PDA

View Full Version : Cotoneaster

Liz
25-Nov-08, 23:26
We have this as a hedge but it has never produced flowers (well a few) or berries and wonder why?

It has never been pruned (just tidied up) so can't understand what the problem is?

It makes good shelter for the birds but disappointed that it doesn't provide them with the berries for food in the winter.:(

Anji
26-Nov-08, 17:50
Liz, could it be that when you 'tidy it up' you are cutting off the branches the flowers would grow on? Maybe you should try leaving it untidy for a year and see if that helps. Good luck.

Liz
26-Nov-08, 20:21
Thanks for your reply.

It has been left 'untidy' for well over a year now but still nothing.:(

Tighsonas4
28-Nov-08, 22:32
we have had it for years and its only this last couple of years that its really come into its own tony

Kenn
28-Nov-08, 22:53
I chop mine back real hard early spring which encourages new growth and plenty of flowers followed by berries although with the shorter season in the north not quite sure when would be a good time to prune.
Down here the birds seem to ignore the glut of berries GRRRRRR.

Liz
28-Nov-08, 23:17
we have had it for years and its only this last couple of years that its really come into its own tony

Ah well there is hope yet! Cheers Tony. Do you trim it at all or just leave it?

I chop mine back real hard early spring which encourages new growth and plenty of flowers followed by berries although with the shorter season in the north not quite sure when would be a good time to prune.
Down here the birds seem to ignore the glut of berries GRRRRRR.

I think if we pruned ours back it would take forever to grow back as it took years to grow to the height it is. Not sure what type of Cotoneaster it is but it doesn't have the dark green shiny leaves of the other Cotoneaster we have in the garden.
Yes I have noticed berries in the wild going untouched by birds as well. Wonder why?