PDA

View Full Version : The Isle of Rum

Boss
10-Dec-08, 20:41
I wondered what members thought about the proposed take over by Rum's residents, of the Isle of Rum.

Do you have views with regard to the presence of SNH on Rum (or in any other area)

Has any members ever visited Rum and if so, what were your perceptions of the island?

3boys4me
10-Dec-08, 20:50
Hi there
As a child my aunt and uncle lived on rum and I spent time there in the summer. it is a beautiful island, and well kept. I think it would probably quire nice for the residents to take over provided the level of conservation remains. Well worth a visit to anyone who fancies it!

Valerie Campbell
11-Dec-08, 11:14
My husband's ancestors were born at Guirdil on Rum in the 1870s and we hope to get out there to show the kids someday. Have heard the midgies can be a pain though, and the rain!!!

Boss
11-Dec-08, 12:38
Thank you for you comments,

I believe Rum is beatiful, but can it be successfully run with only 30 residents?

There are five new crofts offered, crofting and agriculture are in direct conflict,

If SNH, keep up a high level of management on Rum, how will the island cope?

percy toboggan
11-Dec-08, 21:31
Rhum is the most beautiful island to gaze upon. So often topped with a puff of cloud.

To see the sun sinking behind Rhum and Skye is a truly wondrous sight. I spell Rhum with an aitch as you'll have noticed - either spelling is acceptable. I have visited the island twice, and it's 'sister' island 'Eigg' on three occassions. I know little of its viability but feel tourism could be increased (only slightly I hope) to provide a little more economic benefit. There is a large castle type building which might afford a few spare guestrooms.

This is a part of the world which is very dear to me. In my opinion there is no finer sight in the world on a clear day than to gaze across to Rhum.I understand the residents of Eigg now own their island and seem to be doing quite well.

I wish I had the wherewithal the youth and the energy to live and contribute to such a community. I've spoken to residents, and to a few on neighbouring Muck...and they all seem such friendly, affable folk. Some of them were even English!

Errogie
12-Dec-08, 22:48
I was involved in estate management on Rhum for three years in the seventies. Although it supported more than 400 inhabitants at the begining of the 19th. century before it was cleared, it has the poorest soils of any of the four small isles (Rhum, Muck, Eigg and Canna). Sir George Buller imported two acres of top soil from Arran to make the Kinloch castle gardens. The mountains which are the root of an ancient volcano make it the most spectacular though.

At that time the last "native" George Macnaughton retired to Aberdeenshire and there was a distinct lack of community spirit and leadership among the inhabitants who all worked for the Nature Conservancy Council later S.N.H. with the exception of the school teacher.

It's a fine brave and topical idea to hive of the non natural history interest but the potential to derive any income from the place plus the huge costs of servicing everything from the mainland is a major challenge. They seem to be making a go of community ownership on Eigg but unless there are some really strong and imaginative leaders they'll be on a drip feed of grants and bailouts for costs which are presently being picked up by S.N.H. whose accountants are only too willing to dump them onto someone else.

It's a big turn around of thinking for politicians to entertain selling of part of a National Nature Resrve, the old Nature Conservancy high heid yins are probably spinning in their graves. But then they also want to flog of 25% of the Forestry Commission's commecial woodland and of course in 5 years time they'll be able to say the remainder is making no money so lets roll it up with S.N.H. and the Red Deer Commission and get rid of half the staff.

Boss
13-Dec-08, 12:32
I was involved in estate management on Rhum for three years in the seventies. Although it supported more than 400 inhabitants at the begining of the 19th. century before it was cleared, it has the poorest soils of any of the four small isles (Rhum, Muck, Eigg and Canna). Sir George Buller imported two acres of top soil from Arran to make the Kinloch castle gardens. The mountains which are the root of an ancient volcano make it the most spectacular though.

At that time the last "native" George Macnaughton retired to Aberdeenshire and there was a distinct lack of community spirit and leadership among the inhabitants who all worked for the Nature Conservancy Council later S.N.H. with the exception of the school teacher.

It's a fine brave and topical idea to hive of the non natural history interest but the potential to derive any income from the place plus the huge costs of servicing everything from the mainland is a major challenge. They seem to be making a go of community ownership on Eigg but unless there are some really strong and imaginative leaders they'll be on a drip feed of grants and bailouts for costs which are presently being picked up by S.N.H. whose accountants are only too willing to dump them onto someone else.

It's a big turn around of thinking for politicians to entertain selling of part of a National Nature Resrve, the old Nature Conservancy high heid yins are probably spinning in their graves. But then they also want to flog of 25% of the Forestry Commission's commecial woodland and of course in 5 years time they'll be able to say the remainder is making no money so lets roll it up with S.N.H. and the Red Deer Commission and get rid of half the staff.

I tend to agree with you, yet another trial by government officials on a let's see if it will work basis, for myself, I think it is a big con, simply that as far back as two years ago, Rum was crying out for new occupiers, but were overly fussy as to who would be accepted.
No one from the island or SNH, were ever available to make comment, answer emails or letters and I got the distinct feeling from interested others that SNH were not all that keen.
Rum is beautiful, I used to see it every morning from my bedroom window (on another island) but to reside there, and work there and live the dream, well, I think they want superhumans.