PDA

View Full Version : Container Rose

porshiepoo
05-Jan-09, 00:22
I have a container Rose that I put into my unheated greenhouse a few weeks back when the snow hit and so far it hasn't dropped any leaves at all. In fact it's already sprouting new growth and has only just finished flowering.
Has anyone else had this happen? Is it usual for container Roses to not drop leaves and not die back during winter? Would I be better off putting it back outside and forcing it to die back?
Never had this happen before so I'm not sure what to do, it usually flowers so well all summer and I'd hate to think that not having a natural winter sleep will in any way affect it's summer show.

Bonnie Parker-Duke
05-Jan-09, 03:43
I'm from California where, in even a cold winter that goes below freezing, many roses do not drop their leaves and even bloom through Christmas outside! I would not be too concerned about it. In spring, after the threat of freezes have passed, fertilise well, and they should be fine. Be sure to deadhead as the roses die...that is cut off the spent blossoms. If the bushes require cutting back, do it about February...shape them...but do not cut too much wood off.

I hope this has been of assistance.