PDA

View Full Version : Thurso-Miller/Nicol/Swanson/Murray/Campbell

kristy_mac8
02-Jan-09, 12:15
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and am so happy to have found it.

My Caithness ancestors were, as far as I know, all from the Thurso area.
Donald MILLER would have probably been born in the 1760s, but I have the problem of too many baptism possibilities, and everyone in that area using the same family names. The name John MILLER has come up a few times in the baptism records of some of his children, so perhaps he was a brother, I'll have to see if I can find a match. He was a Shipmaster, and owned several boats, and apparently everyone and his dog in Thurso was in debt to Donald, according to his will (I started another thread dealing with the will, as it names many Thurso residents, and may help people researching other families). I'm wondering what kind of shipping records and similar are available for Thurso? I would be willing to buy books if anyone knows of any that may help. It seems like there should be something out there about him.

Donald was married to Esther NICOL, who I believe was born in 1767, in Thurso, to Donald NICOL and Elspet SWANSON. Donald and Elspet (who I can't find a marriage for) appear to have also had:
NICOL-Margaret in 1762; Andrew in 1764; followed by my Esther in 1767, Christian in 1770, John in 1771, and Donald in 1772.

Again, as with Donald MILLER, there are several baptism possibilities for Donald and Elspeth, so that's kind of a dead end at the moment.

Donald MILLER and Esther NICOL married in 1788 in Thurso, and had the following children:
John in 1790, Donald in 1793, William in 1799, Elizabeth in 1803, and Margaret in 1807.

Elizabeth MILLER married James RITCHIE, who was born in Pitsligo, Aberdeen, and was a shipmaster like Donald. And trying to sort of the RITCHIEs of that area, all of whom were seafarers and named James and Alexander, make my Thurso people seem less complicated :)

Most of their children were born in Thurso, the last couple were born in Rosehearty, Aberdeen.

One of their children, Donald Miller RITCHIE, born 1839 in Thurso, married Christian ROBERTSON in 1875 in Edinburgh. They, along with several other RITCHIEs, moved to New Zealand.

Christian ROBERTSON, b.1846 in Old Deer, Aberdeen, was the daughter of Thomas ROBERTSON of Peterhead, Aberdeen, and Ann MURRAY, b.1806 in Thurso. There's that Thurso connection again.

Ann MURRAY was the daughter of Peter MURRAY and Margaret CAMPBELL. Peter and Margaret's other children, all born in Thurso, were: James b.1808, Elizabeth b.1811, Janet b.1813, and Margaret b.1815.

If this sounds familiar to anyone, I would love to hear from you.

Kristy

Pompeygirl
03-Jan-09, 22:56
Hello Kristy,

Although I don't know about shipping records for Thurso, the online catalogue for the National Archives of Scotland has at least 2 documents which refer to Donald
http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

CC4/10/3 (http://195.153.34.9/onlinecatalogue/details.aspx?reference=CC4%2f10%2f3&st=1&tc=y&tl=n&tn=y&tp=y&k=donald+miller+thurso&ko=a&r=&ro=m&df=&dt=&di=y)Extract commission by commissary of Caithness to Edinburgh JPs to take oath of Jane, Countess Dowager of Caithness, concerning the inventory of the moveable estate and effects of James, Earl of Caithness, who died 26 July 1823. Annotated with pencil draft commission to Caithness JPs concerning petition by relict of Donald Miller, shipmaster in Thurso, who is unable to travel to Wick to take the oath, June 1833 26 Nov 1827
GD9/312 (http://195.153.34.9/onlinecatalogue/details.aspx?reference=GD9%2f312&st=1&tc=y&tl=n&tn=y&tp=y&k=donald+miller+thurso&ko=a&r=&ro=m&df=&dt=&di=y)1. Resolution of the magistrates of Thurso proposing to establish the deep sea herring fishing on the northern coast of Caithness. 2-4. Statements of evidence thereanent (laid before the magistrates) by Donald Miller, master of the sloop "Alexander" of Thurso, William Swanson, fisher in Thurso, and John Lewis from London, employed in the Herring Fishing at Wick. 21 Aug 1809

Hope that gives you some new leads.

kristy_mac8
04-Jan-09, 00:57
Thank you so much for that information, Pompeygirl. It's great to find bits of information like this to help piece together his life.

Cheers,
Kristy

kristy_mac8
23-Jan-09, 01:21
I've traced the family of Donald MILLER's eldest son, John:

On 06 April 1816, in Thurso, he married Dorothea/Dorothy BRUCE (I believe born 1793 in Thurso, daughter of George BRUCE and Margaret MILLER; Dorothy's siblings include Ann b.1791 in Thurso, and James, b.1795 in Thurso).

Their children (that I know of):
1/F Margaret MILLER 1817-1828, buried in Thurso with Donald MILLER & co.
2/F Esther MILLER

Esther was born c.1819, and married William THOMPSON c.1840, presumably in Thurso. William was a fisherman, born c.1818 in REAY, the son of William THOMPSON, also a fisherman, and Margaret FRASER.

They stayed in Thurso, living in Shore Street, and both lived into their eighties; Esther died in 1903, William died in 1904. I have their death certificates if anyone would like a copy.

Their children:

1/F Dorothy THOMPSON b.1841
2/M William THOMPSON b.1844
3/F Esther THOMPSON b.1848
4/M James THOMPSON b.1851
5/M Donald THOMPSON b.1854
6/F Margaret THOMPSON b.1856
7/M Charles THOMPSON b.1859

I would love to hear from any descendants of this branch of the family.

Kristy

kristy_mac8
01-Feb-09, 01:39
I have a website now, where you can view the tree that includes the Millers and co. , at http://ritchiemiller.tribalpages.com/

Kristy

Bigyin
18-Aug-10, 20:37
Hello Kirsty

Dorothy Thompson born 1841 was my great granny married to William Manson:roll::lol:[lol]