PDA

View Full Version : Our Brilliant Posties!

Dorrie
19-Dec-08, 18:51
I was one of the idiots that forgot about large letters and posted some large cards with second class stamps on them. Thankfully I realised straight away and the woman behind the counter sold me stamps to make it up to the right amount and suggested that I go to the sorting office, tell them where I had posted the cards and ask them to put the extra stamps on for me. I checked with everyone I had sent to and no-one had to pay an extra charge so those brilliant posties managed to find my cards in the middle of the pile and stamp them for me! Thank you posties! :)

Lavenderblue2
19-Dec-08, 21:26
I am glad you are giving praise to the posties Dorrie - we have a brilliant postwoman here in our area - I don't envy her job - out in all weathers and rarely late.

What would we do without them.

Kodiak
19-Dec-08, 21:40
I agree COMPLETELY. We have some of the Very Best Posties here in Caithness. I even had a Letter delivered to me and all it had on the envelope was my Name and Thurso, Scotland.

Our Postie is THE person whom I give a Tip at Christmas as he deserves it for delivering the mail in all Weathers.

Well Done to All the Staff in Both Sorting Offices, Thurso and Wick.

ar1ling
19-Dec-08, 22:00
yeah, i will agree with that, postman in our area is really helpful and friendly as well. we are really appreciated it.:Razz

ShelleyCowie
19-Dec-08, 22:03
Praise to posties! We couldnt live without them! Especially at this time of year!! All the christmas cards and presents!

And who would deliver my games for the xbox!! :lol:

Thanks posties!

carasmam
19-Dec-08, 23:12
Good to see some praise for the posties :D Didn't envy them today at all and my postie was still cheery even though he was soaked and freezing :)

percy toboggan
19-Dec-08, 23:28
I was a postman '74'-78 - some of the happiest working days of my life so far (two fantastic summers in there) ...it's a hard job which is now even harder. I ended up as a Union rep but what the guys and gals have to put up with now is unbelievable.
Rural or even semi-rural postie must be one of the best jobs going. Especially in God's country.

golach
20-Dec-08, 01:22
I was a postman '74'-78 - some of the happiest working days of my life so far (two fantastic summers in there) ...it's a hard job which is now even harder. I ended up as a Union rep but what the guys and gals have to put up with now is unbelievable.
Rural or even semi-rural postie must be one of the best jobs going. Especially in God's country.
I too, was a Walk Postman from '64 to '72, we in those days took a pride in delivering letters, before the days of Post Codes, I have to admit the biggest mistake in my life was listening to Tom Jackson in '71 telling us he would sell UPW House brick by brick before he would agree to a pay deal........guess what, we went back to work for less pay.

percy toboggan
21-Dec-08, 14:18
agreed Golach...Tom Jackson's stewardship was just slightly before my time I think but he led you all down the garden path - pardon the pun.
The moustachioed one seemed like a decent gadge but his tactics wer all wrong and Postmen are not by nature militant outside of Liverpool and the big sorting depots in London.

I started in December '74 and for a while going in to work at 5am was like going to party! Good humoured banter from a cheery bunch of blokes - back then I fitted in well. Some re-organisation meant a change of shifts to earlies/lates/nights - and although 'split' shifts went it got tougher but was still a good job with shed loads of overtime. After 12 hours o.t. everything afterwards was double bubble. With a young family I filled my boots and although I was at work most of the time the money was pretty good, and it kept me fit!
I'd drive the van and pick up the mail at the station - Stockport. I watched the 'Night Mail' film recently from the 30's and even in the seventies things had changed little - even the trolleys by the trains looked the same. It would be close to midnight and I'd be totally alone in the secluded street with two or three huge trolley loads of mail from all over the nation - registered post included - and I never even thought about personal security.(neither did my superiors)

Back at the office there'd be about eight of us sorting the mail - I had my own little town to see to - Christmas was hell but a challenge to be relished - the increased quantitites were staggering and my hands were a blue by the time I'd familiarised myself with all the various pigeon holes. I enjoyed it. After doing that all night I'd often as not take a 'walk' out on overtime and cover several miles with a diminishing load - then half way around pick up another full, and heavy sackfull. Happy Days.

When I tire dof the routine I took on the UPW job and if I do say meself set about imposing some long ignored 'rights' upon the management. I went on a few courses, a conference or two and several junkets which opened my eyes a lot to where Union subscriptions end up.

I left in '78 to take up a career in sales repping - which lasted about four months and proved a big mistake....I was tempted by money - £100 a week plus incentives.