View Full Version : Swimming pools closures

robbain
26-Nov-08, 20:23
Swimming pools under threat

closures would be crazy,say angry campaigners
Swimming pools could face axe in Highlands

By Iain Ramage

Published: 26/11/2008

Campaigners reacted angrily last night after it emerged that some of Highland Council’s 13 swimming pools may be closed in a drive to slash its budget.

They claimed the move would be “crazy” and would fly in the face of Scottish Government policy on promoting healthy lifestyles.

The council dismissed suggestions that rural schools may also be axed as it tries to balance its books.

But the authority said all its services had been asked to assess what impact a 5% spending reduction would have on them.

The education, culture and sport department – which is responsible for half the local authority’s current £569million budget – has the heftiest target saving of £10.5million, having already made £17.5million of cutbacks over the last three years.

The council has swimming pools at Alness, Culloden, Dingwall, Fort William, Golspie, Grantown, Invergordon, Nairn, Portree, Tain, Thurso, Ullapool and Wick, but it was unclear which venues might be considered for disposal.

The prospect of any pool closures horrified swimmers, including 69-year-old international medallist Sandra Lea from Inverness, who with fellow club member Nancy Scott has dominated competitive racing at masters events around the world.

She said: “We’re already short of swimming pools now. We have made representation at the university campus meeting to try and make sure it was a 50-metre pool at the new campus. To axe what we’ve already got would be crazy.”

Stuart Edmond, who led a campaign to secure council support for building a pool on the Black Isle, said: “In some areas there is perhaps over-provision, with pools for example at Tain, Alness, Invergordon and Dingwall.

“I would have thought the government’s aim was to make us healthier and fitter, and that should be an overriding consideration rather than cutting back on these facilities.”

Black Isle councillor Billy Barclay said: “I wouldn’t like to see swimming pools being cut because we can’t cope with demand for them as it is.”

The council’s budget leader, David Alston, dismissed leaked reports that up to 10 pools could close and some schools could shut or merge.

He said: “We’re treating all services the same and we’re asking all directors and chairmen to look at what a 5% saving would mean. We hope there will be some flexibility in that figure, but we will still have some difficult decisions to make.”

It emerged in September that the council was facing an estimated £19.6million budget gap next year – largely due to a soaring electricity bill – and a £15.1million shortfall the following year.

Mr Alston warned at the time of service cuts and possible job losses.

The power bill is expected to double after a three-year contract with a supplier expires in March.

Education committee vice-chairman Drew Millar, a Skye and Raasay councillor and budget group member, suggested Inverness and the surrounding areas took the brunt of any service cuts.

“If we’re looking at a reduction in facilities then, in my opinion, it would make sense to look at the Inner Moray Firth area where facilities are in abundance and within a reasonable travelling distance,” he said.
job fears

“I would be looking at swimming pools and libraries, and there may be an opportunity for amalgamating urban schools.”

The crisis has fuelled job fears. But while union officials would not pre-empt the budget, resources committee chairwoman Carolyn Wilson was confident there would be no impact on frontline services in housing, property and finance.

She said: “Highland Council in the past has been very good about managing jobs and we are aware that we are looking at a tough budget. I think it’s all about working smarter and doing the job more efficiently.”

Housing and social work chairwoman Margaret Davidson was upbeat, pointing to an additional £1million for home-care services and a £400,000 two-year investment in foster care.

John Finnie, leader of the opposition SNP group, warned against “spreading fear and alarm”.

The budget business group will continue its deliberations this week.

The group’s proposals will be debated by an all-party budget working group on December 4, prior to a public airing at the next full council meeting on December 18.

cuddlepop
26-Nov-08, 22:11
I've just mentiones similar in a thread about new community school.

People should really be worried about this proposal as HC budget is predicted to be £25 million in the red.Efficiency savings have and will be met.
Aberdeen Council was only the start of the Councils in Scotland in melt down.

Some of the pools mentioned wont be touched,Portree PPFI funded and some of the pools ie Tain are part of a school complex.

Please beieve me when I say I fear for one of your pools up North.get your pressure groups in motion now.
It may even now be too late.:(

Gizmo
26-Nov-08, 22:54
I will 100% throw all the toys out the pram if those %@#$&^*# close my favourite place, i have no idea how to go about starting an action group but if anyone reading this is planning on starting one then please contact me, i have no problem with kidnapping the head of Sport & Recreation and holding him as ransom:evil

Alice in Blunderland
27-Nov-08, 00:21
I will 100% throw all the toys out the pram if those %@#$&^*# close my favourite place, i have no idea how to go about starting an action group but if anyone reading this is planning on starting one then please contact me, i have no problem with kidnapping the head of Sport & Recreation and holding him as ransom:evil

That wont work they could save his salary if you keep him. :lol: Lots of action groups were formed a few years ago when tey threatened the nurserys. Thrumster against Nursery Closure ( TANC ) was our one. :)

starry
27-Nov-08, 00:31
Just as well the nursery wasn't in Wick ;)

I think it is awful that they are even considering closure of any swimming pools.
We have the highest levels of obese children in years, it just seems beyond stupid to reduce the number of pools available to the community.

I agree that Aberdeen was just the begining, I am amazed daily by how much money our councils waste and it has to come to a head something, and sure as night follows day it will be at our expense.

Tilter
27-Nov-08, 22:53
Just when I finally get the time to go swimming 2 or 3 times a week this happens.

Would they really close Wick and Thurso when the schools use them?

Count me in on an action group if/when necessary.

tracy ann
27-Nov-08, 22:56
Surely this goes totally against the government push for healthy living, cutting obesity etc It would be terrable if this was to happen - surely not an option!

Bobinovich
27-Nov-08, 23:52
As a regular user of both pools along with my kids you can count me in for any action group too if it transpires that either is in the firing line :(.

sweetpea
28-Nov-08, 00:32
Just as well the nursery wasn't in Wick ;)

I think it is awful that they are even considering closure of any swimming pools.
We have the highest levels of obese children in years, it just seems beyond stupid to reduce the number of pools available to the community.

I agree that Aberdeen was just the begining, I am amazed daily by how much money our councils waste and it has to come to a head something, and sure as night follows day it will be at our expense.

Agree with what you say apart from the obesity argument.

Bad Manners
28-Nov-08, 09:50
We all expect every service and yet most take no great interest in what the council does they only take notice when it is a service that affects them. I am not getting at anyone in particular it is a general observation.
The council wastes money attending meetings that have nothing to do with their area translating signage into gaelic the list goes on. I agree that the swiming pools shoud not be closed because they are an expence that benifits the people I just think it is time we protested loudly at the councils waste of money. the council do some very good work and for that they have to be commended but they also waste money on a large scale. We as the people employ the council and as such we should be watching what they spend our money on and why.
Sorry for the rant I do hope they dont close the pools and if there is an action count me in