PDA

View Full Version : Glasvegas...

percy toboggan
29-Dec-08, 18:06
...Wallet bought me their album for Christmas and I can't decide if I like it or not.

:confused

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Jan-09, 16:32
Thoughts then, Percy?

percy toboggan
10-Jan-09, 17:01
Mmmm....I think it is growing on me.
There are a few tracks which are almost instantly likeable - Geraldine & Daddy's Gone - the latter so painfully poignant it could make me weep were I in sentimental mode.

I could have done without the bad language but confess once or twice I've joined in with 'ere we effin' go' with great gusto - sounds like a good football chant & took me back about four decades.

I saw the band on t.v. recently and was surprised by their clean cut appearance - very civilised - shame. I like my musical influences to be long haired when they're young. No matter, I'll get over it. I need to play the album whilst belting up the A74 to God's country...give me a few weeks and it'll be sorted.

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Jan-09, 17:27
That's a fair assessment, percy. Must admit am not a fan of their chibbin-weegie style - I preferred them when they were a comedy-rock band and played songs from Grease - and there's more 1960s-psyche flowing through the album than Roy Orbison. A lot of 'Glasgow' bands are now writing about waving chainsaws at waist height as they walk up and down Byres Road, and a far cry from the Belle & Sebastian types who write about being in Tinderbox (again on Byres Road) eating scones and talking about how nice the architecture is in interviews. I still expect Glasvegas' drummer, Caroline McKay, to pip Foo Fighters' Taylor Hawkins in the Best Drummer of 2009 Awards, should a competition exist, of course.

the_big_mac
10-Jan-09, 19:49
I still expect Glasvegas' drummer, Caroline McKay, to pip Foo Fighters' Taylor Hawkins in the Best Drummer of 2009 Awards, should a competition exist, of course.

:eek:

I dont particulary rate Taylor Hawkins or the Foo Fighters, and I hate Glasvegas, but what are you hearing?! Next you'll be trying to tell me that Meg White can actually play.

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Jan-09, 20:02

I dont particulary rate Taylor Hawkins or the Foo Fighters, and I hate Glasvegas, but what are you hearing?! Next you'll be trying to tell me that Meg White can actually play.

It's a reference to the fact Karen Carpenter (who was a genuinely good drummer it must be said) pipped John Bonham in a Best Drummer of the Year Award many moons ago. Meg White, on the other hand, is a very good maracas player.

the_big_mac
10-Jan-09, 20:43
It's a reference to the fact Karen Carpenter (who was a genuinely good drummer it must be said) pipped John Bonham in a Best Drummer of the Year Award many moons ago. Meg White, on the other hand, is a very good maracas player.

Fair enough. Cant really argue with that.

hotrod4
10-Jan-09, 21:26
The album is Ok at best. I really wanted to like it but feel it was so over-hyped that anything short of brilliant was going to be a let down.
The drummer(if you can call her that!) only plays one very simple beat throughout the whole album that even i (White caithness gangsta rapper extrodinaire![lol]) could play.
Good lyrics which are well written but a very mediocre album IMO

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Jan-09, 21:33
The album is Ok at best. I really wanted to like it but feel it was so over-hyped that anything short of brilliant was going to be a let down.
The drummer(if you can call her that!) only plays one very simple beat throughout the whole album that even i (White caithness gangsta rapper extrodinaire![lol]) could play.
Good lyrics which are well written but a very mediocre album IMO

Fair comment. I agree they have been over-hyped (though it must be said The Herald gave it a 2/5 review - Lords Of ##################### got Album of the Year from them incidentally), and Caroline McKay's presence is a strange one. She had only been playing the drums for two months when she joined the band, and the band often play over pre-recorded drums at their live shows anyway. Still, it worked for the White Stripes.

zebedy
11-Jan-09, 00:38

I dont particulary rate Taylor Hawkins or the Foo Fighters,

http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/facepalm.gif