What you seem to be implying here is that children were unsupervised during the fire and were able to actually go to the building concerned to try and see for themselves what was happening.

Is this the case or not.

zeppellin. If your kid was stupid enough to go and see what was happening you should be speaking to them not moaning about the school.

rfr10
18-Jan-09, 21:13
zeppellin. If your kid was stupid enough to go and see what was happening you should be speaking to them not moaning about the school.

That's the next point I was going to make :Razz

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 21:14
If they were lead out the fire exit, they would have to pass the building anyway. The building is not that big so if they were led the long way, it would still only take them a maximum of 10 seconds to clear the building if they followed proper procedures and exit the building immediately at the fire exit.

The fire door is at the front of the school and ten seconds is a long time in an emergency. They were allowed or led the wrong way.

ShelleyCowie
18-Jan-09, 21:15
That's the next point I was going to make :Razz

Ditto.......

rfr10
18-Jan-09, 21:17
The fire door is at the front of the school and ten seconds is a long time in an emergency. They were allowed or led the wrong way.

The fire exit for the tech block is at the side of the building and this is where I saw pupils in blue suits if this is who you refer to and they were soon cleared away from the side of the building. As high school pupils, like I said before, they should be mature enough to exit the building safely and assemble at the nearest assembly point. They aren't babies and shouldn't need teachers to tell them where to go.

10 seconds is a long time in an emergency? What do you expect them to do- install teleports? :confused

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 21:19

Have spoken to my child and expressed my dissapointment. Are you suggesting this was all his/her fault? Were there not some 'adults' there?
But if it makes you feel better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rfr10
18-Jan-09, 21:22
Are you suggesting this was all his/her fault?

.......yes

COACHMAN
18-Jan-09, 21:24

This Quote is Correct and True i know because i saw it all,Standing with the Kids who were studying engineering was also a Local fireman/Staff member of Thurso College.and all what Zeppellin has said is TRUE AND FACT.
Also Disabled Children in Wheelchairs were taken from the New Block down Passed the Area of the Fire.
It was a Complete Shambles with a Depute Head Teacher shouting out at the front of the school for no good reason at other teachers.
RFR were you at the locus as you seem to have plenty to say about it.

celtic 302
19-Jan-09, 00:14
Thank you COACHMAN for making sure I know that zeppellin was both correct and true. I might of mistakenly though he was correct but false. Silly me!

Anywho, is this not all a bit out of proportion? We aren't talking about the children getting to go and lick the radioactive waste (not that there is any...). We are talking about a few children wanting to look at a teeny-weeny fire, when they should of had the sense to just stand where they were told.

So what we all need to do, is take a chill-pill, what ever the hell one of those is, and stop brandishing the rector and co "idiots" on stories we are hearing from children. The sort of people who probably enjoy a littler hyperbole.

telfordstar
19-Jan-09, 00:15
Well I never does it really matter how they all got out they all did safely and quickly didn't they so where's the problem? Just because they wernt lines up pretty? Get a grip.

Why were you standing watching at the front of the high school anyway coachman taking photos perhaps!!!!!!!!

celtic 302
19-Jan-09, 00:18
Well I never does it really matter how they all got out they all did safely and quickly didn't they so where's the problem? Just because they wernt lines up pretty? Get a grip.

Why were you standing watching at the front of the high school anyway coachman taking photos perhaps!!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more. This is completely out of proportion. And what are you implying about COACHMAN, that he is a keen ornithologist?

telfordstar
19-Jan-09, 00:24
Couldn't agree more. This is completely out of proportion. And what are you implying about COACHMAN, that he is a keen ornithologist?

Maybe that was what COACHMAN was studying but I very very very much doubt it.

A picture that was in the groat told us different !!

celtic 302
19-Jan-09, 00:27
A scandal! Who doesn't enjoy one of those?

telfordstar
19-Jan-09, 00:29
[QUOTE=celtic 302;486068]A scandal! Who doesn't enjoy one of those?[

I could say more but I'd better not.

celtic 302
19-Jan-09, 00:38
Don't stop on my behalf.

telfordstar
19-Jan-09, 00:41
Oh don't worry I'm not just not wanting to get in trouble with the org police. Which would be just like coachman getting in trouble with the real police like he did. Mmmmmm

hotrod4
19-Jan-09, 07:09
Remember that old Commercial union insurance advert?- "we wont make a drama out of a crisis", Doesnt apply to Caithness does it!!!!![lol]

What this shows is "human nature", if you see a fire most people couldnt help but look,i know people will say they wont but when it happens you will.
If kids are "rubber necking" is that the teachers fault? Not really as all it shows that the kids arent doing what their told and whos to blame for that?
It shows that they never listened to fire briefings and didnt take it too seeriously.

Kevin Milkins
19-Jan-09, 08:00
Remember that old Commercial union insurance advert?- "we wont make a drama out of a crisis", Doesnt apply to Caithness does it!!!!![lol]

What this shows is "human nature", if you see a fire most people couldnt help but look,i know people will say they wont but when it happens you will.
If kids are "rubber necking" is that the teachers fault? Not really as all it shows that the kids arent doing what their told and whos to blame for that?
It shows that they never listened to fire briefings and didnt take it too seeriously.

I have noticed when on an airoplane that not many people seem to pay any attention to the safety procedture before taking off.

Since that plane landed on the Hudson river I bet everyone on bored a flight now sit bolt upright and check every word spoken:eek: and josstle for the seat by the wing.:lol:

hotrod4
19-Jan-09, 18:24
I have noticed when on an airoplane that not many people seem to pay any attention to the safety procedture before taking off.

Since that plane landed on the Hudson river I bet everyone on bored a flight now sit bolt upright and check every word spoken:eek: and josstle for the seat by the wing.:lol:

Didnt realise they had Aeroplanes in Wales Kevin? Is that why you moved to the bustling metropolis that is Wick so you can see "them funny things in the sky that be scaring our sheep"[lol]

Kevin Milkins
19-Jan-09, 18:42
Didnt realise they had Aeroplanes in Wales Kevin? Is that why you moved to the bustling metropolis that is Wick so you can see "them funny things in the sky that be scaring our sheep"[lol]

Don't you start, we have enough problems with that bloudy Anne Robinson.;):lol:

parkie
21-Jan-09, 21:36
This Quote is Correct and True i know because i saw it all,Standing with the Kids who were studying engineering was also a Local fireman/Staff member of Thurso College.and all what Zeppellin has said is TRUE AND FACT.
Also Disabled Children in Wheelchairs were taken from the New Block down Passed the Area of the Fire.
It was a Complete Shambles with a Depute Head Teacher shouting out at the front of the school for no good reason at other teachers.
RFR were you at the locus as you seem to have plenty to say about it.rfr he was at the locus the one with the camera

hotrod4
22-Jan-09, 07:22
Now why was someone who isnt an employee standing with the kids?. Surely non school employees shouldnt have been standing with the kids, or was it a simple case of "rubber necking"?:roll:

telfordstar
22-Jan-09, 13:39
Now why was someone who isnt an employee standing with the kids?. Surely non school employees shouldnt have been standing with the kids, or was it a simple case of "rubber necking"?:roll:

Well said.:lol:

parkie
23-Jan-09, 18:34
thought we would have had a reply from coachman:confused

hotrod4
23-Jan-09, 19:06
thought we would have had a reply from coachman:confused
He has but you cant see it!;)

parkie
23-Jan-09, 20:58
lol in his dark room:cool:

hotrod4
24-Jan-09, 09:02
Whats more disturbing is the fact that someone sees fit to run and get a camera and start taking pictures...........why?
If it was me i would offer some assistance rather than rush and get a camera,snap on my zoom lens and take pics.
Just goes to show how some people think doesnt it?:eek:
Shameful carry on.

telfordstar
24-Jan-09, 13:02
Whats more disturbing is the fact that someone sees fit to run and get a camera and start taking pictures...........why?
If it was me i would offer some assistance rather than rush and get a camera,snap on my zoom lens and take pics.
Just goes to show how some people think doesnt it?:eek:
Shameful carry on.

Totally agree with you there hotrod. It's a pity we couldn't put private messages on show that we have recieved.