PDA

View Full Version : Parents evenings in Wick High School

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 16:35
does anyone have an opinion on the sugestion that parents evenings in Wick High School are to be moved to an earlier time slot, I hear they may be moved to between 4.00pm and 7.30pm. Personally I would support this innovative change as I can attend them straight after work. At present I drive 18.5 miles home from work only to return less than two hours later for these parents evenings. I have two kids in the school at present. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this subject?

hotrod4
18-Jan-09, 17:53
does anyone have an opinion on the sugestion that parents evenings in Wick High School are to be moved to an earlier time slot, I hear they may be moved to between 4.00pm and 7.30pm. Personally I would support this innovative change as I can attend them straight after work. At present I drive 18.5 miles home from work only to return less than two hours later for these parents evenings. I have two kids in the school at present. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this subject?
Can you clarify where you got the info? Havent heard anything concrete about it yet.

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 17:58
As Iv'e said previously, I have two children in the school. They apparently have had discussions with some members of staff.

hotrod4
18-Jan-09, 18:02
Has their been anything actually been decided though? I too have two kids in the school and they havent been informed, thats why I asked if it was CONCRETE information as I know what school grapevines can be like!!!:lol:

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 18:12
I'm not aware of anything concrete as yet but that doesn't stop the org community discussing it. Perhaps it may even help the school in their decision making process if a debate was to ensue. My child informs me that it was to be raised at the last parent council meeting and that parents were to be given their say soon after.
I personally would like these evenings earlier and surely I'm not alone in this.

hotrod4
18-Jan-09, 18:15
Some people may prefer it earlier, but as the majority of parents will be from Wick then it is easier to have it at the regular time. I know that doesnt help all those that live in outlying areas,but maybe have a seperate evening for them?, or spread it over different times and evenings.But the drawback with that is teachers having to give up more of their own free time,which isnt really fair on them.

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 18:27
Some people may prefer it earlier, but as the majority of parents will be from Wick then it is easier to have it at the regular time. I know that doesnt help all those that live in outlying areas,but maybe have a seperate evening for them?, or spread it over different times and evenings.But the drawback with that is teachers having to give up more of their own free time,which isnt really fair on them.
'The regular time' Are you so afraid of change that you wont even give it some thought. why wouldn't people from Wick not want these evenings earlier,? especially as most of them happen during the winter months. I fail to see your argument, just as I suspect you fail to see mine.
It's also not a good thing to talk on behalf of all Wickers, they have their own voice!!!!!

hotrod4
18-Jan-09, 18:34
'The regular time' Are you so afraid of change that you wont even give it some thought. why wouldn't people from Wick not want these evenings earlier,? especially as most of them happen during the winter months. I fail to see your argument, just as I suspect you fail to see mine.
It's also not a good thing to talk on behalf of all Wickers, they have their own voice!!!!!
Do you actually wish to have a debate or is your sole intention to stir things up?
I never once stated that I am speaking on behalf of "all" Wickers,I just stated what possible solutions could be made, nothing else.
Maybe once something is ACTUALLY concrete then it would be better to debate, rather than acting upon hearsay.You dont like the school much do you????;)

Venture
18-Jan-09, 18:40
I'm not aware of anything concrete as yet but that doesn't stop the org community discussing it. Perhaps it may even help the school in their decision making process if a debate was to ensue. My child informs me that it was to be raised at the last parent council meeting and that parents were to be given their say soon after.
I personally would like these evenings earlier and surely I'm not alone in this.

Having attended the Parent Council meeting held last week I can tell you that there was no mention from the rector of any changes to the Parents Evenings.

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 18:55
Do you actually wish to have a debate or is your sole intention to stir things up?
I never once stated that I am speaking on behalf of "all" Wickers,I just stated what possible solutions could be made, nothing else.
Maybe once something is ACTUALLY concrete then it would be better to debate, rather than acting upon hearsay.You dont like the school much do you????;)

Debate please, and as a former pupil it is with dismay that I listen to the stories that come out of the place. I also consider one or two members of staff within the school to be friends of mine, believe me, they are also dismayed at the decline of the school. And before anyone asks, they are well respected, long serving, hard working and conscientious, they don't want to see the school in the state that it is in (and I'm not talking about the buildings here,) they are becoming more and more depressed about the way it's run.

Westsider3
18-Jan-09, 18:57
I have to say that from the teaching staff's point, I am sure many of them would like to have the night start earlier too as then they have a chance to go home and unwind after the night too! I would think that from 4pm - 7.30pm covers everyone's appointment requirements surely!!

Venture
18-Jan-09, 19:00
If you are so displeased with the way that WHS is being run why haven't you approached the school or attended the Parent Council meetings? They are open to all parents, particularly those who may have a grievance with the school and would like to discuss this with other parents as well as the rector and staff who attend meetings.

The rector and staff are not in a position to reply to you on here and it is them at the end of the day that you are complaining about. To openly criticise them on a public forum is out of order. As a parent you should be contacting the school.

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 19:01
I have to say that from the teaching staff's point, I am sure many of them would like to have the night start earlier too as then they have a chance to go home and unwind after the night too! I would think that from 4pm - 7.30pm covers everyone's appointment requirements surely!!

At last, someones talking some sense.:Razz

hotrod4
18-Jan-09, 19:04
At last, someones talking some sense.:Razz
So if I agree with you as well then I am talking sense?:lol:

Doesnt really bother me what times it is. Where theres a will theres a way. Surely if someone really really cares about their kids it wouldnt matter what time it was on,they would try and find a way,or should the school just ponder to one or two peoples specific wishes because there kids are more important than others? Dont think so!!!!

changilass
18-Jan-09, 19:05
Didn't realise that talking sense required agreement with yourself - bit narrow minded don't you think?

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 19:11
So if I agree with you as well then I am talking sense?:lol:

Doesnt really bother me what times it is. Where theres a will theres a way. Surely if someone really really cares about their kids it wouldnt matter what time it was on,they would try and find a way,or should the school just ponder to one or two peoples specific wishes because there kids are more important than others? Dont think so!!!!

Don't remember saying my kids are more important than anyone elses. It's got nothing to do with them, it's a PARENT/TEACHERS evening. I'm only trying to gauge opinion, or is this a taboo subject.
Jump in anyone if you have an opinion or some thoughts.

changilass
18-Jan-09, 19:13
I alus go for the 8ish slot on parents evening, that way the wee man is in bed afore I go.

hotrod4
18-Jan-09, 19:17
Don't remember saying my kids are more important than anyone elses. It's got nothing to do with them, it's a PARENT/TEACHERS evening. I'm only trying to gauge opinion, or is this a taboo subject.
Jump in anyone if you have an opinion or some thoughts.
Nothing taboo, just stated that it doesnt bother me what time it is, you always get plenty of notice to make arrangements,so time is not an issue for me,it may be for others but IMHO not me.

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 19:20
I alus go for the 8ish slot on parents evening, that way the wee man is in bed afore I go.

The 'wee man' wont always be the 'wee man', someday he will be in Wick H.S. '8ish' still ok then. You could always take the 'wee man' with you.

changilass
18-Jan-09, 19:25
8ish would prob be ok cos would be able to put him to grannies.

Take him with us - no chance, we are there to talk about him not too him :lol:, do plenty of that at home lol

ShelleyCowie
18-Jan-09, 19:29
The 'wee man' wont always be the 'wee man', someday he will be in Wick H.S. '8ish' still ok then. You could always take the 'wee man' with you.

Every post i have read back here seems to have something disrespectful! About the school...im sorry but they are trying to do their jobs are they not? And maybe teachers will want to go home for some dinner or something before parents evening?

Finding reading some posts not very nice!

dirdyweeker
18-Jan-09, 19:31
Some very aggressive statements regarding the Wick High School but then if it is your opinion this is a public forum.
I personally would attend a Parents evening at any time to get the chance of speaking to my childs teachers regargarding his/her education. I also realise the teachers themselves have probably got better things to do in an evening so appreciate them staying behind for me. There is not much choice in having a Parents evening outwith the winter months as the new term for intakes start in August. It takes a few months of working with the pupils to be able to assess them and sometimes the appropriate time is before main exams, which again is a spring/summer event. I am sure if the proposed evening is not to some peoples needs an exception can be made. Appointments can be made to see an individual teacher if your childs progress necessitates it.
Zeppellin I would hope you could spare an evening once a month to travel to the Parent Council. Your input would be greatfully received. Many people come on here to air their views, few attend the Parent Council.

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 19:34
8ish would prob be ok cos would be able to put him to grannies.

Take him with us - no chance, we are there to talk about him not too him :lol:, do plenty of that at home lol

He's in bed by eight and attending Wick H.S. You could sell your secret for achieving this. How much?:Razz

Westsider3
18-Jan-09, 19:35
Don't you all think this post has got a bit heated about nothing? There is no definite times for this parents' evening to debate. It might be worthwhile saving thoughts until there is request from the school for opinions. And if you have lots of opinions then the parent Council is the place for you. Schools are always looking for positive and active members to attend! Lets just enjoy a peaceful Sunday night before the madness of another working week kicks in!!

ShelleyCowie
18-Jan-09, 19:37
Don't you all think this post has got a bit heated about nothing? There is no definite times for this parents' evening to debate. It might be worthwhile saving thoughts until there is request from the school for opinions. And if you have lots of opinions then the parent Council is the place for you. Schools are always looking for positive and active members to attend! Lets just enjoy a peaceful Sunday night before the madness of another working week kicks in!!

Completely agree! :Razz

Sunday is a day of rest. Well not for me! [lol] Busy busy busy!

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 19:45

Typical Caithnesian attitude, Manyanah. Yeah let's leave debate until it's too late. Dont you realise we are in the state we are in because of manyanah, sunday closing, half day Wednesday and inflated prices. if we had the attitude of the rest of the 'real' world, perhaps we would have a new school, a different rector and a more sociable time for parents evenings. Think on buddy!!!!!!

rfr10
18-Jan-09, 19:51
Without reading the whole entire thread, there is one thing I've noticed from two of your threads with regards to the school and that is that you are getting the information from your kids. Could it be possible that your kids are providing you with misleading information? I don't know who is telling you these things about how badly the school is run but, apart from the school building, there is nothing else I could fault. I am sure the senior management team are not idiots as you referred to them in another thread- I am quite sure they would have been to university and achieved very high standards to have been appointed to run a school. I'm sure it would be much better to find out facts and in order to do this, you will have to speak to the school direct.

Anyway, referring to the times of parents evening- my view would be (even though I am not a parent) that it should be kept at the time it is. Teachers have a hard enough job at school during the day so they don't want to be immediately faced with having to discuss pupils' work for hours on end without a break in between. They also need dinner so this is probably why the times are as they are.

ShelleyCowie
18-Jan-09, 19:53
Typical Caithnesian attitude, Manyanah. Yeah let's leave debate until it's too late. Dont you realise we are in the state we are in because of manyanah, sunday closing, half day Wednesday and inflated prices. if we had the attitude of the rest of the 'real' world, perhaps we would have a new school, a different rector and a more sociable time for parents evenings. Think on buddy!!!!!!

"Typical caithnesian attitude" Im sorry but i found that rather offensive yet again. :confused

dirdyweeker
18-Jan-09, 19:56
I'm sure it would be much better to find out facts and in order to do this, you will have to speak to the school direct.

Your input was good. I totally agree with it and especially this part.

Westsider3
18-Jan-09, 19:58

Thanks for that! Just for the record I am part of my local school's Parent Council and was a member of the PTA for many years before that. I have always supported my local school and all things in our local community. I am also currently on our local hall committee. I do take an active role in my life and how it is run. Personally I don't think there is need for shops up here to be open on Sundays. I think a lot more people would have more family time and be more relaxed if you didn't think there was a need to rush to the shops 24/7.

I'll leave you to debate this highly interesting topic in peace as I am off to enjoy my Sunday night.

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 20:03
Without reading the whole entire thread, there is one thing I've noticed from two of your threads with regards to the school and that is that you are getting the information from your kids. Could it be possible that your kids are providing you with misleading information? I don't know who is telling you these things about how badly the school is run but, apart from the school building, there is nothing else I could fault. I am sure the senior management team are not idiots as you referred to them in another thread- I am quite sure they would have been to university and achieved very high standards to have been appointed to run a school. I'm sure it would be much better to find out facts and in order to do this, you will have to speak to the school direct.

As discussed, I am in contact with one or two dedicated members of staff and I just don't believe everything my kids tell me. Have you read the inspectors report? (hint; go on hmie website for more detail.)
I have been in touch with the school (poor response.)
P.S. here are a few who also attended university; George W. Bush, Harold Shipman, Margaret Thatcher, Geoffrey Dahmer and oh yes--ME.

