PDA

View Full Version : Work for Benefit.

cuddlepop
07-Dec-08, 17:53
Ed Balls has great plans to bring the ethos of working back into the benefit culture and is proposing you work for your benefit.

I agree with his proposal and indeed have done a great deal of voluntary work while in reseat of Carer's allowence.
This benefit under his proposals will be excempt as will a few others.

What I am concerend about is that some employers will abuse this system and "employ" benefit recipients and not pay for proper employees.

There are other proposals in his agenda for work,mainly as of 2010 all single parents of a 7 year old and above should be actively seeking work.

Over here on Skye there is neither the jobs or child care for such proposals.:confused

What do others think?

Vistravi
07-Dec-08, 18:10
mmm don't know how that'l work out. i share your concerns that empolyers will take advanage of it and therefore lead to more people out of work. That's the last thing the econmoy needs at the moment:(

unicorn
07-Dec-08, 18:28
Does it not already happen with jobseekers? they go to work for an employer for an extra tenner benefit or something like that and the employer gets paid for hiring them.

rainbow
07-Dec-08, 18:33
I agree that some people should do something for their benefits - even if it is communitywork - picking up rubbish at the side of the road, doing pensionners gardens, painting community fences etc. Why should some people get handouts long term, having never contributed to the taxation system!!

cuddlepop
07-Dec-08, 18:35
Does it not already happen with jobseekers? they go to work for an employer for an extra tenner benefit or something like that and the employer gets paid for hiring them.

I know you get an extra tenner onto your benefits when your training for work.

Its such a radical idea that unless the ground work is done correctly then I can see it failing.

Over here there's alot of hotel work that is outwith the 9 to 5 routine so they were proposing to have a "sitter service" .
This scheme apparently works very well in Dundee.:confused

Just who can afford this sort of system,its almost like employing a "nanny" on KP wages.:confused

Boss
07-Dec-08, 18:52
Ed Balls has great plans to bring the ethos of working back into the benefit culture and is proposing you work for your benefit.

I agree with his proposal and indeed have done a great deal of voluntary work while in reseat of Carer's allowence.
This benefit under his proposals will be excempt as will a few others.

What I am concerend about is that some employers will abuse this system and "employ" benefit recipients and not pay for proper employees.

There are other proposals in his agenda for work,mainly as of 2010 all single parents of a 7 year old and above should be actively seeking work.

Over here on Skye there is neither the jobs or child care for such proposals.:confused

What do others think?

In a perfect world, where everyone is happy with its government and the puerile squabbles between the two leaders wasn't turning the whole political arena into a laughing stock for the rest of the world to look upon with disdain, it might be an option.

In my experience, many people who are on benefits would like to work or at least try, but they are held back because of the fear they may not earn enough to cover their living.
Those who do venture out into the real world and take up employment often find themselves overwhelmed by what is real and what they thought was real, inevitably they find they cannot cope and are back on benefits before they know it, minimum wages, long hours, no rewards, full rents...etc
for many work is not an option, these are the children brought up in the welfare state, they have little or no education, no skills, no trades, no hopes.
The state is to blame for the welfare state, the state let these children and most likely their parents down and the state now intends to punish those very people whom the state sought to create.

In my opinion, forcing people to work for their benefits is nothing short of oppressive, a draconian idea.
Far better to address this situation by creating jobs, and I don't mean menial or manual forced labour,

Educate the young, educate the older, offer some manner of work whereby working for a living brings some kind of satisfaction for a job well done and the reward of a decent wage at the end of the day.

In this time of depression, and with Britain in recession, it is not in a position to keep its normal workforce in work, let alone find work for those who are on benefits.

In rural areas, education tends to begin in the home, the child is learning life's skills all the time,
in towns, the education rarely begins until a child goes into a nursery school, with generation after generation unable to read, write, etc,
I agree, it is time for a rethink, but this will not happen until the "powers at be" can get their own "act" in order.

I am proud to be Scottish, I grew up at a time when "Scotland" was considered to have the best education in the entire world, I was fortunate enough to have educated parents who demanded their children when they went to school "listened and learned",
way back when, there was disipline in the home and in the school.

No, I don't think the government who created a country full of non working adults and uneducated children have the right to further persecute, these already unfortunate souls, who for the most part would like to do better, but are ill equipped to do so.

Gizmo
07-Dec-08, 18:53
It will be as much of a disaster as the Child Support Agency, if it is going to be done by sending those on benefit into commercial businesses then it will be abused and put others out of work, and if it's going to be done by putting those on benefit into the community to do work like picking up litter, graffiti clean up etc it's going to cost millions to fund as there are a huge amount of people out of work at the moment.

I agree that something has to be done about those who have never worked and are quite happy on benefits, but many people who find themselves out of work have paid income tax and national insurance contributions for a long time and are quite rightly entitled to state benefit for a period of time, they in no way should be thought of as state scroungers and should not have to work for the benefit, at least not for the first while.

Since i left school 21 years ago i have found myself out of work for a total of 3 years and i claimed what i was quite rightly entitled to in that time, and also, a lot of people seem to be under the impression that everyone who is unemployed gets benefits, that's not the case, i got Job Seekers Allowance for 5 months last year, then i found work for 3 months, after that job ended i got JSA for a further month and then since Febuary this year i have had diddly squat in benefits as my entitlement to JSA ran out, and i can't claim any other form of benefit as my wife works full time, now if the government offered me the chance to work the hours at the national minimum wage to the amount of a standard benefit payment (probably 11 hours) then i would jump at the chance, but i really do think Ed Balls proposal is unrealistic and unworkable.

cuddlepop
07-Dec-08, 19:47
The way I see it is that
1 the government pay you when you have a child.
2 the government pay you to send your child to nursery.
3 thw government pay you to go to work.

very simple terms here but I think its the "nanny" state is trying to clone the way our kids are "brought" up.:eek:

Dorrie
07-Dec-08, 20:01

When I worked with Jobseekers it was a different kettle of fish. I would find employers for them who paid an extra £10 per week for each unit the Jobseekers completed properly. This meant that when the Jobseekers were trained they were on a pretty decent wage. Pity more employers didn't follow suit. It was a good incentive for the Jobseekers and the employer was acknowledging their hard work, and it was less likely to put another employee out of work too.

catran
07-Dec-08, 21:53
Dont get me more upset.......................There are so many using and abusing the system its unreal.
Fair enough, if out of a job through no fault of one's own ,yes get some help but those that have never, ever ,worked and who do not want to work and who know the system outside in. I am led to believe they will even pay the mortgage if one can be convincing, what can one do with them? They are bringing their off spring up in the same way. Pays to have children nowadays and that is part of the problem, more the merrier for the handouts, rent paid, council tax paid.
Caithness was not bad for malingerers years ago but now...........???????

Education in Caithness long ago used to be highly thought of but not any more, wHY? No respect for parents, teachers , doctors or anything. The name of the game now is sue. Children used to go to sunday school even that has gone by the board.

Thumper
08-Dec-08, 13:03
To be honest I cant see this working,what will happen is that the ones who have no intention of working will manage to get out of it somehow and the ones who really want to work but cant because of childcare issues etc will be forced into working just to get what they are entitled to and will probably have to struggle with childcare issues just to get their benefits.I am on benefits and I do volunteer work because its the only way I can work round my kids at the moment,but I see plenty of people who get a LOT more in benefits than me and have never worked in their lives and seem to have no intention to,they will be the ones who will find a way round this if it happens x

ocd
08-Dec-08, 13:19
I think people should def have to do something for their benefits.

I have never claimed benefits and hope never to have to!!

As for having more and more kids, you should receive extra benefit for a limited amount of kids, maybe 3. How many working families do you know who can afford to have over 3 kids?????

Boss
08-Dec-08, 13:41
Dont get me more upset.......................There are so many using and abusing the system its unreal.
Fair enough, if out of a job through no fault of one's own ,yes get some help but those that have never, ever ,worked and who do not want to work and who know the system outside in. I am led to believe they will even pay the mortgage if one can be convincing, what can one do with them? They are bringing their off spring up in the same way. Pays to have children nowadays and that is part of the problem, more the merrier for the handouts, rent paid, council tax paid.
Caithness was not bad for malingerers years ago but now...........???????

Education in Caithness long ago used to be highly thought of but not any more, wHY? No respect for parents, teachers , doctors or anything. The name of the game now is sue. Children used to go to sunday school even that has gone by the board.

I agree with much of your comment, but again, it's the Government at fault.
When something happens and is reported, the general population is outraged, they demand the government change the law of the land, in as much as a precautionary / prevention strategy to prevent it happening again.

I think, the fact of the matter is that there will always be / have always been a tiny minority of evil people, people like Karen Matthews (for financial gain) or Fred West (sexual pleasure), or Myra Hindlay (Perceived Love), blah de blah.............

Responsible parents try to educate their children, warn them of strangers etc, some listen, some don't or just forget in times of crisis.......
discipline once in the home has now been outlawed in an attempt to stop "abuse", discipline in schools, stopped again in the name of preventing abuse,
Children today have the upper hand, teachers cannot cope, they have no control and neither do the parents! and as for God or Sunday school, well, for many these do not exist.

It is a vicious circle, the kids do what they like good or bad and thanks to a short sighted few of do-gooders, no one has any control........
at one time, the Sabbath was a day to worship and for some to relax, a chance for a child (or adult) to get dressed in their Sunday best and go to church, seldom happens any more and more especially in cities the churches are empty and the shops are full.

Whatever, the future holds, to tackle such a huge problem which the welfare state has caused, changes in every aspect of our lives must take place,

To this day, in the Western Isles traditions are held dear.
No shops, clubs, pubs open on a Sunday.
No work of any description on a Sunday, I would not call these people fanatics, I would say they have kept their identity, and their dignity in the face of all adversity in a modern world.

I am not saying, that all people should attend church, but no Sunday opening of any description would be a start (albeit) a small start to recovery of quality family time together, somehow, though I don't see this happening in my lifetime.

rockchick
08-Dec-08, 15:05
In my opinion, forcing people to work for their benefits is nothing short of oppressive, a draconian idea.
Far better to address this situation by creating jobs, and I don't mean menial or manual forced labour,

Educate the young, educate the older, offer some manner of work whereby working for a living brings some kind of satisfaction for a job well done and the reward of a decent wage at the end of the day.

Why not manual or menial jobs? What a great inspiration to get off benefits...mind-numbing dead-end labour. Maybe when they see how hard and dead-end the yucky jobs are then they will be inspired to get off their butts and train for something that they want to do. If benefit recipients are physically capable of working, but are not trained for anything skilled, they should give back to the society that is supporting them by doing the menial work?

I think less people would jump into the safety net if they knew they would be expected to work for it.

Boss
08-Dec-08, 19:40
Why not manual or menial jobs? What a great inspiration to get off benefits...
If benefit recipients are physically capable of working, but are not trained for anything skilled, they should give back to the society that is supporting them by doing the menial work?

I think less people would jump into the safety net if they knew they would be expected to work for it.

Hi Rockchick
You could be right, there again perhaps not.......I meant only that most people (in their right mind) would rather do a job of work which suited them, there is and always has been manual labour available for those who are unemployed and unskilled.
Menial work on the other hand could be considered as degrading by some,
some might consider this type of work as of being in the league of hard labour, ie; long hours, no job satisfaction, no wage at the end of the day.

Quite apart from those who are receiving benefits now, I would be interested in what your view is with regard to those of whom are in the unfortunate position of having (due to the recession) lost their jobs recently?
(Being made redundant is considered one of the highest stress / crisis periods in one's life, with it comes lack of confidence, lack of self respect, loss and despair and some never get over it) should we just say no, to these people?

For instance should we carry them? allow them some dignity? or push them back out to work toot sweet?

I would suggest that our criminals and inmates in our over crowded prisons should lose some of their home comforts, and be put immediately into doing hard labour or menial jobs in the community.

The welfare state has created a generation of no hopers, people like Miss Matthews etc, a lost cause to a civilised society,
people like the aforementioned could not be trusted to work in a civilised society doing menial or manual labour, at least not without supervision.

rockchick
08-Dec-08, 20:16
Hi Rockchick
You could be right, there again perhaps not.......I meant only that most people (in their right mind) would rather do a job of work which suited them, there is and always has been manual labour available for those who are unemployed and unskilled.
Menial work on the other hand could be considered as degrading by some,
some might consider this type of work as of being in the league of hard labour, ie; long hours, no job satisfaction, no wage at the end of the day.

Quite apart from those who are receiving benefits now, I would be interested in what your view is with regard to those of whom are in the unfortunate position of having (due to the recession) lost their jobs recently?
(Being made redundant is considered one of the highest stress / crisis periods in one's life, with it comes lack of confidence, lack of self respect, loss and despair and some never get over it) should we just say no, to these people?

For instance should we carry them? allow them some dignity? or push them back out to work toot sweet?

I would suggest that our criminals and inmates in our over crowded prisons should lose some of their home comforts, and be put immediately into doing hard labour or menial jobs in the community.

The welfare state has created a generation of no hopers, people like Miss Matthews etc, a lost cause to a civilised society,
people like the aforementioned could not be trusted to work in a civilised society doing menial or manual labour, at least not without supervision.
There's a big difference between receiving benefits temporarily when down on one's luck and being on welfare "cradle to grave".

Most people who find themselves recipients of benefits due to being made redundant may find being on the dole demeaning and are highly motivated to get off it and back to work, even if they can't return to the work they had before. They already know how to earn - they don't need to be taught a work ethic.

Contrast them with people who have known nothing else than cashing their giros and have never held a paid job or supported themselves in their life, even though they are physically capable...if they learned a work ethic (because they have no choice) then they may choose something better for themselves but at least the society that is supporting them will net some gain from them. Essentially their benefit becomes their wage...but they'd still have all the other benefits they enjoy, (no council tax, no prescription fees, free school lunches all spring to mind) that the rest of us have to ante up for.

Boss
08-Dec-08, 21:25
There's a big difference between receiving benefits temporarily when down on one's luck and being on welfare "cradle to grave". Yes, there is. But for children like little sharon, she is an innocent, she knows no better because she is the daughter of a person like Karen, there are millions just like her.

Most people who find themselves recipients of benefits due to being made redundant may find being on the dole demeaning and are highly motivated to get off it and back to work, even if they can't return to the work they had before. They already know how to earn - they don't need to be taught a work ethic.
Yes, you are right.

Contrast them with people who have known nothing else than cashing their giros and have never held a paid job or supported themselves in their life, even though they are physically capable...if they learned a work ethic (because they have no choice) then they may choose something better for themselves but at least the society that is supporting them will net some gain from them. Essentially their benefit becomes their wage...but they'd still have all the other benefits they enjoy, (no council tax, no prescription fees, free school lunches all spring to mind) that the rest of us have to ante up for.

Yes, but do we have the right to force them in this day and age of "rights for humans"?
Such as the "New Deal" worked for some and not for others, there have been countless government initiatives and few successes attained through them,
"essentially, their benefit becomes their wage" where? in there, is fair?
as for "other benefits" you could be misled, people or at least some of them pay council tax, and for prescriptions, (don't know about free school meals, I have no children) but on that point, I think all school meals for the primary children should be free, perhaps parents (rich and poor) paying for this in other ways.

I don't know what the answer to this is, but I do think that the government and other interested parties should not be taking their frustration out on a generation they themselves went some way to create.
A previous post, mentioned something about the government paying the young women of Britain to "have a baby" the councils differ in different areas but the story is the same regardless of location, "you cannot have a house unless you have a baby" I
mean, what kind of mindless advice is that to a young and vulnerable person? or a young person going for a job..you cannot have this job unless you are in some kind of accommodation, where do you live?

The end result being we have a country full of young mums, who have never worked a day in their lives, picking up child support among other benefits and who are in effect now being "asked" to give up motherhood and go out to "work" for the benefits the government gave them for having a baby.

Britain is in trouble, as a nation.
Britain is seeking ways out,
attacking the young, incapacitated, vulnerable, mentally disabled people of the country is not the answer, its not your fault and its not my fault,

for the government to undertake such a massive task of taking each individual who is picking up benefits of one description or another, they would have to subject those people to further means testing, perhaps, more stringent than those which presently take place, there would have to be in place qualified people, capable of multi tasking, and on whose "opinion" one could rely on,
The government rid themselves of such people over years of closing down businesses / factories / entire industries......Encouraging people left bereft of work to take advantage of the welfare system.....children born into the welfare state,
I could go on................and on, but what is the point, the government will do as it pleases regardless of your thoughts or mine.

pat
08-Dec-08, 21:30
Boss - your following comments - I question

No work of any description on a Sunday, I would not call these people fanatics, I would say they have kept their identity, and their dignity in the face of all adversity in a modern world.

I am not saying, that all people should attend church, but no Sunday opening of any description would be a start (albeit) a small start to recovery of quality family time together, somehow, though I don't see this happening in my lifetime.

My comments -
On the Isle of Lewis the drinking places are certainly open on a Sunday and are very busy.
There is a garage in Stornoway selling petrol, alcohol and all sorts - absolutely packed out on Sunday for the 6 hours it is open.
The sports centres in Lewis are closed but the sports centres operated by the same council in the Uists, Benbecula and Barra (where it is mainly Catholic) are open.
There is more drinking done on a Sunday in Lewis than anybody would believe possible.
Yes they go to church at least twice usually on a Sunday but they appear to go for fear of neighbours and friends pointing the finger as not toeing the line - if you come here you will see the ladies in their fancy hats and the men in dark suits all heading for church on Sundays.
On asking many young folk here in Stornoway what do their parents do on a Sunday the answer is inevitably - go to church, have lunch, have a few drinks, go to bed, get up have more drink until they are drunk then go to bed - I certainly do not consider that is a good example of parenting or a good social environment for young children.
If the council and church allowed the opening of at least the sports centre parents could spend some quality time playing sport or swimming with their children on one of their two days off from work as a family unit..

Boss
08-Dec-08, 21:39
Boss - your following comments - I question

My comments -
On the Isle of Lewis the drinking places are certainly open on a Sunday and are very busy.
There is a garage in Stornoway selling petrol, alcohol and all sorts - absolutely packed out on Sunday for the 6 hours it is open.
The sports centres in Lewis are closed but the sports centres operated by the same council in the Uists, Benbecula and Barra (where it is mainly Catholic) are open.
There is more drinking done on a Sunday in Lewis than anybody would believe possible.
Yes they go to church at least twice usually on a Sunday but they appear to go for fear of neighbours and friends pointing the finger as not toeing the line - if you come here you will see the ladies in their fancy hats and the men in dark suits all heading for church on Sundays.
On asking many young folk here in Stornoway what do their parents do on a Sunday the answer is inevitably - go to church, have lunch, have a few drinks, go to bed, get up have more drink until they are drunk then go to bed - I certainly do not consider that is a good example of parenting or a good social environment for young children.
If the council and church allowed the opening of at least the sports centre parents could spend some quality time playing sport or swimming with their children on one of their two days off from work as a family unit..

I stand corrected.
Perhaps, I am behind with the times, however, I do know a few from the western isles and that is there way of life,
I suppose, I was trying to convey (not very well) that "respect" begins in the home as does discipline, or it should.
Our children are what they have learned.

Sorry :)

squidge
08-Dec-08, 21:49
This isnt necessarily a new idea. During the late eighties, there was a scheme called "Community Programme" Run by the Manpower Services Commision ( they ran the old orange jobcentres and are the predecessor of the soulless Jobcentreplus) People who had been unemployed over 6months were offered places on the scheme. Where i lived the local authority were involved and various charities - Mencap( as it then was) , Age Concern for exmple. It offered work which benefited the community at a variety of levels. Things like gardening, labouring on the Rochdale canal, fencing, cleaning the canal, maintaining the footpaths,

There were supervisor jobs to manage the squads, there were support and development workers and childcare workers, People working in charity shops and allsorts of things. The job lasted for six months I think and it paid a wage (1986 rates of course - labouring 30 hours for £70 per week or thereabouts) The idea was that it gave people recent work experience and references and when unemployment was at 3 million those were very valuable indeed. In practice it often meant that people did their 6 months CP then went back to benefits for 6 months and then back on CP. It did mean that people who would have been the bottom of the pile when looking for the jobs that, at that time were few and far between, actually got some work experience. It also meant that jobs got done in the community that might not get done otherwise. The funding for this came directly from the Government and people were not put to private employers. The big plus for the area i worked in was having the Local Council on board and contributing to the management of the programme. I am not sure the Highland Council would be as accommodating. I doubt it would happen that way again but its maybe worth remembering anyhow.

A9RUNNER
09-Dec-08, 03:26
Benefit payments should never amount to more than minimum wage. That way there is a big incentive to go out and get a job that way they will be better off. If folk are given work to do so they can reatain benefits then I think any method of applying has to be very carefully thought out. There are real genuine cases of folk who cannot work. But I am sure they are rare most folk should be able to do some sort of work.

cuddlepop
09-Dec-08, 09:50
As its just been announced that employers are expecting a recruitment freeze nexy year,just where are these jobs for all the people that are expected to be actively seeking work.:confused

I've been through all of the job sites on Bills recruitment page and have found 3 possible jobs for myself.

These are all part time and in Aberdeen.Catering jobs for HC are now paid term time only and are usually under 16 hours a week which means you dont qualify for tax credits.:(

I found nothing suitable for Oh,unless he gets involved with an agency as a contracts driver and moves to Glasgow.

It is extremy difficult to find work at the moment.:~(

Venture
09-Dec-08, 11:05
Could all these people be genuinely "sick"? I doubt it. Maybe it's just too easy to pick up sick notes nowadays.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1092997/Revealed-The-town-HALF-people-say-sick-work.html

Boss
09-Dec-08, 13:33
This isnt necessarily a new idea. During the late eighties, there was a scheme called "Community Programme" Run by the Manpower Services Commision ( they ran the old orange jobcentres and are the predecessor of the soulless Jobcentreplus) People who had been unemployed over 6months were offered places on the scheme. Where i lived the local authority were involved and various charities - Mencap( as it then was) , Age Concern for exmple. It offered work which benefited the community at a variety of levels. Things like gardening, labouring on the Rochdale canal, fencing, cleaning the canal, maintaining the footpaths,

There were supervisor jobs to manage the squads, there were support and development workers and childcare workers, People working in charity shops and allsorts of things. The job lasted for six months I think and it paid a wage (1986 rates of course - labouring 30 hours for £70 per week or thereabouts) The idea was that it gave people recent work experience and references and when unemployment was at 3 million those were very valuable indeed. In practice it often meant that people did their 6 months CP then went back to benefits for 6 months and then back on CP. It did mean that people who would have been the bottom of the pile when looking for the jobs that, at that time were few and far between, actually got some work experience. It also meant that jobs got done in the community that might not get done otherwise. The funding for this came directly from the Government and people were not put to private employers. The big plus for the area i worked in was having the Local Council on board and contributing to the management of the programme. I am not sure the Highland Council would be as accommodating. I doubt it would happen that way again but its maybe worth remembering anyhow.

I know of some people who did similar work in Renfrewshire.
Many of whom were lucky enough to find fulltime employment afterwards.
I don't think this is bad thing,
but neither do I think it will work so well now.
My reasoning being that the whole country is subsidised in one way or another, there are so many unemployed, out of action due to illness, redundancy, etc
it's mind boggling.

elimac
09-Dec-08, 13:43
I think people should def have to do something for their benefits.

I have never claimed benefits and hope never to have to!!

As for having more and more kids, you should receive extra benefit for a limited amount of kids, maybe 3. How many working families do you know who can afford to have over 3 kids?????

Hi

I agree with you on this one, loads of people struggle with less than 3 kids, never mind them who have 6-8 and are on benifits.... We have 2 and the other half is working and we find it a struggle sometimes, and like you I have never claimed in my life and hopefully will never have too....

:D :D

Vistravi
09-Dec-08, 17:37
I agree that some people should do something for their benefits - even if it is communitywork - picking up rubbish at the side of the road, doing pensionners gardens, painting community fences etc. Why should some people get handouts long term, having never contributed to the taxation system!!

I agree. My younger sister is on jobseekers and housing benefit and doesn't try to get a job. i know jobs are thin on the ground but when i went looking for a second job i applied for more places than she had in three weeks.

I def think that people on benefits esp job seekers should be working for it and not jus taking hand outs. Fair enough some people can't work due to health reasons and because they are carers to someone, but anyone else on benefits who doesn't fall into that category should be working for their money. It isn't fair on us hard working folk who end up paying for it.

Boss
09-Dec-08, 18:14
[quote=Vistravi;468412

I def think that people on benefits esp job seekers should be working for it and not jus taking hand outs. Fair enough some people can't work due to health reasons and because they are carers to someone, but anyone else on benefits who doesn't fall into that category should be working for their money. It isn't fair on us hard working folk who end up paying for it.[/quote]

The waste of taxpayers money lies firmly with the government, and not just under the present PM,
Many factors contribute to this inane waste of YOUR money and the blame does not rest on those who receive state benefits.
A lot of this waste is caused through failed government schemes, failed government proposals and general incompetence within those departments employed by the government !!

The government help business/s by use of subsidies, there is not one single entity that I can think of, off hand who is not in some small way subsidized.
If, as a tax-payer you feel strong enough to put your money where your mouths are, then you should be putting all of your energy into forcing change within the GOVERNMENT, blaming those people, some of whom are the most vulnerable in this country, is no more than a cop out, just like the attitude of Mr. Balls.
http://www.power-to-the-people.co.uk/tag/department-of-work-and-pensions/

Perhaps, a read at this, might just make you think twice.

squidge
10-Dec-08, 00:33
Could all these people be genuinely "sick"? I doubt it. Maybe it's just too easy to pick up sick notes nowadays.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1092997/Revealed-The-town-HALF-people-say-sick-work.html

Hmm The Daily Maill has conveniently picked out a ward in a much larger borough - Falinge - and I know the area well - is a small part of Rochdale and is not anything like a "town" in its own right. 1100 people live here and 500 are on incapacity benefit. It is made up of some of the poorest housing in the Rochdale area and it is where the poorest most hard to help people live. In fact I would go so far as to say its probably the worst most deprived part of Rochdale since they pulled down ashfield valley in the 80's. Falinge is largely dreadful unpleasant flats, high level of drug problems and high ethnic minority population.

Research shows us that health of people correlates directly to the wealth that they have, poor housing, low incomes, poor nutrition, lack of family strutures, poor role models all impact on the health of the population and as Falinge is probably THE poorest ward in the Rochdale Council area and has the worst housing - damp, high density, poor amenities, - then its not the least bit surprising that it should have a high level of people on incapacity benefit. In fact I am surprised its not higher. If you doubt what i say is true then have a look at Blacks inequalities in health report. Published in 1980 it remains true today as successive governments have failed to tackle the issues it raised.

Is it easy to get a sick note? Sometimes and this should be looked at, although i dont know whether its something that can be resolved - i doubt it. Is it easy to look at someone and know they are lying, playing a fast one and playing the system - no it isnt. The answer is not however to make ill people work, it is to cut down on those defrauding the system out of money by deliberately saying they are ill when they are not. How you tell them apart is not a question to which i have the answer.

cuddlepop
10-Dec-08, 21:09
Just how are people on benefits going to feel if they are forced to do Community Service?
Is this now what they call the alternative to prison.?:confused

Or is the government indending to criminilise benefit recipients.

Interesting to note that Glasgow has been choosing to pilot this new scheme.

Boss
11-Dec-08, 12:46
Just how are people on benefits going to feel if they are forced to do Community Service?
Is this now what they call the alternative to prison.?:confused

Or is the government indending to criminilise benefit recipients.

Interesting to note that Glasgow has been choosing to pilot this new scheme.

Scotland, is always chosen to be the first "to try any pilot scheme"
Glasgow, probably is the worst and best place to choose.

Personally, I cannot see it working, Scottish people in general will fight, rather than take flight or be coerced by anyone.