PDA

View Full Version : Sevens Sisters

Mystical Potato Head
03-Jan-09, 02:43
This is one of the Seven Sisters(M45) with my new light pollution filter
which works a treat.Managed to keep all the faint detail instead of losing most of it trying to get rid of the LP.
20X210sec exposures with mathching darks.ISO800.
The nebula clouds have shown up really well.A good investment i think.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/sat5_photos/M45_filtered-1.jpg

brandy
04-Jan-09, 14:41
oh wow that is just wow! beautiful! thanks for sharing!

wifie
04-Jan-09, 15:14
Stunning MPH - thanks for sharing!

kas
04-Jan-09, 22:27
I can only echo wifies comment stunning.
Now which are the actual seven stars or is it just the group name, I quite often look up to it.

Mystical Potato Head
04-Jan-09, 23:23
Its called the seven sisters because ppl with good eyesight can see seven stars with the naked eye.There is actually about 500.The brightest stars of the group are "hot blue" stars and the blue light they emit shines on the stellar dust cloud that by chance happens to be there,causing the blue reflection nebula.
The Ancient Aztecs believed that the seven sisters would be overhead at midnight when the world ends.Cheery bunch:lol:

kas
04-Jan-09, 23:31
Cheers and very interesting. I used to go out and try to learn a bit about the night sky but I have not done this for a few years, this now renews my interest. I tried to get a look at the events advertised on the front page but my PC is not wanting to play with the Adobe reader.

Thanks again.

shazzap
04-Jan-09, 23:40
All i can say is WOW

astroman
05-Jan-09, 11:25
Cheers and very interesting. I used to go out and try to learn a bit about the night sky but I have not done this for a few years, this now renews my interest. I tried to get a look at the events advertised on the front page but my PC is not wanting to play with the Adobe reader.

Thanks again.

Here's the programme of events viewable through the file you couldn't get to open:

International Year of Astronomy:
Caithness and Northern Sutherland Events

FREE ENTRY
ALL WELCOME

Come along and learn about the Night Sky and the Universe we live in

Astronomy Talks
Observing Sessions
Hands-on Activities
See Genuine Moon Rocks & Meteorites
Gallery Events
Competitions
Something for Everyone!

Programme of Events

Dark Evening Observing Events
Date/Time & Venue
1900hrs, Friday 30th January '09 - Wick Scout Hall (observing at Riverside Park)
1900hrs, Friday 27th February '09 - Castletown Heritage Centre
1930hrs, Friday 18th September '09 - Borgie Forest Community Centre
1900hrs, Friday 20th November '09 - Thurso High School
2000hrs, Sunday 13th December '09 - Castletown Heritage Centre (Meteor Watch and IYA2009 end of year event)

Evenings will consist of an astronomy talk, outdoor observing through telescopes (weather permitting) and other astronomy related content.

Spring MoonWatch Events
Date/Time & Venue
1830-2130hrs, Thursday 2nd April '09 - Borgie Forest Community Centre
1830-2130hrs, Friday 3rd April '09 - Wick Scout Hall (observing at Riverside Park)
1400-1600hrs and 1830-2130hrs Saturday 4th April '09 - Thurso High School

Events will consist of astronomy talks (commencing 1915hrs), outdoor observing through telescopes (weather permitting), interactive workshops/exhibits and displays of astronomical material including genuine Moon Rocks and Meteorites.

Summer Events

Exhibition of Astroart/ Astrophotography Competition Entries - Caithness Horizons 1st to 19th July
Astronomy Fun Day - TBC

Autumn MoonWatch Events
Date/Time & Venue
1830-2130hrs, Wed 28th October '09 - Wick Scout Hall (observing at Riverside Park)
1830-2130hrs, Thur 29th October '09 - Borgie Forest Community Centre
1830-2130hrs, Fri 30th October '09 - Thurso High School

Events will consist of astronomy talks (commencing 1915hrs), outdoor observing through telescopes (weather permitting), interactive workshops/exhibits and displays of astronomical material including genuine Moon Rocks and Meteorites.

Note: Outdoor observing is weather permitting. Dates, venues and content are subject to change.

astroman
05-Jan-09, 12:08
Great photo MPH - looks like the new filter is working a treat :D

kas
05-Jan-09, 20:20
Astroman you are a star!!!

I hope to get to most of these events as I would love to learn about the night sky.