PDA

View Full Version : Gavin & Stacey

Kevin Milkins
27-Dec-08, 23:22
I feel as if I have over dosed on TV just now and I am taking a break to catch up on Orgland and reflect on my Christmas viewing.

I only have freeview, but I still can't decide what to watch next and feel that there is more than plenty to choose from.

Without wanting to sound patriotic my favourite viewing so far is the Gavin & Stacey Christmas special.

I stumbled on this show when they were doing a back to back viewing of series one on BBC3 and and have been hooked ever since. I missed the first bit and got the the DVD as a present and look foward to seeing it when the Christmas TV has cooled down a bit.lol

James Cordon and Ruth Jones are such clever writers and I am sure we will be seeing a lot more of them in the future.

What has everyone else been up to viewing wise, and what has given that feel good factor?

telfordstar
27-Dec-08, 23:42
You made a good choice there Kevin the chrstmas special was a good laugh. Did you watch the Royale family christmas special it was a laugh as well.

Your right tv is crap eh night.

Kevin Milkins
27-Dec-08, 23:47
You made a good choice there Kevin the chrstmas special was a good laugh. Did you watch the Royale family christmas special it was a laugh as well.

Your right tv is crap eh night.

LOL
Funny enough,
The Royale family was my second favorite bit of viewing.

telfordstar
27-Dec-08, 23:53
LOL
Funny enough,
The Royale family was my second favorite bit of viewing.

Great minds eh.:lol:

ShelleyCowie
27-Dec-08, 23:54
I have felt slightly dissapointed this year with some of the shows put on. I remember constant back to back movies and Christmas specials of things but this year it has been rather a let down!

I did watch The polar express, Willy Wonka, Sharktale, Santa Clause the movie and a few others!

Hopefully next years christmas movies will be more impressive with more movies on! Sayin that i have them all on DVD! :lol:

MadPict
27-Dec-08, 23:54
OH!!!!.......WHAT'S OCCURRING?

I too discovered the comic delight of G&S when the first series was run back to back on BBC3 just prior to the second series. The first series was excellent. The second series was a bit less so (echoed by many critics) but the Xmas special was very good.
Rob Brydon as Uncle Bryn cracks me up...

Liz
28-Dec-08, 00:03
Another Gavin and Stacey fan here!:lol: I thought the Christmas special was great but have to say 'The Royle Family' was my favourite along with 'Wallace and Gromit A Matter of Loaf and Death'.

Also really enjoyed 'Dancing On Ice Christmas Special'.

I suppose the problem with films now is we all have DVDs so have seen them all by the time Christmas comes along.

purplelady
28-Dec-08, 00:23
I have never watch Gavin and Stacey before till the xmas special but i will be watching more i loved it loved the royal family too other then that thought tv was a real let down over xmas ho taped dr who hopefully watch that soon x

Kevin Milkins
28-Dec-08, 00:41
I have never watch Gavin and Stacey before till the xmas special but i will be watching more i loved it loved the royal family too other then that thought tv was a real let down over xmas ho taped dr who hopefully watch that soon x

If you have never watched G&S before and enjoyed the xmas special I would recommend buying the box set of series one and two so you will get the story from the start.
As I said in my first post I missed the start of the first series, but I have just watched it.
It is quality entertainment that is rare today from a writers oint of view.

Kevin Milkins
28-Dec-08, 00:49
OH!!!!.......WHAT'S OCCURRING?

I too discovered the comic delight of G&S when the first series was run back to back on BBC3 just prior to the second series. The first series was excellent. The second series was a bit less so (echoed by many critics) but the Xmas special was very good.
Rob Brydon as Uncle Bryn cracks me up...

Uncle Bryn is just so funny.

Ruth Jones, aka Nessa with her one liners and referance to some of the things she has done is very clever. I have never noticed her before as an actress, yet since G&S she seems to crop up in all sorts of programes that I had never noticed her in before. Last night watching Little Britain in America she was Myfanwy the barmaid in "I am the only gay in the village" lol. She was also in little Doritt.

percy toboggan
28-Dec-08, 13:29
Dipped my toe in and didn't like it much.

I wanted to....but it did little for me.

trix
28-Dec-08, 17:15
aye me too percy...

i lek somethin of a more....sophisticated viewin [lol]

Tilter
28-Dec-08, 17:24
Hi. I'd never seen G&S before either but saw Xmas special. You're right, thought it really good except it was a bit American sitcom-ish where they go all quiet and serious now and again to give you time to ingest the moral of the story. Bit sick-making.

Didn't watch much telly (once my sad person's surfeit of Strictly Come Dancing was finally out of the way) but my favourite thing was Creature Comforts doing 12 days of Xmas. CC always my favourites.

Am going to watch 39 Steps tonight, since I'm only person on planet not to have seen it.

Alice in Blunderland
28-Dec-08, 18:21
I have to confess the telly stayed of on Christmas Day with the exception of Dr Who. It went on for that programme then straight back of again.

It was great no fighting over what to watch and no added noise to the already bustling house. :D As I type the telly still isnt on and I dont expect the kids will put it on later as they are busy playing games.

babybunt
28-Dec-08, 20:18
OMG I love G&S, xmas special was excellent!! Please let there be a 3rd series, Smithy and Nessa have got to get 2gether hahaha! Is so well written and all the characters are brill with their own little quirks!
Omelette anyone????

hotrod4
29-Dec-08, 12:37
Gavin and stacey is the funniest thing on the box. HAve watched it since the start and would NEVER miss an episode. Uncle Bryn is hilarious as is the old lady who lives next door who's Toyboy lover smokes skunk!!!! She is hilarious and is as randy as a rabid dog![lol]
Its Quality it is.

mccaugm
29-Dec-08, 13:05
At my mum and dads and they are not keen on watching Christmas telly but they are G & S addicts which was brilliant as the special was just that. I know it was not on at Christmas exactly but watched The 39 Steps last night....fantastic viewing. Spooks for the 1900's. If someone would write a series like that I would be addicted. Pure class!.