PDA

View Full Version : Watten

Valerie Campbell
12-Jan-09, 19:30
For those interested, I've uploaded another short film on Camp 165. The history of it seems to grow and grow and I just want to share it with Caithness folk. Just do a search for 'Camp 165 Watten' and it's called 'Life Behind Wire.'

sandyr
12-Jan-09, 23:20
Just checked on Camp 165 Watten and was unable to find 'Life behind the wire', BUT saw another area on the Royal Observer Corps.(ROC)
I was in the ROC from about 1959-64., (Just a young Kid!), the observation post being in Latheron just beside the Cemetery. Many a night was spent there with sandwiches and a flask of stewed tea!!!! It was quite a 'hole in ther gound'. Two rooms down a 15-20 ladder with a Bomb Power Indicator, a Fixed Survey Meter and a Ground Zero Indicator and we had to recognize all planes going overhead.......'Twas a wee bitty scary going there in the middle of the night so close to the cemetery, and then having to go up and change the photographic paper in the Ground Zero Indicator. But we had fun.
George Cunningham from Dunbeath was the 'Team Leader' And I think Frazer Gunn from Lybster was also there.
Anyone else remember the Good Olde Days????

jimag
12-Jan-09, 23:30
Hi, my old man used to be in the ROC at Latheron. I was too young to remember any other names but do remember George. My dad would have small cards with pictures of aircraft which I would pay with. Great fun and memories.

sandyr
13-Jan-09, 01:05
Hi,
No I am not an old man!!! Haha.......
Maybe his name. We were very well trained by George. And as we got older other social training was held!!!!
Yes ,the cards with the planes and silhouettes and let me tell you it was quite serious. The Cold War and the Russians.....and it was very cold at the Cemetery and down in the bunker.....but we managed to avoid a war...Can you imagine/////all done at the Latheron Cemetery!