PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Open Mic Night; Y-Not Bar

Thundercrack
10-Dec-08, 16:30
Our final open mic night of the year will be on Thur. 18th DEC around 9 pm. For our Christmas Party we'll be featuring some new additions including Sean Humphries (guitar/vocals) & Thomas Wymer (bass). This young duo have been practicing away & are keen on playing a short set. Looking forward to hearing what they've got!

A new line-up which has come together through the open mics are Blue Riders. They are Fraser Bain (pedal steel), Les Cowley (electric guitar), Pete Hodgson (vocals/acoustic guitar) & John Sawkins on bass. These seasoned musicians will be playing a mix of covers & original songs.

Memphis Jurisdiction are fast becoming a favourite with our audiences at open mics. This trio of country-influenced sisters make a welcome return next Thursday when they'll be playing a slightly longer set, as will our other bands.

Another group of very seasoned musicians is the North Coast Jazz Band who've been entertaining audiences in the north for some time. We're thrilled & delighted to have them along to play some trad jazz.

All told, a very fine line-up to finish the year in style. This will be the last open mic for around 3 months, so come along & enjoy the party!
Website: www.openmicthurso.co.uk (http://www.openmicthurso.co.uk) :evil

bigbenjokazooie
10-Dec-08, 21:28
i thought open mic nights were for anyone to go up? like a random event...

sounds like this night is already been booked and is more like a gig...?

guitarzan
10-Dec-08, 22:37
yeah i was thinkin the same thing...

wifie
11-Dec-08, 00:46
Glad you guys were thinkin that - I was confused! :confused
Might it not be a bit off-putting to a newcomer?

davem
11-Dec-08, 01:40
The universe tends to chaos, what is wrong with organising things a little?
If people express the desire to play / perform in advance then they get a spot. The contact details are there for anyone prepared to ask.

wifie
11-Dec-08, 01:57
Also a cool point! Like I say - confused! :confused

Thundercrack
11-Dec-08, 21:09
Absolutely! And musicians do just turn up on the night, (that's where most of our now regulars came from!) For someone just coming along with a guitar, that works, but if there are a group of folk it can get tricksy and time consuming getting them and their equipment set up. It can help to know in advance who is likely to be there and certainly makes organising the event a bit easier. As we have to pay for our sound technician and PA we want to make sure there will be performers! We also have the audience and the venue to consider. As Davem mentioned things can easily get chaotic without any planning. So in short anyone can come along and have a go, always welcome and we do our best to fit them in. (Haven't had to turn anyone away so far, touch wood.)
Our primary aim is to give local musicians a platform to perform in public which they may not otherwise have. Hopefully, with encouragement, they won't find this too daunting. :evil

wifie
11-Dec-08, 22:30
Thanks for explanation! :)