PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Duty increase

Kodiak
24-Nov-08, 17:02
Mr Darling has just announced that he is going to reduce VAT to 15%.

Since this will reduce the price of Petrol and fuel he will be increasing the Duty on Petrol and Fuel to compensate the reduction of VAT.

What was the Point???

footie chick
24-Nov-08, 17:06
A better option would have been to remove the V.A.T. from gas, oil electricity etc.

sphinx
24-Nov-08, 17:31
how about cutting there huge salarys for start and putting people there its in charge with normal salarys that would be a big help to the people the goverment new what woz happing and did nothing as usual.

Gizmo
24-Nov-08, 17:33
It's as simple as this, the money for any decrease in VAT has to come from somewhere, all he is doing is moving money from here to there and hoping that people are too stupid to realise.

emszxr
24-Nov-08, 17:39
i am waiting for the day they put the vat back up but i think it will go higher than the 17.5% it was.

sphinx
24-Nov-08, 17:41
the goverment are all liars telling you what you want to here give them all hard labour...........................:lol:

muffin
24-Nov-08, 17:54
The change in VAT will make about 20p difference to my shopping as I will not have to pay VAT on dog food and my little chocolate treats, any ideas as to what I should do with my extra 20p ????

Bad Manners
24-Nov-08, 17:57
As usual it's the haves the get the benefit those that but luxury items will save more those that need fuel to heat their house etc will recieve no benefit. When the country is in crisis we give benefit to the well off and the hard working masses have to pay the rest

Kodiak
24-Nov-08, 17:57
Donate it to the Red Cross or some other worthy Charity. :Razz

Aaldtimer
24-Nov-08, 17:58
Don't spend it all in the one shop...spread your munificence around a bit! [lol]

Bad Manners
24-Nov-08, 18:09
A better option would have been to remove the V.A.T. from gas, oil electricity etc.
I would go along with that it would help big business as well as the ordinary man. businesses would be able to reduce their costs consumers would be able to afford items and in this way would help to keep people employed.
But then with my ten million in the bank am I bovered

MadPict
24-Nov-08, 18:12
We'll all pay for it in the end....

Tristan
24-Nov-08, 20:20
Pathetic that they reduce the tax you don't have to use VAT and increase the one you do Fuel Duty...sigh

JoeSoap
24-Nov-08, 20:45
We'll all pay for it in the end....
Of course we will... three times.

Once when businesses pass on the costs to their customers that they are about to incur changing their various finance systems to the adjusted VAT rate.

Again when the Government decides that the economy has improved enough for them to start recouping their losses.

And a third time when businesses pass on the costs to their customers that they will incur when they have to revert their finance systems back to 17.5% (or whatever the new figure ends up being).

The economy is in crisis and something does need to be done... but is this the right move? I'm not sure. I'd be interested to see what figures the Government has for how much this 'tax cut' is going to cost the businesses it is supposed to be helping. :confused

MadPict
24-Nov-08, 21:14
Reducing VAT by 2.5% is not going to get me out the door and spending money nor, I suspect, will it encourage others.

People are going to hold onto their money with the uncertainty of exactly how bad things might get...

Mik.M.
24-Nov-08, 23:11
Reducing VAT by 2.5% is not going to get me out the door and spending money nor, I suspect, will it encourage others.

People are going to hold onto their money with the uncertainty of exactly how bad things might get...
Quite true MadPict,but there will always be the stupid ones who will go out and spend money they don`t have on credit cards and loans. People need to learn that it doesn`t matter how you borrow it,you still have to pay it back!

Dynamic Sounds
25-Nov-08, 16:12
Thought for the day.
Say you buy something from a supermarket that has VAT on in and today it costs £9.99
This is made up of £8.50 in the cost of the item, and £1.49 in VAT

From next monday the VAT should be £1.28 (rounded up)
Do you think that the total cost of the item will be £9.78, or still be £9.99, making the supermarkets more profit?

Call me a cynique but........

Connor.
25-Nov-08, 17:33
Businesses can claim back the VAT on fuel (if VAT registered), but not the fuel duty itself. So that's the cost of delivering everything to your local Tesco (other supermarkets are available) just gone up by 2½% - guess who's gonna end up picking up the tab for that?

MadPict
25-Nov-08, 17:34
Got an email from Petrolprices.com about this highway robbery!
Comment and vote!

http://www.petrolprices.com/blog/fuel-prices-to-rise-as-motorist-hit-with-p-duty-increase-106.html

Kodiak
25-Nov-08, 18:20
Got an email from Petrolprices.com about this highway robbery!
Comment and vote!

http://www.petrolprices.com/blog/fuel-prices-to-rise-as-motorist-hit-with-p-duty-increase-106.html

Thanks for this link and you will not need to guess more than once to know which way I voted. :lol: