View Full Version : Using two routers on the same line?

davem
16-Nov-08, 01:03
Hi All
Have a wireless router that doesn't reach everywhere I want it to work.
Can I just use another wireless router in an extension socket or will that just confuse the ones and zeros?
Thanks Dave

octane
16-Nov-08, 01:07
depending on what models the routers are and if one of them is capable of being set as an access point.

You will have to look up both your routers to see which one can do it.

Brizer2k7
16-Nov-08, 05:05
Hi,

Normally you shouldn't be be able to plug two routers into the same phone line. Thats if they both have a built in modem that connects to the ADSL service.

If you are having problems getting wireless to connect in different parts of your house then maybe the wireless signal being transmitted from the router is not strong enough. One of my friends has tried a Netgear RangeMax router and seems to get a connection everywhere in the house - see link here - http://www.netgear.co.uk/rangemax_wirelessrouter_wpn824.php

Or maybe it will never work because you have solid stone or brick walls? Generally, new build houses with plasterboard walls have less problems with wireless connectivity.

Any more issues then try this useful wireless FAQ's site - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/wireless-faq-security-uk,review-1736.html

davem
16-Nov-08, 08:55
Thanks - they're both home hubs old and new. The one I can't get is in a shed outside _ yes stone walls! Whats the best and cheapest way - a 30 m cat 5 cable is £17 or so. Or is it better to buy some sort of a repeater for the attic or outside wall?

blueivy
16-Nov-08, 14:21
Thanks - they're both home hubs old and new. The one I can't get is in a shed outside _ yes stone walls! Whats the best and cheapest way - a 30 m cat 5 cable is £17 or so. Or is it better to buy some sort of a repeater for the attic or outside wall?

Does it have power out there (I assume it does)? If so you could use powerline plugs to do the job. They work using the electricity circuits in the house to transmit signals along and are around £50 for a pair (some cheaper some more expensive). Some work through the board all over the house and some only work on the same circuit.

If you are prepared to run Cat5 it would be best to use that. More secure, less hassle (other than running it) and will generally just work without any more hassles.

Alternatively, you could run a Cat5 cable to the other wireless router and use that instead )so you have two wireless routers connected by Cat5). Done this many times and works fine.

gillian17
19-Nov-08, 18:04
I don't know if this helps but I use two modems (not wireless) one upstairs/one downstairs. They work great but only one can be on at once.

davem
19-Nov-08, 19:50
Thanks paul and gillian - we need both to work at the same time so the cable seems the best and cheapest.
Ta for all advice D

Deemac
20-Nov-08, 13:27
Just make sure DCHP is disabled on the extension box (unless you assign static IP addresses) This worked for me fine with a similar scenario as yourself. Log into the router and adjust to suit.