PDA

View Full Version : clydesdale horses

Fran
25-Nov-08, 02:31
Does anyone own clydesdale horses on here? I am concerned about one. Their coats are very thin, shouldnt they be wearing a coat in this weather and shouldnt they have shelter at night? Would appreciate replies from someone who is experienced with these beauties as i am rather concerned.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
25-Nov-08, 10:43
not that ive had a clydesdale before but generally they are pretty hairy adn hardy no?

Having said that my shire x has a medium weight rug on!!

binbob
25-Nov-08, 11:15
if there is any doubt about their welfare...call the SSPCA

jings00
25-Nov-08, 11:43
better to be safe than sorry, fone the sspca, they could advise or have a wee look. and if they are okay, no harm no foul......

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
25-Nov-08, 13:54
don't be too hasty - can you not approach the owner - does it have plenty to eat and water ??

neepnipper
25-Nov-08, 14:04
Trying to pm you, can you empty your in box.

divanp75
26-Nov-08, 19:31
don't be too hasty - can you not approach the owner - does it have plenty to eat and water ??

I agree dont be too hasty. Someone sent the SPCA to my house before. It is a lot nicer to talk to the owner and then the owner can tell you what is what.

Not all horse or ponies want or need rugs, especially native breeds, they are bred to live out without additional help.

attidude9464
26-Nov-08, 20:24
Sometimes it is very difficult for an individual to approach the owner of an animal and express their concerns. They are scared of a back lash.

Boss
26-Nov-08, 20:31
Does anyone own clydesdale horses on here? I am concerned about one. Their coats are very thin, shouldnt they be wearing a coat in this weather and shouldnt they have shelter at night? Would appreciate replies from someone who is experienced with these beauties as i am rather concerned.

We have two, the short answer is they should have a thick coat by this time,
Shelter is desirable in extremely bad weather but really these beasts are equipped to cope, we house ours in very bad weather, often though, our horses would rather be out.
Hope this helps.
Please let us know.

groatsgirl
28-Nov-08, 02:54
I have a Clydesdale , he lives out all winter i do rug him if the weather is going to be really bad & he does have walls he can get behind to shelter from the wind , rain or snow ! He would much rather be outside than in a stable i find he gets really board inside . He also has large bales of hay so he's able to eat as much as he wants as well as hard feed during the winter, if i were you i would speak to the owner rather than call the sspca & if they dont show any interest in your concerns then do something about it , i would then report them to the ILPH.

attidude9464
28-Nov-08, 15:31
May I suggest that you contact the SSPCA first before trying to get other agencies Involved. The ILPH field officer lives near Aberdeen and it would be a shame to hawl him up all this way if there was nothing wrong with the horse. On numerous occasions the SSPCA and ILPH do joint visits and rely on each other to investigate concerns that people have for horses.

wickchick
28-Nov-08, 17:52
I would contact the SSPCA, only because they do not always contact the owner to look at the animal.

The SSPCA warden will visit the horse and access the situation i.e. is there enough forage, water, shelter and then the overall condition of the horse. At this time of the year most horses that live outside dont look as well as they would in the summer.

If the condition of the horse does not cause the warden alarm, they shall keep an eye incase the horses condition gets worse its then that they will step in and talk to the owner, who might be inexperiance horse owner and will be thankful of the advice!

Trosk
28-Nov-08, 19:51
The British Horse Society also have a welfare officer based in Caithness and details can be found on their website. I reckon I would not be keen to tackle an owner myself - more often than not it wouldnt go down well. If I thought an animal was suffering, I would call in welfare without hesitation to check it out. If owners are looking after their animals properly, they should have nothing to fear from a welfare visit.

lsb1
28-Nov-08, 21:08
Hi
We have a clydesdale. I know that they are the biggest of the native breeds but out particular gelding does not get a very thick winter coat, so we do put a rug on him and personally I think he winters really well. When the weather is really windy and wet we do put him into his stable. I think he really likes to go in then. If they are to be wintered out as long as they are well fed with plenty of ad lib hay and maybe a rug and some natural shelter they should be fine.