PDA

View Full Version : Internet Security

Jackpot
30-Dec-08, 11:20
I am using AVG 8.0 (not the free version) at the moment but it is soon due to expire. Anyone got any suggestions as to what I could get? Preferably not Norton as I found it more trouble than it was worth!

Also I have the free version of AVG 8.0 on the old tower and it needs renewing, anyone know if AVG are doing another free version of something?

Ta!

blueivy
30-Dec-08, 11:34
I am using AVG 8.0 (not the free version) at the moment but it is soon due to expire. Anyone got any suggestions as to what I could get? Preferably not Norton as I found it more trouble than it was worth!

Also I have the free version of AVG 8.0 on the old tower and it needs renewing, anyone know if AVG are doing another free version of something?

Ta!

See this thread (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=63079), this thread (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=55328), and this thread (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=52930) (which also gives you details of the free AVG version you are looking for).There will be other threads to which relate to it as it's an often asked question in here.

EDDIE
30-Dec-08, 13:56
i bought norton 360 when i got the laptop and i quite like it never had any problemss with it has the antivirus and spyware all in one plus other things it cleans ure register files as well older versions of nortons didnt do that but if i didnt buy this one i was going to try windows defender.

blueivy
30-Dec-08, 14:38
i bought norton 360 when i got the laptop and i quite like it never had any problemss with it has the antivirus and spyware all in one plus other things it cleans ure register files as well older versions of nortons didnt do that but if i didnt buy this one i was going to try windows defender.

Ask any IT professional what they think of Norton antivirus products and you'll generally get the same answer - avoid them! My own theory on why Norton is so 'popular' (ie. they have high numbers 'sold') is because of PC World (which sells it very cheap) and it's distributed on new machines and most people just extend it beyond the 3 or 12 month trial they get with the machine.

Windows Defender is a very poor antivirus / antispyware product but, like the Windows Firewall, is better than nothing. My suggestion is to buy a good antivirus product (my well known preference is ESET Antivirus) or use the best free one you can. See the threads for a few ideas. Whatever you do, make sure you have a good antivirus, antispyware and firewall product - you really need all three.

At the end of the day though, if Norton 360 works for you then use it. It's all about what you feel comfortable with. There is no point having the best and most expensive antivirus app you can if you don't actually trust it and feel comfortable with it!

EDDIE
30-Dec-08, 15:22
hi blueivy
I went for norton because its a well know brand for security and is more likely to get the latest updates quickly i would love to try other brands of antivirus protection but how good are these products at updating.
I must be getting old im a great believer in the saying its better the devil you know than the one u dont.?
But if there is one thing that really annoys me is when u go to places like pc world the laptops and desktops are preloaded with to much software you dont really need it would be nice just to buy a machine with the basic operating system and microsoft office as standard and thats it no other software but it aint going to happen so there is no point talking about it.

blueivy
30-Dec-08, 15:44
hi blueivy
I went for norton because its a well know brand for security and is more likely to get the latest updates quickly i would love to try other brands of antivirus protection but how good are these products at updating.

I can only speak for the products I work with. ESET Antivirus updates every 4 hours and VIPRE can be configured but again I think it's every 4 hours by default.

ESET (of ESET Antivirus) is a dedicated antimalware company so that's all they do and do it well. Sunbelt Software again is another dedicated security company and again, do it very well. Norton (or Symantec who own them) does a huge number of products (go to Symantec.com and check their product list). Symantec tend to purchase other companies (Norton and Veritas being the two most prominent for us) and destroy their products by adding so much rubbish to them in an attempt to make them do everything. Veritas Backup Exec is one product that was excellent (backup product mainly for servers) and did what it did very very well. Symantec bought the company, added a whole load of junk to th eproduct and it's now one of the most complicated and difficult to troubleshoot products that I maintain.

Anyway, I'm waffling.

I must be getting old im a great believer in the saying its better the devil you know than the one u dont.?

