PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to NTL (Virgin)

bluenose
14-Dec-08, 17:53
This is not very informative for the simple reason I don't have the details yet.
However, I have been asked if I can connect a pc to an NTL internet port. There is a connection there now but the daughter hogs it. Can I connect the mother to it as well? Can they use it simultaneously?
I have never seen an NTL box so I really have no idea.
Can I use a splitter?
I have asked what cable is used and got a completely blank response.

blueivy
14-Dec-08, 17:56
This is not very informative for the simple reason I don't have the details yet.
However, I have been asked if I can connect a pc to an NTL internet port. There is a connection there now but the daughter hogs it. Can I connect the mother to it as well? Can they use it simultaneously?
I have never seen an NTL box so I really have no idea.
Can I use a splitter?
I have asked what cable is used and got a completely blank response.

Is this over broadband or through 'cable' (ie. like cable TV which we don't have up here)?

How is the daughter connected to the internet port - is it through a Cat 5 / ethernet / network cable or via USB?

Sapphire2803
15-Dec-08, 01:56
The NTL box will have a cat 5 connection to the computer, if it doesn't have an ethernet socket (the pc) it'll be using a USB adapter.

You can attach a router directly to the NTL box and the run cables to various PCs. If you make that a wireless router, then they're all set up for laptops etc as well.