PDA

View Full Version : Help... electrickery!

Tugmistress
21-Nov-08, 20:57
ok i admit i am a serious scaredy cat when it comes to electrickery! i hate it with a passion! but i need help please :roll:

had my meter changed a couple of weeks back, but noticed i was freezing in a morning (i have storage heaters) but thought nothing of it as i wasn't sure the timer had been set right before anyway.... yesterday on a day off i noticed the storage heaters were 'charging up' at 10am, definately wrong so rung hydro and they kindly sent someone out yesterday afternoon ... got up for work this morning, nice and toastie ... yippeeee i thought, sorted :) ... wrong! got in tonight and the heaters were on charging up again! rung leccy board and they can't get anyone out until tuesday [evil] mean while i am sat here melting! all i can think of doing is turning them off at the plug until i go to bed and see what happens overnight and tomorrow, bloke on phone said to ring again tomorrow between 8 and 2 if the problem still happens but if it's heating up twice a day now i wont have a clue until tomorrow night again!
someone want to tell me how to check the timer thingy? it's outside and in the dark but willing to brave the weather to get it right lol

Bad Manners
21-Nov-08, 21:19
The Timer is sealed and only the hydro can gain access to it. It is an offence to tamper with it.
You can look through the top of it and see what time it is set for.
Not much help I know but it's the only advice I can offer. hope you get it sorted soon.

Bobinovich
21-Nov-08, 21:21
Hey Tuggs

I'm on the Total Heating Total Control tarrif which automatically switches the storage heaters on & off a couple of times a day - I take it you've not moved over to it?

Other than that there should be the option on the timer switch to choose one or more on-off timings. If you can take a quick gander at the make/model of the timer switch then I could have a stab at it if you like.

EDIT: Just seen BM's post - if that's the case then you're stuffed until they sort it - sorry! :(

Tugmistress
21-Nov-08, 21:24
Hey Tuggs

I'm on the Total Heating Total Control tarrif which automatically switches the storage heaters on & off a couple of times a day - I take it you've not moved over to it?

Other than that there should be the option on the timer switch to choose one or more on-off timings. If you can take a quick gander at the make/model of the timer switch then I could have a stab at it if you like.

EDIT: Just seen BM's post - if that's the case then you're stuffed until they sort it - sorry! :(

I have not a clue what tarriff i'm on, all i know is i am supposed to get 'cheap' electrickery between something like 11pm and 7am or thereabouts, so i would assume the heaters shouldn't come on at this time of day :(

i'll see if i can find a torch and see what i can see and post back in a wee whilie :)

oh poo..... sealed

what a pain! may just ring them back tomorrow anyway between their opening times, it ain't going to sort itself out that's for sure so i would assume it'll still be up the creek tomorrow night, i dread to think how much this will cost me!

anneoctober
21-Nov-08, 21:25
ok i admit i am a serious scaredy cat when it comes to electrickery! i hate it with a passion! but i need help please :roll:

had my meter changed a couple of weeks back, but noticed i was freezing in a morning (i have storage heaters) but thought nothing of it as i wasn't sure the timer had been set right before anyway.... yesterday on a day off i noticed the storage heaters were 'charging up' at 10am, definately wrong so rung hydro and they kindly sent someone out yesterday afternoon ... got up for work this morning, nice and toastie ... yippeeee i thought, sorted ... wrong! got in tonight and the heaters were on charging up again! rung leccy board and they can't get anyone out until tuesday mean while i am sat here melting! all i can think of doing is turning them off at the plug until i go to bed and see what happens overnight and tomorrow, bloke on phone said to ring again tomorrow between 8 and 2 if the problem still happens but if it's heating up twice a day now i wont have a clue until tomorrow night again!
someone want to tell me how to check the timer thingy? it's outside and in the dark but willing to brave the weather to get it right lol
Tugs, get your bikini on whip oot e sunglasses and lie back wi a book and malibu on e rocks. DONT spoil id by lookan oot e window............. :cool: [lol]

Tugmistress
21-Nov-08, 21:28
Tugs, get your bikini on whip oot e sunglasses and lie back wi a book and malibu on e rocks. DONT spoil id by lookan oot e window............. :cool: [lol]

hahaha, i'm not saying what i'm sat here wearing, but i will say it's NOT my padded boiler suit hahahaha

Nibbler
21-Nov-08, 22:10
Hi Tuggs

I have been having e opposite when e little one has been having her high temps. E heating has been switched off and I am wrapped up like an eskimo and she is sitting in her nappy roasting!!!

Touch wood, its been a fortnight now since her last bout and e doc put her on antibiotics e last time (well, three bouts in four weeks is a bit much) so lets hope that is the end of that.

Hope e animals are okay??

Seriously though, if there is a big charge and it is was down to something the electrickery lot have done, they should foot the bill. There is no way you should be out of pocket for this :mad:!!

P.S. Need to get organised for another drink. Mid December okay for you??? Other half should be home on the 9th. :)

Kodiak
21-Nov-08, 22:18
Tugmistress, I have nothing but Storage Heaters and on all my Heaters there is a Input control. Do you have this? If you do then turn this down and this will lower the heat of the Storage Heater, it will take a while to cool down shoudl do so.

dessie
22-Nov-08, 21:04
TUGS.. hunny please forget about the bikini..you dont want to frighten anyone...lol...catch you in the quiz on sunday...:Razz

Angel
22-Nov-08, 21:52
One thing you should be made aware off is while they are on during peak times... you are paying peak money...
If the hydro are resposible for the upset in the system then they should reduce you payment at a minimum...
Just thought you ought to know...

Angel...

Julia
22-Nov-08, 21:59
I'm on THTC tariff, my storage heaters boost twice a day during the daytime and once overnight.

The time when the boost kicks in is different everyday as it's controlled by satelite, the Hydro can't predict what time your boost comes on, it's just when there is a lull apparently. They can however tell you when your boosts were the previous day.

I watch for the wee light coming on and run and shove on the washing machine, tumble dryer or dish washer to take advantage of the cheaper rate which is about 9+p per kw compared to the norm rate of 16+p.

Tugmistress
22-Nov-08, 23:34
Well i rang again today as they seem to be on constantly, even a bikini is too much! lmao
anyway, the upshot is that they are sending someone out on tuesday to take a look as they think the timer has stuck on and as the heating is on it isn't a priority fair enough i understand that) and for now they have credited my account with £20.
so... i am manually turning the switches on and off and melting nicely:roll:

young_fishin_neep
22-Nov-08, 23:54
must be hot in the house for you to be complaining its to hot, id agree with dessie no bakini you dont want to frighten the world..... just imagine if the front rooom curtains were open and you walked past the window and your reflection came on the window then onto the webcam.... goshhh it just sends shivers down my spine :P

hope you get problem sorted out soon my dog aint used to the heat..... btw i gotta fone you and ask you a big favour mum

xxxxxx

anneoctober
22-Nov-08, 23:55
Everyone over to Tuggs now wi your chocolate, marshmallows & strawberries............................ :cool:[lol]

Bobinovich
23-Nov-08, 00:18
Sounds kinky - I'm in :lol: