PDA

View Full Version : Smew?

Kenn
10-Jan-09, 18:25
I notice that these are marked as passage birds through the area in winter.
Unfortunately I don't have a good enough camera to get a decent shot but from the markings I am 95% sure there has been a male in the very distinct winter plumage diving Scrabster Harbour the last two days.
Will some one please put me out of my misery and tell me that it could be a definite possiblity?

nirofo
10-Jan-09, 20:55
I notice that these are marked as passage birds through the area in winter.
Unfortunately I don't have a good enough camera to get a decent shot but from the markings I am 95% sure there has been a male in the very distinct winter plumage diving Scrabster Harbour the last two days.
Will some one please put me out of my misery and tell me that it could be a definite possiblity?

Hi LIZZ

Is this the bird you saw down at Thurso Harbour, there's been a female Goosander around for several days.

Goosander female.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/Birds/Goosanderfemale.jpg

nirofo.

Kenn
10-Jan-09, 21:32
Lovely shot but definitely not a goosander.

kas
10-Jan-09, 21:42
I was round the Harbour today and never saw anything. Only black and white bird was a winter plumage Black Guillemot.

Nirofo, there are 2 Females and I first saw them on Christmas eve. I saw both today one opposite the Legion, the other further up between the road and swimming pool bridge. My shots are no way near as yours.

nirofo
10-Jan-09, 21:44
Lovely shot but definitely not a goosander.

Hi LIZZ

If it is a Smew that's a very good record for Caithness.

nirofo.

nirofo
10-Jan-09, 21:53
I was round the Harbour today and never saw anything. Only black and white bird was a winter plumage Black Guillemot.

Nirofo, there are 2 Females and I first saw them on Christmas eve. I saw both today one opposite the Legion, the other further up between the road and swimming pool bridge. My shots are no way near as yours.

Hi Kas

Caithness seems to be doing well for Goosander at the moment, I must have seen at least 5 separate birds, (all females) in various places this week. If the 2 birds you've seen are not just moving up and down the river and are separate birds and the Smew LIZZ has seen is a definate, then we seem to have had an influx of Sawbills from somewhere.

nirofo.

Kenn
10-Jan-09, 22:25
Nope not a Guillemot either kas.
What made me think Smew was the very distinctive diagonal black stripe from the rear of the neck and a verticle one that made almost a triangle of white, it also had broad white bands on the wings separated by another black stripe with greyer plumage below and two black marks to the head.It was also alot smaller than the other species mentioned.
Saw if briefly late this afternoon in the outer harbour by the fish mart, both times it dived very quickly and then the light faded and did not get another sighting.
Does n't bird watching make you tear your hair out at times, even if you manage to get the camera in focus they dive,fly or present their rumps!

nirofo
10-Jan-09, 22:29
Hi LIZZ

Did you manage to get a photo at all, even a poor one might help.

nirofo.

kas
11-Jan-09, 00:04
It is very possible of Smew moving through. Birdwatching magazine has them on page three this month as one of the birds on the move, continental birds sometimes pop over to avoid the cold snap. Is it cold on the continent right now?

16 Pintail on Loch of Mey a few days ago, Orkney also had 12 at the Bay of Isbister, and another pair on a nearby loch (could be the same birds?) 79 Megansers were also in the same bay in Orkney and I have seen a good few around the coast this last fortnight.

Interesting. I will check the harbour out tomorrow but it will probably have moved on. I have only seen Smew once when a pair stayed overnight at St Johns pool in 2005. I think you should stay up your extra eyes would be great for finding more good birds.

Kenn
11-Jan-09, 00:09
Sorry no, did try and will have another look weather permitting.
Unfortunately the zoom on my camera just is n't up to it although I do have a pair of good binoculars and both myself and the OH will call markings and distinguishing features to each other so that we have a double take on the matter.
Just a thought in view of the much colder weather in the south, could it be that winter migratory birds have relied on their instincts and not gone to their usual places?

kas
11-Jan-09, 00:35
Dont know about where it would have come from but you sound as if you are pretty certain, I just hope it sticks around as I would be thrilled to see one again, and if it were to venture just outside the harbour I may see it from the house which would be a new bird to my house list (birds I can see from my home or garden.)

Aaldtimer
11-Jan-09, 04:12
Nope not a Guillemot either kas.
What made me think Smew was the very distinctive diagonal black stripe from the rear of the neck and a verticle one that made almost a triangle of white, it also had broad white bands on the wings separated by another black stripe with greyer plumage below and two black marks to the head.It was also alot smaller than the other species mentioned.
Saw if briefly late this afternoon in the outer harbour by the fish mart, both times it dived very quickly and then the light faded and did not get another sighting.
Does n't bird watching make you tear your hair out at times, even if you manage to get the camera in focus they dive,fly or present their rumps!

Yup, looking in my Readers Digest book your description is pretty much like you have it Lizz.
Very unusual this far north though, they usually are found in the Thames estuary at this time of year, but as has been said, it's been so cold down there the last few days maybe they are choosing the warmer option!:)

Kenn
11-Jan-09, 19:23
Went for another look today and not so much as a feather GRRRRRRR

the_count
12-Jan-09, 19:21
just wondering lizz, the black guilimot is very white in winter and could easily get mistaken for something like a male smew from a distance, sorry its not perfect but it will give you an idea:roll:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll318/countlicker/birds/winterplumage.jpg

Kenn
12-Jan-09, 21:33
Thanks the count but if you check out my discription you will see that it could n't be the guillemot although I did ask for recognition of the bird you have posted a picture of in another thread.
We get smews down south in winter which was why I queried it as was most surprised to see one here in the far north.

the_count
13-Jan-09, 19:02
i know there were a few spotted last winter (2 at st johns pool and another out near lybster so they do get up here but are quite a rarity :D

Mystical Potato Head
13-Jan-09, 23:37
Lizz,there is Male Smew on a loch in Orkney just now.So they are definately up here.
Brother has a really good picture of one from a trip to Finland.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86712273@N00/3165788315/

Kenn
14-Jan-09, 00:36
Whew MPH you have just confirmed what we saw.....makes for some sort of record me an OH agreeing about something!

Mystical Potato Head
14-Jan-09, 02:07
Whew MPH you have just confirmed what we saw.....makes for some sort of record me an OH agreeing about something!

Shoudn't that be Smew MPH?:lol: