nice shots, it's called 'The Vent'

shazzap
21-Dec-08, 14:53
nice shots, it's called 'The Vent'

Where is it and what is its purpose ?

Tugmistress
21-Dec-08, 15:09
Hera ya go shazz

The Northlands Festival commissioned this new sculpture by George Wyllie one of the UK's best and most imaginative sculptors. The sculpture will be in place long after the the festival has passed.
The sculpture has been made from Caithness stone with steel additions. The Vent window represents a link to the new Scottish Parliament with the ancient Parliament of Iceland
The sculpture is situated on a small headland near Thurso on the road to Scrabster. It is easy to find if you keep an eye out on the right hand side as you drive to Scrabster.

taken from here (http://www.caithness.org/atoz/scrabster/vent/vent/index.htm)

wifie
21-Dec-08, 15:16
Hmmm! That is as clear as mud! Edinburgh - Iceland via Scrabster - can anyone enlighten me? :confused My brain hurts the day as it is wi the cowld but I am even worse now! [disgust]

Tugmistress
21-Dec-08, 15:18
Hmmm! That is as clear as mud! Edinburgh - Iceland via Scrabster - can anyone enlighten me? :confused My brain hurts the day as it is wi the cowld but I am even worse now! [disgust]

yeah i can't immediately see it either, but, if anyone has a big enough map, does a straight line from edinburgh to iceland run through scrabster?

wifie
21-Dec-08, 15:19
yeah i can't immediately see it either, but, if anyone has a big enough map, does a straight line from edinburgh to iceland run through scrabster?
LOL! That crossed my mind but I am feelin far too thick to work that out! Thick wi the cowld I mean of course! [lol]

shazzap
21-Dec-08, 15:27
Cheers Tugs.

Although i do not know anything about the links between the two goverments.

golach
21-Dec-08, 17:30
Sadly that theory does not work Tugs,
Edinburgh is 55'56" North and 03'12" West
Scrabster is 58'38" North and 03'32" West
Reykjavik is 64'07" North and 21'58" West
Sadly no way is that a direct line from Edinburgh to Reykjavik :(

Dog-eared
21-Dec-08, 17:31
A line drawn from Edinburgh to the most Easterly part of Iceland passes about 10mls West of Inverness and a long , long way to the West of Thurso - somewhere near Ullapool !!

Tugmistress
21-Dec-08, 18:01
ah well, so what the heck is the connection then? ... hey Golach, go take a look in that parliament building and see if they know lol

grumpyhippo
21-Dec-08, 20:53
long way to the West of Thurso - somewhere near Ullapool !!

That would be close enough for the politicians in Auld Reekie:lol::lol:

dessie
21-Dec-08, 21:10
its a TOBLERONE. holder :Razz

Dog-eared
21-Dec-08, 21:36
Toblerone - yes its a reminder for the Faeroese to buy lots of choccies before boarding their ferry !:lol:

kas
22-Dec-08, 00:56
ah well, so what the heck is the connection then?

Maybe they had a premonition about the Norona coming in for a year. :lol:

I never knew any of this, very interesting. They certainly chose a good quality area with top residents though!![lol]

Although the exact spot doesnt exactly highlight it. Unlike your nearby sculpture which stands proudly above the village..

wifie
22-Dec-08, 01:01
Maybe they had a premonition about the Norona coming in for a year. :lol:

I never knew any of this, very interesting. They certainly chose a good quality area with top residents though!![lol]

Although the exact spot doesnt exactly highlight it. Unlike your nearby sculpture which stands proudly above the village..

Yer right Kas choice area! But you usually canna see it for long grass! Got any O's? LOL!

Aaldtimer
22-Dec-08, 03:55
ah well, so what the heck is the connection then? ... hey Golach, go take a look in that parliament building and see if they know lol

The Northlands Festival commissioned this new sculpture by George Wyllie one of the UK's best and most imaginative sculptors. The sculpture will be in place long after the the festival has passed.

The NORTHLANDS Festival was the connection all those years ago! ;)

wifie
22-Dec-08, 04:18

The NORTHLANDS Festival was the connection all those years ago! ;)
Och ye've gone all cryptic on us Aaldtimer! [lol]

Kenn
22-Dec-08, 11:58
Personally I reckon some one had a few stones left over from a wall and decided to build a portal NOW it you could step in and have 1 foot in Scotland and 1 in Iceland, I would be impressed or may be it's just to fool the archeaologists of the future into thinking there was some strange unknown race who built it!

Kenn
22-Dec-08, 19:23
Nah been there ,tried that all I got was 1 foot nearer to the cliff edge!

Sporran
22-Dec-08, 20:54
Hera ya go shazz

The sculpture has been made from Caithness stone with steel additions. The Vent window represents a link to the new Scottish Parliament with the ancient Parliament of Iceland
The sculpture is situated on a small headland near Thurso on the road to Scrabster. It is easy to find if you keep an eye out on the right hand side as you drive to Scrabster.

taken from here (http://www.caithness.org/atoz/scrabster/vent/vent/index.htm)

Is it near Burnside?

Tugmistress
23-Dec-08, 08:04
yes sporran, as you turn at the weigh inn and head towards scrabster you cross over the burn and then look towards the sea and you'll see it just around there.

Sporran
23-Dec-08, 15:52
Thanks, Tugmistress! :)

Fisherbigin
30-Dec-08, 20:55
Now you have the Vent sorted out,what about the Polo Mint??!!! on top o' the hill at Scrabster