PDA

View Full Version : PC not starting up

squashed frog
05-Jan-09, 17:22
My sisters pc ain't starting up. When powering up the Microsoft XP window appears then screen goes blank, then it goes to blank screen with cursor. The screen then appears with safe mode/last known config/start windows normally. None of the options are leading to the machine starting properly.

Any help greatly appreciated.

blueivy
05-Jan-09, 18:07
My sisters pc ain't starting up. When powering up the Microsoft XP window appears then screen goes blank, then it goes to blank screen with cursor. The screen then appears with safe mode/last known config/start windows normally. None of the options are leading to the machine starting properly.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Are you able to get in to safe mode? If not, can you note the last line on the screen that appears (will say something like C:\WINDOWS\....) before it reboots?

Also try removing all of the connected devices (printers, external hard drives, scanners etc.) and try starting again.

Any software installed recently or any new hardware installed?

Bobinovich
05-Jan-09, 20:54
Does the screen flick blue quickly before the PC restarts? If so you may be able to run the XP repair facility on the CD as per instructions here (http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=284639&postcount=2).

lynne duncan
06-Jan-09, 15:34
thanks for the advice, am reading this from my brother's comp will go home and try this, hopefully (crossing fingers) it will work