PDA

View Full Version : Unesco World Heritage sites

Valerie Campbell
07-Jan-09, 11:05
The Department of Culture, Media an Sports are looking for suggestions for WH sites in Scotland and among the candidates to be put forward is the Flow Country. The consultation runs until 25th February and I for one will be throwing my tuppence worth behind the Caithness site. Just go to www.culture.gov.uk and follow the links.

theone
07-Jan-09, 13:52
Not meaning to sound ignorant but are heritage sights not more usually buildings, standing stones etc. Man made types.

The flow country is obviously valuable but I'd have thought better suited to nature reserve type status?

Valerie Campbell
08-Jan-09, 12:39
I thought that as well until I had a look at the site. I remembered Edinburgh had World Heritage status and thought it was a wee bit odd the Flow Country was on the list, but there you go. Who are we mere mortals to argue with those in the know...? I just think it would be really good for the county.

golach
08-Jan-09, 12:44
I thought that as well until I had a look at the site. I remembered Edinburgh had World Heritage status and thought it was a wee bit odd the Flow Country was on the list, but there you go. Who are we mere mortals to argue with those in the know...? I just think it would be really good for the county.
Valerie, sadly Auld Reekie, may be about to lose its World Heritage status, our City Fathers are granting permission to too many modern style buildings to be built in both the Old and New Towns [disgust]