I agree it's better to be comfortable with a product than not. However if you have good recommendations of products then it makes moving away from that well known devil a bit easier.

But if there is one thing that really annoys me is when u go to places like pc world the laptops and desktops are preloaded with to much software you dont really need it would be nice just to buy a machine with the basic operating system and microsoft office as standard and thats it no other software but it aint going to happen so there is no point talking about it.

I tend to find business class machines don't come with so much junk on them as 'home' machines. However they still do come with pre-loaded antivirus etc.

It is ridiculous though. AOL this, Tiscali that, McAfee, Norton, etc. etc.

badger
30-Dec-08, 16:34
I use ESET Smart Security now and am very happy with it. Spam filter was working well until MS had that little problem recently which got them all excited and we were advised to download their security patch. Now I don't get any spam - or at least nothing is showing in my spam folder. Anyone know how that could have happened as until then there were a few every day? Weird.

blueivy
30-Dec-08, 16:54
I use ESET Smart Security now and am very happy with it. Spam filter was working well until MS had that little problem recently which got them all excited and we were advised to download their security patch. Now I don't get any spam - or at least nothing is showing in my spam folder. Anyone know how that could have happened as until then there were a few every day? Weird.

If you mean the recent IE patch then it's unlikely that affected it.

It could be that the ESET Spam Filter is doing it's job 100% just now. The spam filter updates itself along with the rest of the product so new spam definitions are downloaded to detect new spam techniques. Best way to check is to turn it off and see if you start to get spam again.

badger
31-Dec-08, 13:05
But when the spam filter is working it puts spam in the spam folder so I can check it before deleting. That's what is odd - I'm not getting any spam at all and it coincided with downloading that patch, although I suppose that could be coincidence. I wouldn't want a spam filter that just deleted as often genuine emails get treated as spam, just as spam doesn't always get filtered out. My spam folder is sitting there permanently empty.

I checked the spam status and it's showing no spam received since 28/12 ("last service start" whatever that means) - I always used to get a few every day. Maybe I'll have to ask Eset.

blueivy
31-Dec-08, 14:32
But when the spam filter is working it puts spam in the spam folder so I can check it before deleting. That's what is odd - I'm not getting any spam at all and it coincided with downloading that patch, although I suppose that could be coincidence. I wouldn't want a spam filter that just deleted as often genuine emails get treated as spam, just as spam doesn't always get filtered out. My spam folder is sitting there permanently empty.

If you turn the spam filter off you will see what is actually coming into your inbox unfiltered.

I checked the spam status and it's showing no spam received since 28/12 ("last service start" whatever that means) - I always used to get a few every day. Maybe I'll have to ask Eset.

Is it possible your ISP has started spam filtering or changed it's filter to be more aggressive so no spam is actually reached you over the last few days? Are you getting ANY email? (maybe they turned your account off :D)

badger
31-Dec-08, 16:59
Of course I'm getting email :eek: . If that stopped I would be worried - always lots coming and going. My ISP is BT - I use BTYahoo webmail for some of my other accounts and the spam has been piling up there in the trash folder as usual. Will try turning my Eset filter off just to please you :)

badger
07-Jan-09, 22:09
Turned my spam filter off for a few days - no spam. Turned it back on again - still no spam. No spam since that security patch. Maybe one of life's little mysteries :eek:

blueivy
07-Jan-09, 22:27
Turned my spam filter off for a few days - no spam. Turned it back on again - still no spam. No spam since that security patch. Maybe one of life's little mysteries :eek:

You mentioned your ISP was BT - I know BT Yahoo have a pretty aggressive spam filter (I know as my mail usually ends up in it for some reason) - maybe BT Internet has started using it and the spam destined for you is being filtered by them? Just a thought. They do have a webmail service which has their 'Spam' folder in it that you may be able to log into. Most customers don't know anything about it until I mention it to them and they then find lots of email that had got 'lost'.

Alternatively, I think you should stop looking for problems (:D) and enjoy the spam free period while it lasts as it won't last for very long ;)