PDA

View Full Version : Hot water bottle or electric blanket?

Fluff
21-Nov-08, 16:41
I need some advise please, our bedroom can get pretty chilly so we have been using hot water bottles at the moment but I am concerned that this is going to work out quite expensive what with having to boil the kettle.

We have been thinking about getting an electric blanket, but can anyone tell me which is generally cheaper, an electric blanket or hot water bottles?

Our heating is electric btw, thanks in advance :)

muffin
21-Nov-08, 17:23
I think it depends how long you leave the electric blanket on, if you can find the power rating for both, that would be the wattage, a kettle using 2 kilowatts (2000 watts) for 3 minutes would be equivalent to say 200 watts for 30 minutes if that was the power rating of the electric blanket.

highlander
21-Nov-08, 17:24
Cuddles are free, and then stick your cold feet on him lol

Angela
21-Nov-08, 17:33
I've never been a fan of electric blankets -they make me feel overly warm.

A few weeks ago I was using two hot water bottles, but since rehoming a little cat who sleeps on my bed, I've not needed any at all! :D

I wonder if the microwaveable gel filled bottles would work out cheaper than boiling the kettle? :confused

EDDIE
21-Nov-08, 18:02
I need some advise please, our bedroom can get pretty chilly so we have been using hot water bottles at the moment but I am concerned that this is going to work out quite expensive what with having to boil the kettle.

We have been thinking about getting an electric blanket, but can anyone tell me which is generally cheaper, an electric blanket or hot water bottles?

Our heating is electric btw, thanks in advance :)

U can get microwave version of a hot water bottle but to be honest about it i think the difference between boiling a kettle and using a electric blanket would be 6 and two threes its just a preference but i would imagine an electric blanket would be better.

Julia
21-Nov-08, 18:47
At least the electric blanket would warm most of the bed, whereas a hot water bottle only warms your feet, then it gets too hot and you have to continually keep moving it around and then sticking your feet on the bit it's just been on. [lol]

joxville
21-Nov-08, 19:24
I use neither. I've been told by so many that I am HOT! [lol]

Ash
21-Nov-08, 19:56
for me its the hot water bottle my dad used to be a fireman so he would never allow me to have an electric blanket :eek:

TBH
21-Nov-08, 20:20

Our heating is electric btw, thanks in advance :)Fill the bottle up from the hot water tap, it should be hot enough to make you comfortable.

I use neither. I've been told by so many that I am HOT! [lol]They were only humouring you, Jox.[lol]

Ricco
21-Nov-08, 20:50
I think it depends how long you leave the electric blanket on, if you can find the power rating for both, that would be the wattage, a kettle using 2 kilowatts (2000 watts) for 3 minutes would be equivalent to say 200 watts for 30 minutes if that was the power rating of the electric blanket.

Yep - they will both work out quite expensive over a period of time. Can't beat a hot woman, though.... and its free! ;)

pirateeye
21-Nov-08, 21:16
i would use both if my blanket hadn't broken recently im soooo cold i dont know how im still alive but then miracles do happen
i always use the bottle, sometimes even during the day. my last blanket i had had 9 heat settings and up to 6 could be used all night but i used to leave it on 9 all the time....:eek: i was so cold!

joxville
21-Nov-08, 22:04
I use neither. I've been told by so many that I am HOT! [lol]

They were only humouring you, Jox.[lol]

No they were not. How dare you doubt the members of The Helen Keller Society. :D

TBH
21-Nov-08, 22:12
No they were not. How dare you doubt the members of The Helen Keller Society. :DI apologise profusely but they did say the spots on your face were the equivalent of braille for cosmetically challenged.:lol:

joxville
21-Nov-08, 22:31
I apologise profusely but they did say the spots on your face were the equivalent of braille for cosmetically challenged.:lol:

They'll never spot me coming though. :D

Fran
22-Nov-08, 04:26
I got a great electric blanket from Boots, fleecy with extra foot warmth, with different settings and can be used all night. Its an underblanket. Best thing is that it heats the bed in only 10 minutes, so that wont cost much on electric!!

Fluff
22-Nov-08, 08:36
Thats what I was thinking Fran, put it on 10-20 mins before bed then turn it off. Last night we used both bottles so had to boil kettle twice. Do you find it holds the heat ok once off, or does it go cold pretty quickly?

cuddlepop
22-Nov-08, 10:32
I prefer a good old fashioned hot water bottle with its own furry case.
I find an electric blanket to hot and expensive.

Mum use to swear by her "pig" ;)

Angela
22-Nov-08, 11:10
Mum use to swear by her "pig" ;)

lol cuddlepop, I had my own 'pig' when I was a wee girl! :lol:

Last night was so cold here I had to have two hot water bottles plus a warm cat! ;)

Sapphire2803
22-Nov-08, 14:25
We worked this out a couple of weeks ago for my Mother in law.
It worked out that running an electric blanket on full power all night was about the same as filling two hot water bottles.
Of course you wouldn't run the blanket on full power all night. The setting on them for all night is actually very efficient.

arana negra
22-Nov-08, 14:31
We have an underblanket with seperate controls for each side, one can be hotter than other or one of one on. We only use it for 10/15 mins to warm bed. If I am cold then I use my micro bottle, lasts quite a while and also doubles as a warm pad for aches/pains.

floyed
22-Nov-08, 14:36
None, a good old snuggle under the blankets keeps me warm:eek::lol:

DeHaviLand
22-Nov-08, 17:01
My electric blanket is on 24 hours a day. Cost for that is 20p per day! Why would you bother with a hot water bottle?

percy toboggan
22-Nov-08, 17:31
I sleep on me own at the mo....largely due to the rigour sof arthritic discomfort.
I use neither but have started to weear wincyette jim-jams. I relaise I'm finally blowing my street cred out of the window but it's in tatters anyway.

I never thought I'd succumb to pyjamas but last month the local M & S outlet had a 'bogoff' and perce were tempted like. Now? I'd not be without 'em...it were cowld last neet---damn cowld!

To retrieve my shattered reputation: by April I'll be back to vest and pants
(joke).

Fran
22-Nov-08, 18:18
Thats what I was thinking Fran, put it on 10-20 mins before bed then turn it off. Last night we used both bottles so had to boil kettle twice. Do you find it holds the heat ok once off, or does it go cold pretty quickly?

I think once you get in a warm bed your body adapts and keps the same temperature so no need to keep an electric blanket on all night..............and a hot water bottle soon goes cold.

badger
22-Nov-08, 18:59
Hot water bottle every time and two at the moment. As TBH says, you can fill from the hot tap and if you switch off just before it boils I can't think it uses much. Also with a good cover they stay warm all night. Somehow much cosier than a blanket. Cheap duvet underneath is good too and costs much less than those "loft" things.

Kevin Milkins
22-Nov-08, 22:12
My answear to the question Fluff is I don't know.:confused However in 1984 we lived in a draughty old farm cottage with no double glazing, central heating, or loft insulation.

We had a very cold snap for about 4 days and Mrs M went to collect the hot water bottles out of the bed for refilling for that night and they were frozen solid in the bed.:eek:

We decided on an electric blanket after that.

Most houses today seem to come up to the modern standards and don't seem to get that cold indoors now, thank christ.