PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear Laptop advice needed

Alice in Blunderland
16-Jan-09, 19:18
The kids have just had an accident with their laptop..............it landed on the floor.

When its turned on the screen is only visible in a small section the rest is all wavy and discoloured. Any advice is it worth trying to fix ? Can it be fixed ? or should I get another ?

I have no idea about computers and have been mega ripped of for repairs that couldnt be done before.

blueivy
16-Jan-09, 19:39
The kids have just had an accident with their laptop..............it landed on the floor.

When its turned on the screen is only visible in a small section the rest is all wavy and discoloured. Any advice is it worth trying to fix ? Can it be fixed ? or should I get another ?

I have no idea about computers and have been mega ripped of for repairs that couldnt be done before.

It sounds like the screen has broken inside. Cost for a new screen is likely to be between £100 and £200. Usual price is around £140.

If you give me the make and model of the laptop I can find the part and get you a more definite price. If you are familiar with a screwdriver and have some patience you should be able to do the work yourself.

Alice in Blunderland
16-Jan-09, 21:16
Thanks for that its my son who uses it most so he will definately be up to repair it as he enjoys that sort of thing.
I would like to keep the kids away from my OH and my laptops if possible. :lol:

Its a HP laptop product HPG700

I dont know if this is the number you are wanting as there are so many. :confused

Let me know if you want any other numbers.

Thanks for all your help I owe you. :D

blueivy
16-Jan-09, 21:19
Thanks for that its my son who uses it most so he will definately be up to repair it as he enjoys that sort of thing.
I would like to keep the kids away from my OH and my laptops if possible. :lol:

Its a HP laptop product HPG700

I dont know if this is the number you are wanting as there are so many. :confused

Let me know if you want any other numbers.

Thanks for all your help I owe you. :D

Hope I can help!

The model number will probably be a 4 digit number and maybe a letter. For example it might be an HP 3654G. On the bottom of the laptop should be a sticker with the make (HP), model, model number, serial number, part number etc. It's the model and model number I need.

Alice in Blunderland
16-Jan-09, 23:09
Hi OOps Im stupid it was [ product HP 70000 ] thats the number the other numbers next to a bar code are long

There seem to be numbers everywhere. This laptop is only six months old it was a cheap ( ish ) one bought for the kids.

Thanks for your patience. :)

bluenose
17-Jan-09, 19:25
Use an external monitor. Just plug it in, there is only one socket that is vaguely similar, and press F5. It is not exactly mobile any more but it depends what you want.

blueivy
20-Jan-09, 14:29
Hi OOps Im stupid it was [ product HP 70000 ] thats the number the other numbers next to a bar code are long

There seem to be numbers everywhere. This laptop is only six months old it was a cheap ( ish ) one bought for the kids.

Thanks for your patience. :)

Waiting on prices from suppliers - when it comes to parts they are usually a litlte longer than other hardware items as they don't always hold a stock of the item. When I hear back I'll get back to you.

I did find this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-15.4%22-HP-COMPAQ-nx7000-nx7010-nx7300-LCD-SCREEN_W0QQitemZ350154446335QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ2 0090117?IMSfp=TL090117119001r33783) on eBay for £79.00. Assuming it's the screen for your model (nx 7000 15.4" WXGA) then it looks like a good deal to me. There may be others available on eBay.

Alternatively, if you don't really need the built in screen of the laptop, follow bluenose's advice and just connect an external monitor. If you don't have one you can pick one up cheaper than a new laptop screen!

Alice in Blunderland
21-Jan-09, 08:54
Thanks for all your help the kids realised that they could hook it up to an external monitor :roll: more brains than mum. I would like to get the laptop repaired as it is handy for them to take to their rooms. :)

I did find another number on the laptop G7035EA maybe this is a help.