PDA

View Full Version : Scrooge IS alive and well

brokencross
30-Nov-08, 11:17
Don't councils have better things to enforce. Wonder what prison food is like at Christmas.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1090463/Scrooge-council-chiefs-send-spies-make-sure-hairdressers-dont-hand-Christmas-wine.html

gleeber
30-Nov-08, 12:03
I tend to agree with the council.
Why should alcohol be associated with a festive spirit? Why not get a piano player in and sing carols?
Alcohol is a very serious social problem and it's about time people became more aware of the dangers.
I understand all about the romance associated with a wee sherry or a nice glass of wine but these tipples are an extremely dangerous drug and the licensing authority has a responsability to control it's distribution.

Bad Manners
30-Nov-08, 12:10
I find it hard to believe that they would enforce this after all they are not selling it it is after all a celebratory drink. So if a boss gives his workers a drink he is breaking the law? Almost every company I have worked for gave alcahol as gifts and a bottle was opened and a toast to the year end given Have I inadvertidly broken the law?
I do hope this is a wind up and that a council what ever council has far better things to do than this maybe just maybe they even toast a little celebration at their own offices

badger
30-Nov-08, 13:17
While I think this is overkill and nothing to do with Licensing Laws (or shouldn't be) do they ask their customers if they're going to drive I wonder? Personally I'm sick to death of our pathetic attitude to alcohol and the number of otherwise responsible people who think it's OK to have a drink or two and still drive especially if they're not eating with it. Stick to the coffee and let them pull a cracker with their customers if they want to be festive.

Kodiak
30-Nov-08, 13:45
As the Law stands it is against the Law, :-

A spokesman said under the 2003 Licensing Act ‘sale by retail’ includes providing alcohol to customers as part of the service

So it seems to me the Council are in the right for once. At least they took the time to warn the Salon's, just imagine if they had not and then the owner of a Salon was charged and fined for handing out Wine to Customers.

So in this case I say well done to the Council, not very often I say that. :Razz

brokencross
30-Nov-08, 13:49
Alcohol is a very serious social problem and it's about time people became more aware of the dangers.

While I think this is overkill and nothing to do with Licensing Laws (or shouldn't be) do they ask their customers if they're going to drive I wonder?

Both very valid points, however for the actions of a small irresponsible minority group who abuse alcohol, the majority of sensible folks who enjoy a Christmas tipple are to be deprived of the pleasure.

Blind eye and Nelson spring to mind regarding the council and enforcement

badger
30-Nov-08, 14:03
Thanks for pointing that out Kodiak - must admit I didn't read right through so it seems the Council had no choice.

Brokencross - wish it was a small irresponsible minority but it's not. Practically every crime reported in our local paper is alcohol related; drivers accused of drink-driving often say they thought they were OK especially if drinking the night before; hospitals are full of the consequences of too much drink to say nothing of staff being abused; masses of police time is wasted. Even normally responsible people see nothing wrong in a drink or two before driving and hosts fill glasses without considering their guests may be driving home.

So - unless the hairdressers are offering taxis as well, let them stick to something non-alcoholic.

Gizmo
30-Nov-08, 14:35
As the Law stands it is against the Law, :-

So it seems to me the Council are in the right for once. At least they took the time to warn the Salon's, just imagine if they had not and then the owner of a Salon was charged and fined for handing out Wine to Customers.

So in this case I say well done to the Council, not very often I say that. :Razz

Surely then this law can be bypassed by having a sign that states 'Not part of the service provided, but feel free to help yourself'

brandy
30-Nov-08, 14:55
i dont drink, but i think its a bit silly.
i mean its not like people are drinking enough to be over the limit are they?
does a glass of mulled wine even have enough alchol in it to register?
so im guessing no one should have a glass of wine with tea either?
so does this include things like friends and family nights where they offer cheese and wine to guests?
what about all the other shops that hold promotions and give out free samples?
it seems just a bit silly to me.
is the council loosing out on something, alittle extra tax or something the shops are not paying by giving away a drink?
what about all the clubs ect.. that will be having drinks and snacks when they are gathering?
as a member of a club you are paying to be there, but getting a free glass of wine during the festivities, will they get in trouble?
i wonder if the coucil ever do anything or go anywhere and are offered a free drink?

brokencross
30-Nov-08, 16:21
Thanks for pointing that out Kodiak - must admit I didn't read right through so it seems the Council had no choice.

Brokencross - wish it was a small irresponsible minority but it's not. Practically every crime reported in our local paper is alcohol related; drivers accused of drink-driving often say they thought they were OK especially if drinking the night before; hospitals are full of the consequences of too much drink to say nothing of staff being abused; masses of police time is wasted. Even normally responsible people see nothing wrong in a drink or two before driving and hosts fill glasses without considering their guests may be driving home.

So - unless the hairdressers are offering taxis as well, let them stick to something non-alcoholic.

Point taken

brandy
30-Nov-08, 16:30
just to note as ive just reread my post. i am not condoning drink driving or heavy drinking or violence or anything of the ilk.. just that a single glass of mulled wine, taken in the spirit of the season is not the same as going out on the drink. i am totally against drink driving and heavy drinking in general. at the same time im not a complete prude.. (no matter what some may say *G* )
on a happier note! its officially dec. tomorrow! so let the festive time begin!
MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!