PDA

View Full Version : i keep losing the internet connection

benelast
01-Dec-08, 20:25
i've just moved into a new house and every time someone uses the phone while im online, i lose the internet connection.
the computer is plugged into the master phone socket via the appropriate filter for broadband.
everything works perfectley until someone uses the phone. anybody got any ideas?

blueivy
01-Dec-08, 20:47
i've just moved into a new house and every time someone uses the phone while im online, i lose the internet connection.
the computer is plugged into the master phone socket via the appropriate filter for broadband.
everything works perfectley until someone uses the phone. anybody got any ideas?

The problem is your ADSL filter.

Your ADSL filter only works for devices plugged into it. If the phone that is being picked up is plugged into the filter, there should be no problems as the filter is working for it. If the phone that is being picked up is hard wired into the master socket, then the filter isn't doing anything. You will need to put an ADSL filter on the socket the phone plugs into.

benelast
01-Dec-08, 21:16
The problem is your ADSL filter.

Your ADSL filter only works for devices plugged into it. If the phone that is being picked up is plugged into the filter, there should be no problems as the filter is working for it. If the phone that is being picked up is hard wired into the master socket, then the filter isn't doing anything. You will need to put an ADSL filter on the socket the phone plugs into.

thanks very much. where can i get another filter from

blueivy
01-Dec-08, 21:26
thanks very much. where can i get another filter from

Argos and Tesco should have them. If you're in Thurso, JekTec should have them. If you want to get them online just about everywhere that sells ADSL hardware will have them.

benelast
01-Dec-08, 21:30
Argos and Tesco should have them. If you're in Thurso, JekTec should have them. If you want to get them online just about everywhere that sells ADSL hardware will have them.

cheers, thanks for your help

pottheed
10-Dec-08, 22:57
not allways tho - could be the extention in the premeses a faulty socket, but if the new filter doesnt work your best bet is ring bt 0800800151

Bobinovich
10-Dec-08, 23:49
Only problem with phoning BT is that if it turns out that the problem is within your house (i.e. after the master socket) then you will get charged a hefty (£120 ish I believe) sum for calling them out. The most common reason in my experience, and as BlueIvy states, is either a faulty ADSL filter or incorrectly fitted filter(s) and/or phone extension(s).

It might be better asking someone familiar with this type of problem to take a look first before calling BT out.