PDA

View Full Version : christmas traditions

kitty kat
17-Nov-08, 10:04
seen as how we have everyone in the festive spirit, what tradition do you have for christmas?

my only tradition is forgetting to defrost something :lol:

alanatkie
17-Nov-08, 10:13
Kids are allowed to open 1 present before bed on Xmas Eve.
Then before hubby & i go to bed we open all our presents & tidy the paper away.

Kids wake us up in the morning so we all come down stairs together - they have to have breakfast before they are allowed in to the sitting room to see what Santa has left.(mean i know but at least they have something in their tummys before they start on selection boxes) If im lucky i get a glass o champers while i watch them rip open the pressies.

All the relatives call or get called in due course to say thanks for what they got then kids can eat & play with what ever they want til dinner around 3.

anneoctober
17-Nov-08, 10:16
seen as how we have everyone in the festive spirit, what tradition do you have for christmas?

my only tradition is forgetting to defrost something :lol:
Its all about the brussel sprouts is n't it?!:eek: So this year I've found xmas crakers containing "wind up" sprouts so we can all race our sprouts ( to the bathroom?!) after dinner............[lol]

mccaugm
17-Nov-08, 10:33
We allow the bairns to open one present after the midnigt service, its after midnight...so its Christmas day.:D The bairns come through to our room and bring a present for everyone and we open them together. We then enjoy a lovely cooked breakfast and then its a trip to the church for some fabby Carols....gotta have Carols at Christmas. Home to open the rest of the presents. Lunch is at 3pm, (none of us can be bothered with the Queen twittering about her annus horribilus). Lunch can last for hours. Then its the traditional grizzling over who washes and who drys. Then the bairns play with their toys etc..and the adults get stuck into some beverages and a decent Christmas movie. Mum (who insists on everyone putting on half a stone in a day) at about 8 makes snacks for everyone. I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!! Then we just chill out for the rest of the evening...try and persuade over excited and totall knackered children to bed.

kitty kat
17-Nov-08, 10:42
Its all about the brussel sprouts is n't it?!:eek: So this year I've found xmas crakers containing "wind up" sprouts so we can all race our sprouts ( to the bathroom?!) after dinner............[lol][/quote]

i love this idea very good

i am so happy every year i cant wait to see the new coca cola advert (i no i am abit easy pleased) i love them especialy the polar bear ones but they just showed a tiny clip of the truck behind a few trees thats it i no for shore christmas is coming

Dorrie
17-Nov-08, 12:03
It has been traditional in our house for years now for Santa to leave a bottle of champagne for me. :D

However, a couple of years back when our daughter took her (now husband) boyfriend to ours for Christmas dinner, the champagne went down rather too well, I ended up in bed giggling and the soon to be hubby took over cooking the Christmas dinner! :eek:

He made a rather good job of it and they are back this year, however I think I will stay sober! lol

I can't wait until my other daughter comes up for Christmas with the grandchildren though. That's what it's all about for me.

Kevin Milkins
17-Nov-08, 12:15
My favourite Christmas:eek: tradition is on the twelth day I can take all the lights and decorations down shove them in a box and put them back in the loft for about another 10 month's.;)
Baa humbug:Razz

kitty kat
17-Nov-08, 12:18
My favourite Christmas:eek: tradition is on the twelth day I can take all the lights and decorations down shove them in a box and put them back in the loft for about another 10 month's.;)
Baa humbug:Razz

no way there must be something you like about christmas

or where you naughty did santa never get you what you wanted

p.s 1st of december my christmas lights go up but its all for my daughter wink wink

Blondie
17-Nov-08, 12:20
Its all about the brussel sprouts is n't it?!:eek: So this year I've found xmas crakers containing "wind up" sprouts so we can all race our sprouts ( to the bathroom?!) after dinner............[lol]

Where did you get them from? [lol]

anneoctober
17-Nov-08, 12:39
Where did you get them from? [lol]
www.hawkin.com (http://www.hawkin.com)
I think........:eek:

