PDA

View Full Version : How would you cope

connieb19
02-Feb-06, 19:47
How would you cope if you had to do without your computer for a whole week????:roll:

erli
02-Feb-06, 20:01
I would probably spend my week in the Library using theirs.

wickerinca
02-Feb-06, 20:05
Where is the nearest internet cafe? Panic....I would use the library but don't think that they serve tea!!:grin: Hope that the cafe is open 24 hrs!!

kas
02-Feb-06, 20:09
But imagine we had no power for a week, then what would you do?

obiron
02-Feb-06, 20:09
easy enough i think. we just got ours and are still trying to figure it out. would go back to library.

wickerinca
02-Feb-06, 20:14
But imagine we had no power for a week, then what would you do?

Thinking about it......mmmm!1???? Lots of reading by candlelight so that I would be more informed when debating on this forum!!! How does that sound!!??:D

badger
02-Feb-06, 20:57
Doesn't bear thinking about - I'd be lost. Too far from library and shops - what to do? Actually have to admit I'd probably do all the things I keep putting off - finish knitting that thing I started 2 years ago, sort out the suitcase full of old papers, tidy the loft, might even do some gardening. Or would I? Is being online just an excuse? Hmmm.

paris
02-Feb-06, 21:07
I did have to do without mine for 2 weeks, i was devastated. went and brought a new one at Xmas but have no sound and should have, man coming from Curry's in 15 Min's time to sort it out.

connieb19
02-Feb-06, 21:13
I did have to do without mine for 2 weeks, i was devastated. went and brought a new one at Xmas but have no sound and should have, man coming from Curry's in 15 Min's time to sort it out.:eek: 2 weeks...how did you survive it?????:roll:

Alice in Blunderland
02-Feb-06, 21:36
No chasing the kids of MSN so I can get on to Caithness.org.

spiggie
02-Feb-06, 22:13
i think that i could cope alright without the comptuer 4 a whole week but if you were to take my mobile phone from me 4 a week, well!! that would be the end of the world!! lol :)

Cedric Farthsbottom III
02-Feb-06, 22:21
Could last without the computer,but losing ma sketchpad and pencils.......now thats different.

Whitewater
02-Feb-06, 22:54
I would probably be OK without it. In fact, I'm sure that Mrs. Whitewater would be more than pleased she thinks I spend far too long on it.

landmarker
02-Feb-06, 23:13
I'd just do something else.
I managed without it 'til '97 &
could do so again, at least for a week ;-)

angela5
02-Feb-06, 23:45
I would just have to sit in the cafe net all week and ask the man that runs it to extend his opening hours[lol]

Fran
03-Feb-06, 00:18
I have just been without mine for a week, and no tv, it was awful. i think hospitals should have a computer on the wards. it was quite "lonely" and i was wondering what i was missing. but got home today and straight on to caithness Org!!!!

connieb19
03-Feb-06, 00:20
I have just been without mine for a week, and no tv, it was awful. i think hospitals should have a computer on the wards. it was quite "lonely" and i was wondering what i was missing. but got home today and straight on to caithness Org!!!!Welcome back Fran...you must of been FRANtic...lol:)

angela5
03-Feb-06, 00:21
I have just been without mine for a week, and no tv, it was awful. i think hospitals should have a computer on the wards. it was quite "lonely" and i was wondering what i was missing. but got home today and straight on to caithness Org!!!!

you should of sneaked to the nurses room and had a quick peek on their computers:grin: ..good to see you back.

EDDIE
03-Feb-06, 00:49
How would you cope if you had to do without your computer for a whole week????:roll:
Dont u dare tempt fate lol.

krieve
03-Feb-06, 08:55
I could'nt couple i was with out it yesterday and man it was hard going lol.

angela5
03-Feb-06, 09:13
I use the computer for work so not having it for a week would be enjoyable, i would be able to give my eyes a rest.

paris
03-Feb-06, 09:23
I did have to do without mine for 2 weeks, i was devastated. went and brought a new one at Xmas but have no sound and should have, man coming from Curry's in 15 Min's time to sort it out.

He didnt turn up so still havent got sound Grrrrrrrr. Thats it im on the war path now, back to currys to say my bit.

Saveman
03-Feb-06, 11:11
I wouldn't earn any money without a computer. If I didn't have my home computer for a whole week......I'd probably get a lot more done in the house! :)

cuddlepop
03-Feb-06, 14:44
When I got together with the other half I couldnt see what the fasination was.He seemed to be on it most nights just surfing.We have a race now after tea to see who can log on first!
He.s away all weekend,so its all mine......:lol:

DrSzin
04-Feb-06, 03:00
I have just been without mine for a week, and no tv, it was awful. i think hospitals should have a computer on the wards. it was quite "lonely" and i was wondering what i was missing. but got home today and straight on to caithness Org!!!!The new Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh has a combined phone, tv and internet connection at every bed, but you have to pay for it. I forget the cost, but £3 a day comes to mind for no good reason. I would guess it's more than that.

Don't ask how much it costs to park there -- it probably makes their internet access seem stupidly cheap.