ShelleyCowie
18-Jan-09, 20:04
Your input was good. I totally agree with it and especially this part.

I agree too! ;):cool:

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 20:09
"Typical caithnesian attitude" Im sorry but i found that rather offensive yet again. :confused

Stop taking everything I say personally, I'm not trying to offend you, I'm only looking for some debate. If you don't want to debate with me, don't respond to my threads. Feeling better now?:~(

unicorn
18-Jan-09, 20:12
What an unbelievably dire attitude, discussion is all well and good but coming in pulling apart the school and anyone who does not agree with your narrow mindedness is not going to make things go your way no matter how hard you try.
Go to the school and offer your services to improve matters, that would be a far more positive input.

ShelleyCowie
18-Jan-09, 20:14
Stop taking everything I say personally, I'm not trying to offend you, I'm only looking for some debate. If you don't want to debate with me, don't respond to my threads. Feeling better now?:~(

Im not "taking it personally" Zeppellin! Its just the way that you are saying things are possibly coming across the wrong way then? I am all up for debate but not when i am being disrespected! I have been in alot of debates on the Org, but none have come across like this to me!

And with saying "Feeling better now?:~(" How do you expect me to take that!???? Sarcasm?! Maybe put yourself in someone else's perspective and read the posts you have made! See if u feel the same! Then get back to me! ;)

rfr10
18-Jan-09, 20:15
As discussed, I am in contact with one or two dedicated members of staff and I just don't believe everything my kids tell me. Have you read the inspectors report? (hint; go on hmie website for more detail.)
I have been in touch with the school (poor response.)
P.S. here are a few who also attended university; George W. Bush, Harold Shipman, Margaret Thatcher, Geoffrey Dahmer and oh yes--ME.

Well if you have been in contact with the school then why ask on here? I'm pretty sure you wont find the rector on here. What did the school say to you then? It evidently has not answered your question...

Yes I have read the inspectors report and although it is somewhat disappointing I think you will find the school has come along way from what it was like many years ago. If you would like to quote from the inspectors report information which reinforces your view that the school is run by idiots then I'd be more than happy to comment further.

Yes and these people who attended and graduated from University are also very clever people. Not everyone may agree with them and their opinions but they are obviously intelligent besides I'll tell you my self that the SMT of Wick High School are not idiots and know exactly how to run a school.

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 20:41
Well if you have been in contact with the school then why ask on here? I'm pretty sure you wont find the rector on here. What did the school say to you then? It evidently has not answered your question...

Yes I have read the inspectors report and although it is somewhat disappointing I think you will find the school has come along way from what it was like many years ago. If you would like to quote from the inspectors report information which reinforces your view that the school is run by idiots then I'd be more than happy to comment further.

Yes and these people who attended and graduated from University are also very clever people. Not everyone may agree with them and their opinions but they are obviously intelligent besides I'll tell you my self that the SMT of Wick High School are not idiots and know exactly how to run a school.

Are you also on the payroll? How about 38% of staff in the school disagree that there is strong leadership in the school and 12% strongly disagree that there is strong leadership in the school. That's 50% of the entire staff not just the teaching staff. How's that for starters?

rfr10
18-Jan-09, 20:51
Are you also on the payroll? How about 38% of staff in the school disagree that there is strong leadership in the school and 12% strongly disagree that there is strong leadership in the school. That's 50% of the entire staff not just the teaching staff. How's that for starters?

What you mean is 38% of the staff who received questionnaires and 50% of the total staff questioned, right?

telfordstar
18-Jan-09, 20:54

Maybe if you got of your high horse and did a little research you would know that infact he is a pupil in w.h. I have been reading this thread and you seem hell bent on causing trouble here on the org. Why? You say you want to debabte well by your posts its a good old fight your looking for.

cuthill
18-Jan-09, 20:59
I am elderly and have no children at Wick High School but if you hate Wick High School so much Zeppelin then move your children.You have posted 29 times on the org and 28 are slating the School

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 20:59
What you mean is 38% of the staff who received questionnaires and 50% of the total staff questioned, right?

Read the information first before you try to be clever. I have and have given you my interpretation of the results. Read the results of the staff questionairre, it's there in black and white. Incidentally, why do you think this wasn't highlighted in the document released to parents, 'cover-up'?

ShelleyCowie
18-Jan-09, 21:00
Read the information first before you try to be clever. I have and have given you my interpretation of the results. Read the results of the staff questionairre, it's there in black and white. Incidentally, why do you think this wasn't highlighted in the document released to parents, 'cover-up'?

Zeppellin this is a public post. It is a bit far to speak about a cover up dont u think? :confused

rfr10
18-Jan-09, 21:04

Yes I have read it and it is a selection of pupils, teachers and staff that were given the questionnaire to complete.

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 21:04
Zeppellin this is a public post. It is a bit far to speak about a cover up dont u think? :confused

Are you fiddling while Rome burns? and oh yes the Nazis didn't do it.!!!!!

Kirdon
18-Jan-09, 21:08
I am elderly and have no children at Wick High School but if you hate Wick High School so much Zeppelin then move your children.You have posted 29 times on the org and 28 are slating the School

Statistics that prove Zeppelin has a problem with Wick high. As stated if you or your kids don't like it Move.

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 21:09
Yes I have read it and it is a selection of pupils, teachers and staff that were given the questionnaire to complete.

All staff are required to be consulted during the inspection process and they do sample parent and pupil views. Every member of staff has the opportunity to have their say.

zeppellin
18-Jan-09, 21:10
statistics that prove zeppelin has a problem with wick high. As stated if you or your kids don't like it move.

duh!!!!!!!!!!

rfr10
18-Jan-09, 21:11
All staff are required to be consulted during the inspection process and they do sample parent and pupil views. Every member of staff has the opportunity to have their say.

But every member of staff evidently didn't give their views if you look at the number of questionnaires that were completed by staff. Even though, I still fail to see how you can back up your statement about the school being run by "idiots"

unicorn
18-Jan-09, 21:15
I assume then zepplin that you are at the forefront of trying to get a new school for wick and doing everything in your power to make it happen.......not just slating it publicly on the local forum????

telfordstar
18-Jan-09, 21:22
Statistics that prove Zeppelin has a problem with Wick high. As stated if you or your kids don't like it Move.

Couldnt of put it better myself. well said.

Camra
18-Jan-09, 21:26
This whole thread strikes me as being a storm in a teacup. I'm dismayed at how a such simple issue results in such bickering. Worse than schoolkids...... honestly !

celtic 302
18-Jan-09, 23:57
4 to 7.30 is not a good time for teachers really if you think about it. It would mean, that they had half an hour between the end of school, and the start of parents evening, and as a child of a teacher, we are rarely home before four, what with work having to be put away, and other stuff organised.

So what can they do in that half hour? Nothing.

It also means that they will have to wait until at least 8 o'clock (lets face it, these things are never done on time) until they can have any dinner. There last meal will have been at around 1 o'clock, the schools lunch time. That is just ridiculous.

If you think it through, moving it to 4 to 7 30 is simply ludicrous. It is fine the way it is, and in response to the very first poster, rather than going home for under two hours, why not stay in and have a drink and some dinner at weatherspoons or somewhere? It isn't that expensive, and would save the travelling. And if the travelling is that bad, don't attend. To be honest, what can you really learn in 5 minutes?

celtic 302
19-Jan-09, 00:00
That is why I never post long posts. By the time I'm finished they always seem out of place!

Kirdon
19-Jan-09, 00:01
duh!!!!!!!!!!

What an adult debate!

celtic 302
19-Jan-09, 00:02
What an adult debate!

Of course, what else?

Venture
19-Jan-09, 00:55

I'd say the only cover-up here is the one needed for your mouth considering the amount of insults you have dished out since coming on here.

Mind you I have to congratulate you on your username. A very fitting choice with the amount of "hot air" you're spouting.

Venture
19-Jan-09, 08:29

For those parents who perhaps have not seen the figures referred to above please follow the link below and click onto Additional Inspection Evidence in the middle of the page.

http://www.hmie.gov.uk/ViewEstablishment.aspx?id=6978&type=3

MadPict
19-Jan-09, 14:19
Are you fiddling while Rome burns? and oh yes the Nazis didn't do it.!!!!!

Ta Da!!!!

Godwin's Law strikes again![lol]

dirdyweeker
19-Jan-09, 17:55
I'd say the only cover-up here is the one needed for your mouth considering the amount of insults you have dished out since coming on here.

Mind you I have to congratulate you on your username. A very fitting choice with the amount of "hot air" you're spouting.

Love it!:lol: