PDA

View Full Version : Paraffin

porshiepoo
03-Dec-08, 16:33
Does anyone know where to get Paraffin from and what the prices are?
I'm thinking of getting a Paraffin heater for my Greenhouse just for the really bad nights but I haven't a clue where to get the fuel.
Cheers

Scunner
03-Dec-08, 16:47
lots of condensation with paraffin

Amowat
03-Dec-08, 16:48
Hi you can buy paraffin in Serendipity in Thurso. Hope this helps.

Bad Manners
03-Dec-08, 16:49
They sell it by the gallon bottle in Homebase at wick last time I looked it was around £5.50 a bottle hope this is of some help

reddevil
03-Dec-08, 16:55
I'm thinking of getting a Paraffin heater for my Greenhouse just for the really bad nights but I haven't a clue where to get the fuel.
Cheers
i tried paraffin in my greenhouse,worse mistake i made,its smelly,not that great a heat,and the glass was dripping wet,i use a small oil heater which is perfect and you can get them cheap in argos or homebase,hope it helps.

Iffy
05-Dec-08, 15:33
Sorry, I'm no help at all to you, but just wanted to say that I LOVE the smell of paraffin and have done since I was a child when my Dad used it in the greenhouse!!

If I didn't know it can be a lethal substance, I would happily sit and smell paraffin all day long !!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Scunner
05-Dec-08, 16:19
I use a mini greenhouse inside the greenhouse to winter frost tender plants. Seems to work ok and then I use it for seedlings in the spring before hardening them off on the open benches and putting them in the coldframe

bodach
05-Dec-08, 21:09
£8 a gallon or 5l or whatever in Howdens, Inverness

percy toboggan
05-Dec-08, 23:34
Whatever happened to 'Esso Blue'
...they asked me how I knew..it was Esso Blue...
folks of a certain age might remember.

(and the batteries...I told 'em Oldham')

TBH
05-Dec-08, 23:37

You could tell by the smell it was "Esso Blue".

wifie
06-Dec-08, 01:23

Nooooooo! I must be of a certain age now! [disgust]

Beat Bug
06-Dec-08, 07:03
Then there was the song that was the ad. Boom boom boom boom Esso Blue!! Ah yes, I remember it well!!

nicnak
06-Dec-08, 07:06
hey there
you can buy at Homebase, and also at the garage just going into wick but it is an expensive form of heating
hope it helps
x

poppett
06-Dec-08, 16:29
Paraffin Dan used to bring ours to the door!

Think Percy has the start of a new thread there....... Memory land of adverts?

captain chaos
07-Dec-08, 00:50
If you know any one with oil central heating (kerosene) its just paraffin , the 28 sec stuff not the 35 second oil(diesel) heating.

Last load I had was around 40p per litre. Works out around £2 a gallon

Bill Fernie
07-Dec-08, 09:34
By chance we are getting of two paraffin heaters we have had for many years. If you want one get in touch very soon and you can have one for free. As others have said they do create a lot of condensation on the glass. But if you want to try one then you can pick up from my house.

Bill

Cheers

porshiepoo
07-Dec-08, 19:53
Hey Bill. Thanks so much for the offer but I think I'm going to look at some other form of heating after all. I don't want to risk the condensation.

Thanks again.

thebigman
08-Dec-08, 01:19
For every gallon of paraffin you burn you'll get a gallon of water into the atmosphere. Calor gas fires not much better as folk find out when they try to dry out rooms with them.

George Brims
08-Dec-08, 20:10
Paraffin or Calor gas fires are a great (though slow) way to strip wallpaper off a room. Of course it's covered in black spots by the time it comes off.

Bill Fernie
08-Dec-08, 21:52
Hey Bill. Thanks so much for the offer but I think I'm going to look at some other form of heating after all. I don't want to risk the condensation.

Thanks again.

Fine. Oddly I discovered the old instruction manual for the heaters on Sunday in a clear out and it will also now be heading for the recycling centre with the heaters shortly.