Fran
04-Feb-06, 03:16
Yes, the tv,internet and phone for each hospital bed is a great idea. they have it in raigmore too. wish they had had it in wick, but it is coming to wick soon. the Renal unit have them but not with phone aND INTERNET. it would have been so handy to make phone calls as I went in hospital very unexpectedly.

willowbankbear
04-Feb-06, 03:23
Weve just purchased a lap top so when all the errors & viruses take control we`ll definately have a week off.
Doesnt do any harm to you to not use it though!

Anyone else got a stalker???
I have and it makes me sick . coz she`s a nut job
[evil] [evil] [evil]

JAWS
04-Feb-06, 03:25
The new Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh has a combined phone, tv and internet connection at every bed, but you have to pay for it. I forget the cost, but £3 a day comes to mind for no good reason. I would guess it's more than that.

Don't ask how much it costs to park there -- it probably makes their internet access seem stupidly cheap.
The new phone etc. by the bed is nothing more than a money making racket. They are provided by an outside Company who obviously pay the NHS a lot of money for the privilege and recoup that money from patients and relatives. I don't know how much is charged to ring out from the bed but if Hospitals in England are anything to go by then phoning a sick relative on the bedside phone will cost you 50p a minute.
A ten minute phone call costs £5 which might not sound a lot to phone somebody who is sick bur what if they are hospitalise for a few weeks?
Five pounds a day for 14 days is 70 pounds and if they need some emotional support and need a good chat to keep their spirits up you can well imagine how your phone bill can easily reach astronomical proportions.
I know it's not strictly concerned with the question posed but as far as I know, Raigmore are going to or already have introduced the system.

To answer the question posed, me? Without a computer? What a silly question!
I believe padded cells can be quite cosy but the straight jackets are a bit of a problem!

DrSzin
04-Feb-06, 03:28
The ban on mobiles in hospitals drives me nuts. AFAIK there is no evidence whatsoever that they affect any equipment. I've never really looked into it so I might be wrong. But I doubt it...

JAWS, you're right, phoning from the Infirmary in Edinburgh is ludicrously expensive. In fact, I think you might have to pay for incoming calls too, but I'm not sure about that.

teddybear1873
04-Feb-06, 03:30
What i want to know is how would everyone cope if .org was closed down for lets say 1 month or even closed for good?....How much would you really miss it ?

Sporran
04-Feb-06, 03:42
I'd miss the org. terribly, if it was closed down, teddybear. I'm sure most of us would feel the same way!

JAWS
04-Feb-06, 05:19
The ban on mobiles in hospitals drives me nuts. AFAIK there is no evidence whatsoever that they affect any equipment. I've never really looked into it so I might be wrong. But I doubt it...

JAWS, you're right, phoning from the Infirmary in Edinburgh is ludicrously expensive. In fact, I think you might have to pay for incoming calls too, but I'm not sure about that.
As far as I can tell the ban on Mobile Phones is overkill. All the Doctors carry bleepers which, as far as I know, work on the same principle.
During the last twelve months or so at one of the National Meeting held by Doctors on actually said it was mainly nonsense and nobody seemed to voice a disagreement with him. I am also reliably informed that Doctors themselves are prone to using Mobiles within hospitals.
I certainly have never heard of anybody dying because somebody had used a mobile phone in hospital and if anybody had I'm sure we would all have heard about it! That alone I would suggest proves your point Dr.S.
I would imagine some of the equipment in Intensive Care might a bit sensitive.
A relative of mine is attached to a piece of medical equipment mobiles are supposed to interfere with. Over ten years and counting and still no sign of a problem and she loves her mobile phone.
I will add the usual rider about such information, "But, of course, I can't give assurances for long term use over a lifetime!"
If we took that attitude with everything new then we might just have got round to using the wheel.

connieb19
04-Feb-06, 12:06
Weve just purchased a lap top so when all the errors & viruses take control we`ll definately have a week off.
Doesnt do any harm to you to not use it though!

Anyone else got a stalker???
I have and it makes me sick . coz she`s a nut job
[evil] [evil] [evil]Stalker, you know how you get rid of them..lol[evil]

rich62_uk
04-Feb-06, 12:07
The other "Urban Myth" this puts me in mind of is the one about mobile phones at petrol stations. When mobiles where first becoming popular ( i carried my brick with pride) i remember people actively ducking for for cover at the sight of a mobile phone at the local filling station. Has anybody ever heard of an exploding petrol station due to a mobile phone?????

As to being without my computer for any period of time i tend to agree with Jaws on the consequences, however rather than a straight jacket i would lean toward heavy medication as i must admit i enjoy alot of the side effects.

Rich...

Niall Fernie
04-Feb-06, 12:51
What i want to know is how would everyone cope if .org was closed down for lets say 1 month or even closed for good?....

Now would seem like a good time to mention our new opening hours.

