PDA

View Full Version : 'Funny Games' - a film...

percy toboggan
18-Jan-09, 16:48
....blimey! I watched the first twenty minutes of this on Film 4 last night..the disc recorder device was whirring so I hi-tailed off to bed. I need to watch this with my wife - she loves a good, twisty, unnerving yarn. And, I was getting shivers in places that don't normally shiver.

It has the makings of a trial by telly!...a pleasant family of three - mothered by the spiffing Naomi Watts and fathered by Tim Roth arrive, happily singing and smiling at their weekend home...I'd guess north of New York but dunno....it's a grand palce and they're pulling a trailer behind their Range Rover with a boat on it....swines!

They get an unusually muted response from neighbours...who can barely summon a wave, much less a cheery word...they appear to have 'guests' in the shape of two young men...non-threatening characters...or so it seems.

Soon enough one of these bods is knocking at Naomi's door to borrow eggs.....yes eggs...hens eggs..nothing uvf about this scenario...unless it's ultra very fearful. Because before we know it he's (unbeknowingly to Naomi) taken a golf club ( a good un - Calloway I think) to the Red Setter and things start to go downhill fast! He spills the eggs in the hallway and after she cleans them up he then demands more....eggs. He's such a cheeky, increasingly impolite person she feels uncomfy..as one would. I'd not have given him eggs in the first place mind (but then, we have a 24 hours ASDA just up the road)

I'm off to watch the rest of it now and can say I feel just a little trepeditious. This movie was originally made in Germany, in German...it was considered so good a re-make in English was commisioned with the same Director.

Looks good...and having spent ten minutes on the treadmill, I feel justified in cracking open a 'Speckled Hen' ......in the spirit of the film of course (yolk)

(I wish there was a movie review section on this board)

percy toboggan
18-Jan-09, 16:54
just rememebred it's IVF !
Not UVF - isn't that double glazing?
Sorry..my knowledge of procreation beyond the basics is challenged.;)

joxville
18-Jan-09, 17:12
Tips to help the old people:

IVF=In vitro fertilization
PVC=Polyvinyl chloride
UVF=Ulster Volunteer Force, a loyalist group in Northern Ireland.

hotrod4
18-Jan-09, 17:51
just rememebred it's IVF !
Not UVF - isn't that double glazing?
Sorry..my knowledge of procreation beyond the basics is challenged.;)
Tut tut Percy too many speckled hens make the old man slur his typing!!!!:lol:

percy toboggan
18-Jan-09, 20:03
I'm unsure whether to take this whole thread down, for I don't want to give this movie much publicity.

Although it was very gripping , extremely tense and frighteningly possible this was perhaps the most ultimately 'feelbad' film I've ever seen.
No eventual triumph of good -okay...no moral redemption - well life's not allways like that ...but with just pure evil on display via sadism and butchery this thing needed a positive outcome. It didn't get it. The family - likeable, happy and hospitable - all met their doom at the hands of two young men who were left at liberty to do it again in the same casual. routine but ever so polite way.

'Orrible. [disgust]

Mrs.T : A film like this shouldn't be on the telly, even after midnight "

percy toboggan
18-Jan-09, 20:35
Mmm..both given this more thought.
Because of certain production techniques (some might say gimmicks)
the Director wants to annoy the audience. He succeeded. In retrospect
he succeeded in making me angry....until a moment of retributional
violence was like a catharsis....
..then he snatched it away again.

A movie for the very intelligent...but I still enjoyed it...even if I had to think about it and read up on it to really get what was going on.

So..if you can stomach bloody violence (only its consequences are graphically projected) and want to get really, really angry...rent it/buy it or look out for Film 4 schedules.

Aaldtimer
19-Jan-09, 04:11
I watched it last night when it was screened.
Deeply disturbing violent film but very thought provoking.
The casual violence on show only made all the worse with the offenders "politeness".
The golf club didn't show any evidence of being used as the intrument of despatch for the dog though...poor continuity?
And those white clothes would have shown blood spatter surely?
(OK, CSI fan, I confess.)
I was glad I watched it though...interesting exercise, especially with the asides to the viewers, and the "let's run through that again section", when every viewer probably didn't want to! ;)

percy toboggan
19-Jan-09, 19:59
I've been thinking about this on and off all day.
It's a piece designed to make one think.
Think, and examine your own attitudes of just what you want from a movie.
Should it be entertaining...and who owns the plot? does the writer/director have the right to jerk with your emotions...indisputably yes.

What of this had been a less photogenic family?

This film is so unremittingly bleak. Crimes like these happen regularly somewhere or other. Though the film gave no inkling why it did demonstrate the believable depths to which a true sadist can shrink without ever showing graphic violence - only the appalling aftermath of it.

Joxville: (thanks for the rep) I'd buy it if I were you but prepare to be assaulted emotionally, if you're a caring, sensitive human being. If you're all of the casual joker you sometimes comes across as on here then you might just brush it off. I don't know you so I have no idea. Make sure you get the right one 'Funny Games US' ...incidentally the soundtrack during titles and credits is quite dreadful and sets the scene for a chaotic rampage through human decency.

(aaldtimer) - how long does it take to wipe blood off a driving iron? There might not have been any on the club anyway. I think the white garb was an ironic stab at 'butter wouldn't melt' purity...it worked I think.

percy toboggan
22-Jan-09, 19:25
11.05 an Film 4.
Anybody with a masochistic bent who wants to have a look , and evaluate the experience later why not check it oot?

(I'm thinking of studying 'film' at a serious kind of level - hence my interest in reaction.)

Aaldtimer
22-Jan-09, 21:02
Some interesting analysis and "user comments" here Percy...:D
http://aolsearch.aol.co.uk/aol/redir?src=websearch&requestId=469f69386948f072&clickedItemRank=1&userQuery=funny+games+us&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imdb.com%2Ftitle%2 Ftt0808279%2F&title=%3Cb%3EFunny+Games+U.S.%3C%2Fb%3E+%282007%29&moduleId=matchingsites.jsp.M&clickedItemPageRanking=1&clickedItemPage=1&clickedItemDescription=WebResults

Sorry about the long link!