Kevin Milkins
17-Nov-08, 13:54
no way there must be something you like about christmas

or where you naughty did santa never get you what you wanted

p.s 1st of december my christmas lights go up but its all for my daughter wink wink

I do enjoy the singing of carols but the over indulgence and the comercial aspect of it all has made me a bit of a grumpy old git and glad when its over.

kitty kat
17-Nov-08, 14:45
www.hawkin.com (http://www.hawkin.com)
I think........:eek:

this is the exact page

http://www.hawkin.com/find/category-is-Gifts/category-is-Christmas/pgs-is-58

Julia
17-Nov-08, 15:50
I always visit the cemetery with a Holly Wreath for my Grandparents and a Christmas posy for my Daughter. It's my only tradition.

Ash
17-Nov-08, 15:56
I always visit the cemetery with a Holly Wreath for my Grandparents and a Christmas posy for my Daughter. It's my only tradition.

thats lovely

Anne x
17-Nov-08, 20:32
Pack my Suitcase and head for the Carib for me

Christmas Traditions are lovely when we were all growing up it was a magical time but if you have a small family or no family around it can be a time of Melancholy, Lonliness and Memories and the Queen at 3

joxville
17-Nov-08, 21:21

I traditionally look forward to going back to work. The holiday is too long and the true meaning was lost long ago. We've adopted the American way of celebrating-know the price of everything and value of nothing. Bah-bloody-humbug.

brandy
17-Nov-08, 21:29
i love christmas! *G* just the buildup is great! the kids are getting old enough to actually really get into it now!
ive carried on a tradition that we did as children, and thats to help decorate the tree. i will pu ton the lights and tinsel, then i plunk the huge box of baubles down and sam and ben get to hang them where ever they will... i will help with the high up bits. the bottom is always heavily decorated but thats the best part.. it may not be the most best designed tree in the world and def. wouldnt win a beauty contest.. but its just perfect for us..
looking forward to the school play this year! sam in P1 and ben in nursery!
we get to bake cookies! they love that! may even try my hand at a gingerbread house this year!
will get to tell the the nativity this year with loads of questions asked! sams curiosity knows no bounds! just really enjoy the cozy time and the family time, when we take a moment to be a family instead of running around all the time.. and be thankful for everything we have!

jock leith
18-Nov-08, 10:25
When I lived in the UK,my kids were always encouraged to think of other children who were less fortunate than themselves ,each year they took part in the Shoe Box appeal,Two shoe boxes were filled with small practical gifts,one for a girl & boy with age range written on box.
We still carry on the the same tradition with the Grand Kids over here in NZ.

Tugmistress
18-Nov-08, 11:35
As i now spend christmas alone, last year i went out with my camera for a few hours and got some lovely shots, so, weather permitting that's what i'll do this year too.
The only thing that has remained a constant is i spend a little time 'talking' to my grandad christmas day, even after 28 years i still miss him.

Thumper
18-Nov-08, 16:00
My tradition seems to be always forgetting something!Every year I buy things then promptly lose them or forget about them,I am still looking for some things I bought last year and have never seen since and two years ago I found a bag full of presents that had been hidden for 2 years! :roll: x

hotrod4
18-Nov-08, 16:43
I used to always have a "square sausage piece" for breakfast when I was growing up.No presents were allowed to be opened until we had all eaten our breakfast.Still keep it going to a degree,no-one gets to open their presents until we are ALL ready. That way the whole family enjoys it.:Razz

grumpy1
18-Nov-08, 18:14
every year the kids and myself bake fresh cookies for santa...and make up the special reindeer food which has to sprinkled on the outside of their bedroom windows.... we must be doing it right as Santa never fails to stop at our house:Razz:Razz

kitty kat
18-Nov-08, 20:35
I used to always have a "square sausage piece" for breakfast when I was growing up.No presents were allowed to be opened until we had all eaten our breakfast.Still keep it going to a degree,no-one gets to open their presents until we are ALL ready. That way the whole family enjoys it.:Razz

i have to confess its me that wakes up at stupid oclock and wakes every one up this year i will try and contain myself and manage to eat breakfast first[lol]