To bring ourselves into line with local opening hours Caithness.Org will now only be available during the following hours:

Monday to Friday - 10:00am to 12:30pm then from 1:30 to 5:00pm

Wednesday - We'll close at 12:00pm for an afternoon jolly. (to suit Wick)

Thursday - We'll close at 12:00pm for an afternoon jolly. (to suit Thurso)

We will also open on every second or third Saturday morning but we won't tell you which.

As for Sundays, well, what do you think?

So remember, don't phone us or e-mail us outwith these hours or you will receive a message saying:

"Sorry (not) we are closed, we don't want you to visit our site so we're making it more difficult for you to get here. If we find that you are using our site during opening hours we will do our best to make you feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. We probably don't have any information you would like and even if we did, we would do our best to hide it from you anyway. Why don't you try next year when we'll probably be out-of-business"

Expect to see us in the press soon fighting against anyone who dares to launch a new website in the county. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to run them out of the county just before we close for good. Oh yes, and get your credit cards out as we're going to be charging a subscription to those who actually want to read anything on the site.

OK, I'm joking :)

Guess who's going to be installing a new hard drive this weekend :eek:

I've got multiple backup syndrome already and really hate doing this so I could well be without a PC next week and the garden could have a new ornament....

connieb19
04-Feb-06, 12:52
Nice one Niall...lol:lol: :lol:

krieve
04-Feb-06, 13:11
Lol good one niall lol

Tugmistress
04-Feb-06, 13:35
LOL
Niall that was excellent reading :D :D
and as for being without a computer for a week, I think i would be having severe withdrawal symptoms !!!

DrSzin
04-Feb-06, 13:52
JAWS, you're right, phoning from the Infirmary in Edinburgh is ludicrously expensive. In fact, I think you might have to pay for incoming calls too, but I'm not sure about that.Ok, so I'm replying to my own post, but only to provide some info.

The following excerpt (http://news.scotsman.com/health.cfm?id=70392006) is from the Scotsman.

Eight hospitals in Scotland have a system installed which is run by the Patientline firm: Crosshouse Hospital in Kilmarnock, Ayr Hospital, Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Monklands hospital in Airdrie, Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, Raigmore Hospital in Inverness and Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

The firm charges £3.50 a day for watching television, although under-16s get free access, while it is half price for OAPs and long-stay patients. Patients can use the phone for the same cost as a payphone but incoming calls are 39p per minute off peak or 49p per minute at peak times. Phoning Australia from home during the day costs just under 22p a minute.

A spokesman for Patientline said costs were kept as low as possible.

An adult patient at the ERI who chose to sign up for Patientline would pay £3.50 a day for television. Two daily visits from close family members would add £4.40 in parking fees - assuming they took full advantage of visiting time and spent an hour at the bedside on each visit. That adds up to £7.90 a day, or £55.30 a week, without phone calls.

Tymey
04-Feb-06, 14:03
However.....if you have a room of your own, as my wife did last week in Raigmore, you get your own telly which you don't have to pay for.

The £3.50 charge can go up to £10 for a whole range of Internet and email services.

DrSzin
04-Feb-06, 14:16
The £3.50 charge can go up to £10 for a whole range of Internet and email services.Thanks Tymey. I vaguely recall there being extra charges when my father-in-law was in the ERI a couple of years ago, but I couldn't find details on the web. He's not into email or the net so he didn't moan about the cost.

DrSzin
04-Feb-06, 14:23
The other "Urban Myth" this puts me in mind of is the one about mobile phones at petrol stations. When mobiles where first becoming popular ( i carried my brick with pride) i remember people actively ducking for for cover at the sight of a mobile phone at the local filling station. Has anybody ever heard of an exploding petrol station due to a mobile phone?????Not I.

I read recently that the ban on using mobiles in planes might be lifted soon. The article said that their use would still be disallowed during take-off and landing but that they would be permitted once the plane was in the air: the connection would be provided by the airline -- as a nice little money spinner, no doubt.

scotsboy
04-Feb-06, 14:51
Was the use of mobile phones in pertol stations not "banned" becuase the signal interfered with the pump? i.e. screwed it up so the filing stationmay loose some money by not charging you the required amount for the fuel they had supplied........or is that another myth.

connieb19
04-Feb-06, 15:02
Was the use of mobile phones in pertol stations not "banned" becuase the signal interfered with the pump? i.e. screwed it up so the filing stationmay loose some money by not charging you the required amount for the fuel they had supplied........or is that another myth.Im glad if that's the reason..here's me been believing all this time that if my phone rang at the petrol station it might blow the whole place up...lol[para]

cuddlepop
04-Feb-06, 15:58
I didnt know that either and always thought it was for saftey reasons too!:grin:

DrSzin
04-Feb-06, 17:29
There are lots of articles on the petrol station "urban myths" out there. They're all much the same. One of the better ones is here (http://www.nu-riskservices.co.uk/news/articles/cms/1111515264212694732247_1.htm).

badger
04-Feb-06, 19:40
Only just logged on today so apologies if this is now slightly off thread but, Niall - did you forget those lovely holiday Mondays in Wick and Thurso? I've never yet worked out how often they occur but you missed giving yourself a long weekend.