10-Nov-08, 00:34
i accidently downloaded microsoft security centre spyware virus onto laptop
now can only get on certain websites
dont reall know what to do
any help would be very appreciated

thanks

Bobinovich
10-Nov-08, 14:26
Recommend downloading & running Spybot (www.spybot.com (http://www.spybot.com)) if you can, or use another PC to do so & transfer it using a USB drive.

Brizer2k7
11-Nov-08, 03:07
another good one is Malwarebytes from http://www.malwarebytes.org/ also free and can pick up viruses spybot might miss

dirtywicker
11-Nov-08, 10:19
thanks for those
i tried spybot with no luck so
going to try thr other one just now

Sapphire2803
11-Nov-08, 11:52
If you don't fix it with that it may be an idea to install Hijack This (http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download). You can then post the results of the HJT scan on here which will let the resident experts know exactly what they are dealing with.

blueivy
11-Nov-08, 16:47
i accidently downloaded microsoft security centre spyware virus onto laptop
now can only get on certain websites
dont reall know what to do
any help would be very appreciated

thanks

How do you know you've downloaded spyware? How do you know it's called Microsoft Security Centre (spyware)?

Do you have antivirus / antispyware on the PC that told you what you had downloaded?

dirtywicker
11-Nov-08, 17:38
hi when i try to get on websites ie. bebo or ebay
it comes up microsoft security centre with a warning page
and it say your computer has been attacked please download anti spyware so i did that(stupid me lol)
& i had some1 look at it & she said that was the virus i downloaded
spybot or malware have not worked so far & now im stuck?
any other ideas?

blueivy
11-Nov-08, 17:42
and it say your computer has been attacked please download anti spyware so i did that(stupid me lol)

Can you remember what antispyware it asked you to download?

any other ideas?

Did you try Malwarebytes that Brizer2k7 suggested?

I'd also suggest trying a trial of VIPRE which you can get at http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/VIPRE/ - it's commercial but there is a 15 day fully working trial available.

crofter
16-Nov-08, 00:30
any other ideas?

I have done the same. I got a bebo message which was supposed to be from a relative but it was actually a virus. It was disguised as a video and when I went to watch it I downloaded a virus. Likewise I have tried AVG and AVAST and it has no effect.

dirtywicker
16-Nov-08, 11:01
I have done the same. I got a bebo message which was supposed to be from a relative but it was actually a virus. It was disguised as a video and when I went to watch it I downloaded a virus. Likewise I have tried AVG and AVAST and it has no effect.
i think thats what iv done as well then
iv tried all that was suggested with no luck!

blueivy
16-Nov-08, 14:25
i think thats what iv done as well then
iv tried all that was suggested with no luck!

Removing something like this can either be straightforward or a bit of a nightmare. It looks like you have the nightmare end of the spectrum.

If you've tried everything suggested here then I'd look for professional help to remove it or alternatively look at backing up, wiping, re-installing windows and restoring your data. That is usually the quickest, easiest and best way of getting rid of something as pesky as this appears to be.

Connor.
18-Nov-08, 13:35
I had the virus a while back but what i did to get rid of it was to do a seach for it in the search system in windows and look for the following items:

antivirus
MSantivirus
MS2008
MS2009
MS09
MS08

Hopefully you can distinguish what files you need and what ones are the infection. Then once you have done that run the malwarebytes.org program that will remove the rest of the program that was installed by this malware.

Wicksy
19-Nov-08, 11:05
I have come across this many times in my work environment and it generally distinguishes itself as Antivirus XP/2009. The only way to really clean the virus from your machine is to delete the related files it installs and then go through the Registry with a fine toothcomb and remove the specific entries.

As the registry can be very daunting, I would suggest you get a IT Professional to do this.

dirtywicker
19-Nov-08, 12:28
does any1 know any1 who could have a look at it for me?
it is a compaq laptop
& how much would it cost?

octane
19-Nov-08, 15:04
pm sent pal, Ill get ya sorted.

Cheers for the recomendation Bob

crofter
28-Nov-08, 00:11
Removing something like this can either be straightforward or a bit of a nightmare. It looks like you have the nightmare end of the spectrum.

If you've tried everything suggested here then I'd look for professional help to remove it or alternatively look at backing up, wiping, re-installing windows and restoring your data. That is usually the quickest, easiest and best way of getting rid of something as pesky as this appears to be.

Tried everything and eventually got help to back up, wipe and re-install windows and restore data. Thanks for advice now up and running again.:)

andrewmccoy
04-Dec-08, 23:13
Right ok guys the best and sometimes only way to get rid some of these virus's/spyware at the moment is running an external scan preferably an online AV. luckily there are a few my personnal favorite is

http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml
run this and it should help

the problem is with AV these days how they work is if you click on something say a add your AV will go oh look they want it , it must be safe and allows it to do whatever it wants. An online AV is external and therefore it has an impartial scan which should pick it up. ( watch out for the msn virus )

blueivy
05-Dec-08, 12:18
the problem is with AV these days how they work is if you click on something say a add your AV will go oh look they want it , it must be safe and allows it to do whatever it wants.

Any antivirus or antispyware worth it's salt won't assume that because you clicked something that it is okay. There are a million ways to 'click' something from a spyware authors point of view and if the av/as software let it through as okay because we clicked it we'd all be infected. Any av or as that DOES do that is a pointless waste of time and needs to be replaced quickly.

An online AV is external and therefore it has an impartial scan which should pick it up. ( watch out for the msn virus )If you are already infected then an external scan is easier to defeat than one on your computer (the F-Secure one uses an ActiveX control and Javascript which is much the same as the others). Online av scanners only scan your machine when you request it and don't monitor your systems for infections so they are only really useful AFTER you've been infected. The best defence against spyware or viruses is to stop infection before it occurs. The best defence against that is to unplug the computer from the wall. Because that's not exactly practical an on-access / active scanning antivirus and antispyware application, that will scan files and web pages (etc.) when they are used, is best along with a very good and correctly configured firewall to stop nasties getting in by other methods.